• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP denied by sheriff, questions and what i can do

solus

I am sorry martinez11, but taking numerous quote gun safety classes, been to the range hundreds of times in the last few years, and am 100% sober. Holding down a steady welding job and contributing to society unquote yet you seem apparently quite reactionary to criticism to something you brought up on a public forum. succinctly stated, based on what you posted... what maverick stated is what occurred YOU shot someone with a firearm!!

you have been given advice, yet not provided any feedback on you follow through to include you calmly scheduling an appointment with the deputy in charge of Adam's County CHP section where you in an non-adversarial conversation about YOUR path forward to getting your CO CHP.

mate, we all make mistakes ~ both while young but also when older, but your defensiveness tells a lot and may be what is precluding you from reaching a satisfactory resolution, but only you know where it stems from and only you can decide to stay in the 'woe is me' mentality or put that mentality behind you and move on.

So best of luck in your quest, but the one lesson you should have learned by now by posting your personal experience on a public forum is to put your bloody ego in your pocket, take the free advice with a grain of salt, and move on that advice which seems reasonable to you to reach your quest.

ipse

Last edited:

Martinez11

Understood this is public, and people have opinions

Defensiveness= defending myself when people make the situation even worse than it is, by pretty much implying that it was intentional. I have provided the changes ive made in my life, ive talked to the sheriff and lawyers about how to proceed and that is what I am doing. Keeping on the straight and narrow. It seems like still though, thats not good enough. I am trying, people change and so do their actions.

Martinez11

Just a request

Everyone who has commented I do thank for the input. Its not that I am getting angry and getting an attitude with you guys, its just frustrating hearing these same remarks from family, friends, police, medical professionals, etc for the last three years. Im not trying to shift blame or forget about what happened, but more just trying to move forward from where I was. Once again, everyone is entitled to their opinion 100%, I am planning on taking NRA classes in the future, I want to possibly share my story with other people that are new to firearms. Thank you all for listening

JamesB

So...
Details aside, your permit to Conceal was denied.

Yet as I understand it, you can still pass a background check to purchase a firearm. Well then...

Welcome to Open Carry! That's what we do here and what we talk about.

Even without a permit, you can legally open carry in the state of Colorado. Strap on a holster.
Show everyone that you actually are and mean to be a responsible member of society.

Congratulations.

Martinez11

March on

James B thank you for the welcome. I have been open carrying for awhile but sometimes find myself stuck on whether or not to carry into some places. It will all come in Due time.

solus

forgive me, but rereading this thread, nowhere does the OP specifically state they can purchase a firearm from a FFL. James made the comment, but the OP has stated that fact.

additionally, one of the reasons the OP is denied is the report could have been written up as an intimate partner DV shooting?

I am unable to discern any mention or accounts in the CO papers or court records of an accidental discharge where a female was injured during Jan-June '12 timeframe.

ipse

solus

Not completely so. The OP "thinks" he can pass a background check to buy a gun, but he "thought" he could get a permit, too. He was wrong about the later, the former is unknown.

gutshot would you kindly point out the number of the OP's post in this thread where he 'thinks' or even mentioned where he believes he can pass the NICS to purchase a firearm?

thanks...

ipse

solus

you know gutshot it sounds just like the very same logic that musta been used by george and his merry band of 'dooo-gooders' (dick-the shotgun-sharpshooter & whats-his-face rumsfeld) when they decided WMD existed in iraq!
their use of the logic & deduction worked exceptionally well...huh!

ipse

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

you know gutshot it sounds just like the very same logic that musta been used by george and his merry band of 'dooo-gooders' (dick-the shotgun-sharpshooter & whats-his-face rumsfeld) when they decided WMD existed in iraq!
their use of the logic & deduction worked exceptionally well...huh!

ipse

It has since been proven that they were correct and that the toxins were moved out of the country before we got there. Keep up on the subject. As people keep digging more facts come to light.

What Everyone was incorrect on was the amount and efficacy of the chemicals.

solus

It has since been proven that they were correct and that the toxins were moved out of the country before we got there. Keep up on the subject. As people keep digging more facts come to light.

i'm sorry to point out OCW, per forum criteria...your cite for this revelation...wiki doesn't count!!

here's mine from the NY times...

quote: The weapons were not part of massive, active stockpiles that the United States set out to destroy by waging a war that would last eight years, take thousands of lives and leave Iraq in chaos. They were “remnants of long-abandoned programs, built in close collaboration with the West,” Mr. Chivers writes. unquote. http://op-talk.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/17/who-was-right-about-w-m-d-s-in-iraq/

ipse

Phoenix David

You may want to get the case file from the shooting incident and see how it was written up, I would guess you could get it under some kind of freedom of information request, it could be written in such a way that it puts you in a really bad light and that could be impacting the decision.

Also you want to keep that friend happy for at least the next few years till that statute tolls as she can sue you at any time for the shooting.

OldCurlyWolf

i'm sorry to point out OCW, per forum criteria...your cite for this revelation...wiki doesn't count!!

here's mine from the NY times...

quote: The weapons were not part of massive, active stockpiles that the United States set out to destroy by waging a war that would last eight years, take thousands of lives and leave Iraq in chaos. They were “remnants of long-abandoned programs, built in close collaboration with the West,” Mr. Chivers writes. unquote. http://op-talk.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/17/who-was-right-about-w-m-d-s-in-iraq/

ipse

Since I didn't cite Wiki or anyone else your comment is without merit.

As is any cite from they NYT.
:cool:

solus

sorry, still awaiting your cite for your statement OCW!

ipse

Martinez11

Change of Plans

Been pretty busy with work so havent been on in awhile. I have passed several background checks, the last being in October of last year. I have a copy of the report and its written up pretty straight forward, saying that the friend was lying and telling officers people in a "random car" shot her. I had got in touch with police at the hospital and just laid the story out, so it wasnt so much as making it look like domestic violence. In the meeting with the sheriff I mentioned the fact that I had told the truth from the beginning, knowing that if the police were looking for that "random car" it would put officers and citizens in danger (doesnt make a difference). After the denial, and taking a step back from the situation, I can see both sides of it. I do feel that waiting 5+ years is extreme but hey, I'll open carry. There has been a change of plans for me though, I'll be moving to Washington state soon for a better welding gig:banana:! I contacted the Firearms Permit division there and gave a brief rundown of my story. I expected a "dont even waste your time" back from them but was actually told if I pass their background check then there shouldn't be a problem. I am still going to wait awhile and get those extra classes in before trying again. Any other advice for me?

Maverick9

Yes...master your anger issues, don't play with your firearm(s), don't play with them in your room with friends; do so only at the range, don't do it with ammo present, and don't point guns at anyone you don't plan to destroy.

Be advised that using a firearm for a firing solution to any situation is the last resort, in the gravest extreme. Don't do anything you wouldn't do unarmed.

Go, and be at peace.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Been pretty busy with work so havent been on in awhile. I have passed several background checks, the last being in October of last year. I have a copy of the report and its written up pretty straight forward, saying that the friend was lying and telling officers people in a "random car" shot her. I had got in touch with police at the hospital and just laid the story out, so it wasnt so much as making it look like domestic violence. In the meeting with the sheriff I mentioned the fact that I had told the truth from the beginning, knowing that if the police were looking for that "random car" it would put officers and citizens in danger (doesnt make a difference). After the denial, and taking a step back from the situation, I can see both sides of it. I do feel that waiting 5+ years is extreme but hey, I'll open carry. There has been a change of plans for me though, I'll be moving to Washington state soon for a better welding gig:banana:! I contacted the Firearms Permit division there and gave a brief rundown of my story. I expected a "dont even waste your time" back from them but was actually told if I pass their background check then there shouldn't be a problem. I am still going to wait awhile and get those extra classes in before trying again. Any other advice for me?

Enjoy Washington State! If you ever make it to Spokane, I strongly encourage you to find a safe place for your firearm (friends?) and head to Nelson, Canada. While you're there, head to the Ainsworth Hot Springs. Relax. Chill. Enjoy life.

solus

Cmdr, not sure since9's tongue in cheek mentioned the bloke returning... :eek: (Since9, why did you pick on poor Spokane and it's citizens in your comment?)

Cmdr, the OP has yet to specifically state he can pass a NICS bkgnd, so as Marcellus said to Horatio... "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark" as i'm not sure the OP's complete story has been revealed.

ipse

Last edited:

Martinez11

Looking straight ahead

Since 9,

I worked in Moses Lake west of Spokane but I did visit there a couple times. Thank you for the suggestion though, will definitely look into it. The only hot springs I have been to are in Steamboat Springs, so something to look forward to. I did hear about the laws there and the disdain that the citizens have for it, but at least it isnt as bad as Colorado. Hopefully I can get a secure place and definitely a safe and not have to depend on anyone to watch them.
I have passed the background checks, my deepest condolences about forgetting to write NICS in front of it. Several NICS background checks cleared for me just last year. Several the year before. So there is nothing more to the story, I put it all out on the table for you guys. (Although Solus isnt satisfied) I actually read the report again a few weeks ago, still just crazy to remember it all. But, hopefully this move to the Northwest brings nothing but positivity, pictures from the Columbia are amazing. Thanks for the info gentlemen.

solus

Since 9,
I worked in Moses Lake west of Spokane but I did visit there a couple times. Thank you for the suggestion though, will definitely look into it. The only hot springs I have been to are in Steamboat Springs, so something to look forward to. I did hear about the laws there and the disdain that the citizens have for it, but at least it isnt as bad as Colorado. Hopefully I can get a secure place and definitely a safe and not have to depend on anyone to watch them.
I have passed the background checks, my deepest condolences about forgetting to write NICS in front of it. Several NICS background checks cleared for me just last year. Several the year before. So there is nothing more to the story, I put it all out on the table for you guys. (Although Solus isnt satisfied) I actually read the report again a few weeks ago, still just crazy to remember it all. But, hopefully this move to the Northwest brings nothing but positivity, pictures from the Columbia are amazing. Thanks for the info gentlemen.

satisfied...ah mate, let's clarify terminology shall we: the term background check is what the sheriff does when you apply for your conceal carry and is not synonymous with FBI's NICS bkgnd checks which the FFL uses to clear you to purchase a firearm.

so by your statement above, you have purchased several firearms from FFLs just last year, oh, sorry and several the year before? YET the adam's county sheriff refuses to allow you to have a concealed carry...

Martinez, you're right...still not satisfied with your story, something is not meshing with your tale of woe...but...c'est la vie...

enjoy eastern washington....

ipse

Last edited:

solus

NICS only has records of convictions (and possibly active restraining orders, not sure about that). Local law enforcement agencies will also show arrests. Many law enforcement agencies deny carry permits based on the arrests - even after the person is found not guilty or the charges are dropped. There are tons of stories of people whom local LEO agencies and state agencies have denied carry permits who legally qualify to purchase and possess firearms.

first, none of the OP's posts say he has passed a NICS background check or purchased a firearm...'he thinks he can'.

two, the OP states he still needs to take a course ~ mandatory for Colorado's conceal permit, (An original handgun training certificate or a photocopy that includes the original signature of the class instructor. Certificates must contain the applicant's name, course name, date of the course and the instructor’s original signature.) http://www.denvergov.org/police/Pol...ealedWeaponsPermits/tabid/441924/Default.aspx

three, OP's quote: its just frustrating hearing these same remarks from family, friends, police, medical professionals, etc for the last three years. unquote something has not been told yet if these ppl are telling him similar remarks.

four, CO CBI uses the other side of the FBI's database

five, it could be the medical or mental health check causing the problem not the background check

so let me ask you Cmdr, how do you believe the OP could qualify for a CO w/o even the training requirement met?

my presumption stands...the complete story has yet to be told i am afraid.

ipse

Last edited: