• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Requirement to notify a school that you own a gun- proposal SB 23

Midwest

Requirement to notify a school that you own a gun- proposal SB 23

(This is Public Information from a Government site and should not have any copyright limitations)

Is anyone talking about this?
What are you doing to defeat this?

http://www.senate.mo.gov/15info/BTS_Web/Bill.aspx?SessionType=R&BillID=66

" This act requires a parent or guardian to notify a school district, or the governing body of a private or charter school, that he or she owns a firearm within 30 days of enrolling the child in school or becoming the owner of a firearm.

The written notification only needs to include the names of the parent and any child attending the school and the fact that the parent owns a firearm.

A person only needs to send one written notification if he or she has multiple children attending the school or becomes the owner of additional firearms. Any time a new child is enrolled in a school the parent or guardian must send an updated notification with the new child's name.

Failure to notify the school under this act is an infraction, punishable by a fine of up to $100. If a person is found guilty of negligent storage of a firearm and has failed to notify the school of firearm ownership, the person must be fined $1,000 in addition to any other penalties authorized by law. "

kcgunfan

It's submitted every year, and never make it out of committee

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Redbaron007

Would anybody really obey such a law anyway? I wouldn't. They can sit and spin on that one. :lol:
^^^
Very eloquently stated!

As stated earlier, this person does this or something very similar almost every year. None, that I recall, have made it out of committee. I've speak with my reps every year and just like last year, they assured it has zero traction.....even with the more liberal legislators.

Midwest

Read her other bills proposed -- if you are ready for a good laugh..

http://www.senate.mo.gov/15info/bts_web/sponsoredby.aspx?SessionType=R&legislatorid=440

SB 23 and SB 60 are exactly the same. ????

"SB 23 - Creates the crimes of failing to stop illegal firearm possession, negligent storage of a firearm, and failure to notify a school of firearm ownership
SB 60 - Creates the crimes of failing to stop illegal weapon possession, negligent storage of a weapon, and failure to notify a school of weapon ownership"

XD40sc

Would anybody really obey such a law anyway? I wouldn't. They can sit and spin on that one. :lol:

One serious flaw in your statement, you clearly don't have a grasp on how stupid some that have mastered walking upright can be.

OC for ME

"SB 23 - Creates the crimes of failing to stop illegal firearm possession, negligent storage of a firearm, and failure to notify a school of firearm ownership
SB 60 - Creates the crimes of failing to stop illegal weapon possession, negligent storage of a weapon, and failure to notify a school of weapon ownership"
It is similar to leaflet dropping in a propaganda campaign. Eventually someone will pick up a leaflet and read it.

If you have to read a great many bills, it is hoped that you may vote yes on one because you figured you'd read it after you passed it and then fix it later if you screwed the pooch.

Oramac

Oh no, no, no! They are COMPLETELY different!! See, SB23 says "firearm" and SB60 says "weapon"!! That makes them totally different.

/sarcasm

Griz

One serious flaw in your statement, you clearly don't have a grasp on how stupid some that have mastered walking upright can be.

St. Louis democrats do it all the time. Most of my family can qualify that statement.