Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spooked a LEO while OCing

Spooked a LEO while OCing

A sorta funny, sorta disturbing event happened to me yesterday. I stopped in to the Walgreens next to Sentara Obici Hospital in Suffolk, to grab my wife some cough syrup. It was about 9:00 p.m. I parked next to a Suffolk PD car, and encountered the Officer as I was walking toward the door, and he to his car. We both nodded and moved on. Now it gets interesting. I was OCing. My wife was watching. As the LEO began to sit in his car with me walking away, he saw my firearm and began to stand back up, paused, sat back down, then looked over at my wife, who was looking at him. He then began typing on his computer, backed up so that his headlights shone directly onto the back of my Expedition for a couple minutes, then drove away. Wife called my phone and told me to expect possible trouble. Nothing happened and soon we were on our way.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Most likely ran your plate. Why? Who knows? Maybe for testing his SA?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Most likely ran your plate. Why? Who knows? Maybe for testing his SA?
    They should not be running your plate.

You'll likely never know though.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

Citation for that?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

My bet is he was running your plate so it would bring up the other database that tells if you have a CHP or not.

His little mind must equate CHP with Good Guy and MWAG/NoCHP with Run Away! Run Away!

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I've had that happen and filed an FOIA for all communication within a10 minute window. Caused quite a stir when I told them I was just checking on him the same as he was me.

Meanwhile -actual- criminals were robbing a store down the block, or B&E. Oh, well.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    There are eight million stories in the naked city; this has been one of them.

Agree that he was likely checking for a CHP, BUT since carry a gun does not require a CHP AND that simply having a gun is not RAS of a crime, this is a waste of LEA resources.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I've had that happen and filed an FOIA for all communication within a10 minute window. Caused quite a stir when I told them I was just checking on him the same as he was me.
    Hey, for once you propose a response to cops that isn't all though guy, and is actually reasonable.

ETA: Not wearing my glasses so I assumed that was still DMB replying. LOL. Sorry for that, peter nap, although I'll leave it for humor's sake.
    Last edited by marshaul; 12-20-2014 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    There are eight million stories in the naked city; this has been one of them.

WOW! I have not heard THAT line for a long time. You are showing your age, Grape!

Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter45 View Post
    Why not?
    Because without legal authority it is wrong. Does a LEO in Virginia or South Carolina have the power to access that database without particular cause? Cite the law.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-20-2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: For the hard of reading.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    WOW! I have not heard THAT line for a long time. You are showing your age, Grape!
    +1. Next w/b 'car 54 where are you???'. Holder newt...,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar

Quite right. No RAS = no search and we all know the mere fact of bearing arms is not RAS for a stop as per Deberry v US.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    *chuckles* ouch! Serve them right for violating your 4th Amendment rights. Shame the offenders will never be punished for it
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Because without legal authority it is wrong. Does a LEO in Virginia or South Carolina have the power to access that database without particular cause? Cite the law.
    It's not wrong. Your plate gets run all the time. Probably every time a police officer is sitting behind you at a red light.

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    +1. Next w/b 'car 54 where are you???'. Holder newt...,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well look, go all the way:
    There's a holdup in the Bronx,
    Brooklyn's broken out in fights;
    There's a traffic jam in Harlem
    That's backed up to Jackson Heights;
    There's a scout troop short a child,
    Khrushchev's due at Idlewild!
    Car 54, Where Are You??

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    A sorta funny, sorta disturbing event happened to me yesterday. I stopped in to the Walgreens next to Sentara Obici Hospital in Suffolk, to grab my wife some cough syrup.

He then began typing on his computer, backed up so that his headlights shone directly onto the back of my Expedition for a couple minutes, then drove away. Wife called my phone and told me to expect possible trouble. Nothing happened and soon we were on our way.
    Amedeo Obici would be rolling over in his grave ... oh wait, that was the original Obici Hospital.

Never mind.

Cop was doing his job, nothing more, all within the duties of his job as a LEO.

Tag came back clean (not stolen, wanted, etc.) and probably a local address. Had the vehicle just been taken in a car jacking, and now the driver went in and shot up a pharmacy for Oxycontin everyone would have been screaming about the lazy inept cop that didn't do his job.

Pharmacies are targets because of the drugs. We live on the 'nice' or 'safe' side of town, but both pharmacies we use (Walgreen's and CVS) have been robbed at gun point within the last year or so, in one instance taking a female customer hostage in the process. I will not enter a pharmacy unarmed, and it my visit is only to pick up a prescription, I use the drive-thru pickup window.

If there was an over reaction, it was the wife's assumption that this meant trouble.

It's not wrong. Your plate gets run all the time. Probably every time a police officer is sitting behind you at a red light.
    LOL Not mine. "He don't know me very well, do he?"

I noticed that you neglected to cite your South Carolina statute or this Virginia sub-forum's (where we're playing) statute.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

LOL Not mine. "He don't know me very well, do he?"

I noticed that you neglected to cite your South Carolina statute or this Virginia sub-forum's (where we're playing) statute.
    Why don't you cite the statute that says your plates can't be run? Better yet, cite me the statue that says you can open carry. Statute says what you CANNOT do, not what you CAN do.

Banned
    Why don't you cite the statute that says your plates can't be run? Better yet, cite me the statue that says you can open carry. Statute says what you CANNOT do, not what you CAN do.
    You are confusing what a gov't agency can/cannot do with what a citizen can/cannot do.

Govt's can only do what the law grants them the authority to do.

Citizens can do anything that the law does not outlaw.

You have much to learn grasshopper.

Lemme see, now.

Here in the Commonwealth of Virginny we write laws saying what folks can not/should not/ought not to do. Seems it might be different in other places where they spend all their time listing all the things folks can/may do.

Just to yank your chain a bit more - are you saying that a cop needs RAS/PC relating to the status of registered ownership and/or vehicle registration (payment of the excise tax) in order to run a plate?

Sadly, for the convenience and safety (or is it safety and convenience?) of police officers the CHP database is connected to the vehicle registration database so that the officer can know if the driver (actually registered owner) might have a concealed handgun in the vehicle. Of course, the ability to lawfully carry a concealed handgun in a secured container without needing to posses a CHP makes that pretty much a useless piece of trivia. http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions%...1%20Newman.pdf

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

You are confusing what a gov't agency can/cannot do with what a citizen can/cannot do.

Govt's can only do what the law grants them the authority to do.

Citizens can do anything that the law does not outlaw.

You have much to learn grasshopper.

You're right. My point is - he's wrong. lol.

Cop goes on alert when he sees an OCer, which is absolutely protected by Federal Case Law as NOT RAS that a crime is being committed (Black v. US), and proceeds to do recon on the OCer using his license plate, which has nothing to do with carrying a pistol except that for some stupid reason the database for CHPs is attached via the DMV database.

And you think the wife was not warranted in saying there might be trouble? HAH!
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    Like red badge of courage, I wear my heart on my sleeve.

Either that or I watch a lot of oldies but goodies.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast