• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabellas in east Hartford, making u hand over ur gun

Good Citizen

I was at Cabela's in East Hartford this weekend and there was a guy employee with a bright orange vest on sitting at a desk with a sign saying they want to keep all their patrons safe, saying that you had to come over to them hand him your weapon, he cleared the weapon and then wrote something down and gave it back to you?

I'm wondering what the legality of that is, either you can bring the pistol into an establishment or they put a sign there and say you can't (No firearms allowed) then you would be breaking the law.

How can they put a sign there and make you take your weapon out and show it to them, Hand it to the guy when he removes the magazine I saw one guy having to show him how to even hit the slide release ,why do they write need to things down. That's like a forced search so in my opinion I don't think you'd be technically breaking the law by just simply walking in, because they allow firearms in the store and I don't believe they can force you to be searched.

They caught you in there they could probably call the police and get you busted for breach of peace or
something because you can follow their rules?

Dude clearing the guns had like four parachute para cord bracelets on one arm trying to act all tough
looking at everybody's waste, You're more likely to have a accidental discharge forcing everybody to take
out their firearm let this dork handle it

davidmcbeth

Banned
******* off people carrying guns does not appear to accomplish the goal ... of keeping people safe inside their building.

Hand over my gun? That's not going to happen. With anyone who asks. Except my cat. Where he puts them all I don't know.

korwintkr

I was there on Black Friday. I saw that station and the sign. There were two employees to the left of the station (as you walk in) and two state police in the foyer just outside.

When I saw the sign I specifically asked if I could carry in the store or if I had to turn in my gun; I would have just turned around and gone home after the 45 minute drive at 4am.

The guy grinned and said loudly "You most certainly can carry your weapon in the store, we just request you please keep it in your holster!"

He said that desk was for weapons purchased upstairs that needed to be "walked out" - meaning unboxed used weapons. Which is exactly where I picked up my Mosin-Nagant on the way out the store with my full-sized 1911 on my strong side.

So unless something has changed in three weeks, I'm not sure you have to turn anything in. Or they got it wrong. I dunno. I'm no Cabela's fan, I've been there twice.

brk913

You only need to stop and have them check your gun if you will be taking it out in the store, like for a trade in or to test a holster. Every time I go in if they ask if I am going to take that out of it's holster, I just smile as I walk by and say, "I sure hope not".

Good Citizen

:confused::confused:The guy grinned and said loudly "You most certainly can carry your weapon in the store, we just request you please keep it in your holster!"

He said that desk was for weapons purchased upstairs that needed to be "walked out" - meaning unboxed used weapons. Which is exactly where I picked up my Mosin-Nagant on the way out the store with my full-sized 1911 on my strong side.

So unless something has changed in three weeks, I'm not sure you have to turn anything in. Or they got it wrong. I dunno. I'm no Cabela's fan, I've been there twice:confused::confused:

I was in there this weekend I observed a gentleman with a holstered concealed 1911 have to walk up to the counter and the orange shirted clerk took his weapon where he cleared it into a ammo dispensing container wrote down the serial number or something and then handed it back to him, and he went about his business, then entered the store to shop??​

Rich B

If you comply, what is the issue?

They always ask this as they prefer you to 'check your weapon'. Say 'no thanks' and walk through. If they insist, get management involved.

Brian D.

Contact corporate. Overzealous Cabela's managers have set up this same formula for epic fail on their own at other stores across the country a few times, the folks at HQ will put a stop to it if you complain.

As others have stated above, the one thing ALL negligent discharge incidents have in common is the fact that the firearm was BEING HANDLED at the time of the undesired 'BOOM'. Also, assuming the store doesn't set up a bullet trap clearing barrel of some kind, there's really no safe direction at the front of a big box store to point a muzzle in while handling and unloading a gun. Anybody who's truly a safe, responsible firearms owner already realizes this. That's likely not a requirement to get through Cabela's "Store Manager University" if you will.

jackrockblc

Thankfully, the Cabela's near my area doesn't do that. They requested I keep it holstered (which I did both times I've OC'd there), but that's it.

I will not hand them - or anybody else not required by law - my weapon. Not going to happen. I don't know who they are, I don't know if they're allowed to handle firearms. And I can't go off of "Cabela's said so", since their corporate policy says to follow local and state laws only - so this store "saying so" is already against policy.

I agree with the above assessment that this is almost certainly the result of an overzealous anti manager at that location.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You only need to stop and have them check your gun if you will be taking it out in the store, like for a trade in or to test a holster. Every time I go in if they ask if I am going to take that out of it's holster, I just smile as I walk by and say, "I sure hope not".

I can see them being concerned but as others have noted the concerns of them handling the gun. They should just say if you are going to trade it in or test holsters with it, then bring it unloaded. You can carry a 2nd gun.