Thread: best de-leading agent for barrel?

in front of my computer, WI

best de-leading agent for barrel?

A friend is wondering what to buy.

NE Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    A friend is wondering what to buy.
    I use all-copper "Chore Boy" brand pot scrubbers. Start unwinding the copper "yarn" and wind it around a worn bronze brush to make a nice tight fit in the bore. After cleaning the carbon fouling with solvent, run the Chore Boy brush through a few times to clean out the lead.

Also, if he is getting a lot of lead fouling, he probably needs to adjust the load (if handloading) or try another brand if using factory. Proper sizing of the bullet to the bore is crucial, as is bullet hardness.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

North Chesterfield VA
    Lewis Lead Remover is a great mechanical method.

Lead-Away cloths cut into patches that fit tight in the bore do a good chemical cleaning, but I've found them better if used behind the Lewis Lead Remover.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    N. Chesterfield, Va.
    Liberty Lubricants solvent gets the lead and carbon out - have found nothing comparable. My son tells me it's great for black powder guns too.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Slidell, Louisiana
    I use Safari Charlie Gun Lube. It's not only one of the best cleaners I've used for carbon and lead deposits, but it's a dry lube that bonds to the metal. After one cleaning you'll notice much less build-up making future cleanings very easy.