• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State police Issuing assault weapon certificates for non assault weapons

Good Citizen

I like many was disgusted at having to register my firearms and magazines so I waited till last minute and ended up mailing in my certificate on like December 28 by that time there was no one that I can call because they were way too busy,

I registered amongst others, a Smith & Wesson M&P 22 caliber rifle and a Mossberg shotgun pump with a pistol grip,

I received assult weapons certificates amongst others, for those two items which are not assault weapons, I learned that today after speaking to a detective today at the firearms licensing unit.

The state police officer told me I could bring in the two certificates for these two weapons and they would actually remove them from the database and move them over to the non assault data base, because they said they were taking everyone's word That they were sending in requests to register assault weapons as the state now defines them, he went on to say because they have so many request to process and they're understaffed, and just issued certificates for everything that they had received and just took the citizens word for it???

What would be "the benefit for me" by keeping the AR- 22 caliber rifle and a Mossberg shotgun on the assault weapon registry?

Last edited:

Swan

This is actually a great question/point. I also registered two non "assault weapons" and received certificates for them. (A Ruger 10/22 with pistol grip, and an SKS with a Monte Carlo stock) I believe that you and I were very smart for registering these items for two reasons: 1) If the state of Connecticut seeks to ban these guns in the future they we will already be grandfathered in due to being registered. 2) Since they were registered, they are considered "pre ban" and that means that you can modify them to your hearts desire. However, in the case of an SKS it still must be federally compliant. Anybody else what to chime in on this topic? Happy holidays friends!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Until the change they law again then.....................

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I sent DESPP my statement shortly after the PA13-3 was passed giving them my reasons why I cannot be required to register any weapons.

Still here, still free.

Believe what the state police tell ya huh? lol

Read the LAW , not listen to a cop -- you may find he told you the truth ... a Christmas miracle.

After they tell ya they'll destroy the records .. then ask to inspect them after they supposedly destroyed them.

Very smart for registering? You may not feel too smart when they vote to take your guns away and pay you a hundred bucks for them.

When I filed a FOI request (asking for any records considered or made in producing a recent report) with the OCA regarding their recent report that recommends remove all AW in the state (link: http://www.ct.gov/oca/lib/oca/sandyhook11212014.pdf) ... they responded back with a denial to access to the records... where the OCA head stated (and incorrectly so):

Records obtained by the OCA, however, are statutorily exempt from FOIA. Thank you and please let us know if you have other questions.

Go ahead and ask for just access to inspect any records from state agencies regarding sandy hook or any state agency report and see how many pages you get access to (not their goofy reports mind you). Zero.

Last edited:

Good Citizen

I Call B.S.

I sent DESPP my statement shortly after the PA13-3 was passed giving them my reasons why I cannot be required to register any weapons.

Still here, still free.

Believe what the state police tell ya huh? lol

Read the LAW , not listen to a cop -- you may find he told you the truth ... a Christmas miracle.

After they tell ya they'll destroy the records .. then ask to inspect them after they supposedly destroyed them.

Very smart for registering? You may not feel too smart when they vote to take your guns away and pay you a hundred bucks for them.

1. The officer told me he would move the items that were not necessary to be in the "assault database" out of it reasonable request no conspiracy there.

2. David if you think you can't be arrested or charged with a felony for not registering, why don't you go ahead and send the state police an email or post here on open carry just the number of assault weapons, or what are deemed now as assault weapons that you have, tell the state police they can't do **** about it, And you don't have to register them. Throw out how many magazines you have and didn't register, you can't be arrested for it according to you, guy come on, stop the BS and handle that, prove the law unconstitutional.

Your bragging your free for sending some generic protest letter, Cut the BS man just keep it real, tell the state police what U got and tell them to go F@CK themselves , in essence that's what you said U did and I call Bull Sh#T. And now ur Trash talking people who followed the law, Dave U R Full of Sh-t.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have no AW or LCM that I can legally be required to register. And no, not hardly a "generic" letter that I sent them...I sent it to the commissioner, signed, sealed, and delivered. And I got confirmation of them getting it back in June (about) 2014..before they even produced any forms...

You cannot be arrested for have LCMs for a first offense, its a simple infraction. One that they'll have to prove. Not going to happen to anyone IMO if a person wants to actually defend them-self.

And you still believe what a DESPP employee told you ... that's just not realistic.

Go ahead and ask to see the AW certs you filed with them...it will magically pop-up.

Oh, and I trash talked people who registered or stated that they were going to long ago.

You are in the minority I think in CT.

DESPP refuses to provide what AW that they own, claiming it creates a safety risk (you go ahead and file a records request yourself and you'll find out) and, of course; if disclosure=safety risk then registration=safety risk=infringement . DESPP has no ras or pc .... And I agree that citizens who disclose the arms that they have to the state: a) are total morons and b) just put themselves at risk [all would have been better off just moving the guns out of the state instead of registering them or just not have registered at all]. Remember, the Malloy admin already said that when cops respond to a house, they'll be checking that list and adjust the response accordingly. Get ready for a swat team to look into a noise complaint.

The state of CT has zero idea what guns I do or do not own or have in CT and that's by my choice.

As I said to and FBI agent when asked "what guns do you own?" my reply was "you'll find out in time."

Good Citizen...are you willing to convict citizens under the law for not registering their AW?

I'm a libertarian GC ... you are learning what that actually means. All guns laws have no meaning to us. I have told this to many many legislators since 2011 through today.

I need no permits, no ammo permission slip, no certificates etc... maybe you think you need them but I don't [maybe you don't, beats me==you are free to change your mind too and join the libertarian party and join a party for good].

Also the gov't can arrest you for anything ... does not mean they are right.

Last edited:

Swan

To all those hardcore, "I don't need to register anything" folks out there: Just what kind of reality are you living in? Do these people realize that they stand a major chance of getting in serious trouble with the law if caught with unregistered AW's? A person could spend some time in jail and or loose their job if caught with an unregistered AW. This risk might seem small if you plan on hiding your unregistered AW's in a gun locker forever. As for me, I actually like shooting my AW's at the range. Thus, I must transport them in my car. God forbid I get into an accident on the way to the range and the cops find out I had an UNREGISTERED AW. What about the folks out there who might have a disgruntled wife or girlfriend or neighbor who might rat you out for having an unregistered AW? Do you really want to risk everything just for a principle that looks good as a keyboard commando but can cost you everything in the real world?

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...The state police officer told me I could bring in the two certificates for these two weapons and they would actually remove them from the database and move them over to the non assault database...

So where is the "win?" Seems you might as well keep them where they are at this point.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Some folks may assess the risk of a near-term arrest vs that of long-term confiscation differently than do you.

They can only come and take the weapons they know about. Go ahead, register them. Then it will just be easier for them to confiscate.

In my State there is a form you can send to the .gov to ask what weapons you own, what firearm licenses you have, (CPL, alien card, FFLs) and they send it right back. Of course when I did receive mine in the post, it was GROSSLY inaccurate. It reinforced my expectations of .gov record keeping.

Swan

Question: How many of you who claim: "I never will register anything", have actually brought your rifles out of your gun locker and had some fun at the range? I would like to honestly hear from these folks. I am not naive as the data shows that a very small number of people actually registered there AW's. Thus, there must be a lot of folks out there with illegal AW's. But I want to hear if any of these folks with unregistered AW's have taken them out of their homes to go shooting. As mentioned, I like to actually shoot my firearms. As much as I hated having to register my AW's I did it with the knowledge that I can legally bring them to the range and have fun with them. I do not want to go to jail or loose my job due to a piece of paper that I choose not to fill out. Please note that I am not putting down anybody who did not register their AW's but I would like to know how their shooting experience has changed if they did not register them. And yes, I know that registration leads to confiscation. But I also know that lack of registration leads to incarceration. (Oh yeah, for the tin foil hat crowd out there, I am not some government agent trying to find out who has an unregistered AW)

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I know folks who have not treated their guns any different.

Why would they?

If at a range, they have a AR ?

You seem to be fishing here...

Go out to a range and you'll see ARs there ... no big deal.

You'll see LCMs too ... no big deal

You seems to be scared ... best tattoo your reg. cert to your chest. Just to be safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Question: How many of you who claim: "I never will register anything", have actually brought your rifles out of your gun locker and had some fun at the range? I would like to honestly hear from these folks. I am not naive as the data shows that a very small number of people actually registered there AW's. Thus, there must be a lot of folks out there with illegal AW's. But I want to hear if any of these folks with unregistered AW's have taken them out of their homes to go shooting. As mentioned, I like to actually shoot my firearms. As much as I hated having to register my AW's I did it with the knowledge that I can legally bring them to the range and have fun with them. I do not want to go to jail or loose my job due to a piece of paper that I choose not to fill out. Please note that I am not putting down anybody who did not register their AW's but I would like to know how their shooting experience has changed if they did not register them. And yes, I know that registration leads to confiscation. But I also know that lack of registration leads to incarceration. (Oh yeah, for the tin foil hat crowd out there, I am not some government agent trying to find out who has an unregistered AW)
Posting that, admitting to not registering as the law requires, would be tantamount to inviting late night visitors with an arrest warrant.

Nothing posted on a public forum is completely private + we do not support/endorse breaking the law.

Swan

Sorry if I ruffled some feathers on this topic. I guess I am one of few paranoid folks out there who is actually afraid of breaking the law and facing the consequences and that is why I registered my AW's. At the end of the day it really is none of my business who registered their AW's and who didn't. I was just curious as to the mindset of these folks but at the end of the day it is just I who I need to be concerned with. Anyway, stay safe regardless of choices made and have a safe and happy new year!

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sorry if I ruffled some feathers on this topic. I guess I am one of few paranoid folks out there who is actually afraid of breaking the law and facing the consequences and that is why I registered my AW's. At the end of the day it really is none of my business who registered their AW's and who didn't. I was just curious as to the mindset of these folks but at the end of the day it is just I who I need to be concerned with. Anyway, stay safe regardless of choices made and have a safe and happy new year!

You have a good new years too !