• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spooked a LEO while OCing

paramedic70002

A sorta funny, sorta disturbing event happened to me yesterday. I stopped in to the Walgreens next to Sentara Obici Hospital in Suffolk, to grab my wife some cough syrup. It was about 9:00 p.m. I parked next to a Suffolk PD car, and encountered the Officer as I was walking toward the door, and he to his car. We both nodded and moved on. Now it gets interesting. I was OCing. My wife was watching. As the LEO began to sit in his car with me walking away, he saw my firearm and began to stand back up, paused, sat back down, then looked over at my wife, who was looking at him. He then began typing on his computer, backed up so that his headlights shone directly onto the back of my Expedition for a couple minutes, then drove away. Wife called my phone and told me to expect possible trouble. Nothing happened and soon we were on our way.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
My bet is he was running your plate so it would bring up the other database that tells if you have a CHP or not.

His little mind must equate CHP with Good Guy and MWAG/NoCHP with :shocker: Run Away! Run Away! :shocker:

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I've had that happen and filed an FOIA for all communication within a10 minute window. Caused quite a stir when I told them I was just checking on him the same as he was me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There are eight million stories in the naked city; this has been one of them.

Agree that he was likely checking for a CHP, BUT since carry a gun does not require a CHP AND that simply having a gun is not RAS of a crime, this is a waste of LEA resources.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I've had that happen and filed an FOIA for all communication within a10 minute window. Caused quite a stir when I told them I was just checking on him the same as he was me.

Hey, for once you propose a response to cops that isn't all though guy, and is actually reasonable.

ETA: Not wearing my glasses so I assumed that was still DMB replying. LOL. Sorry for that, peter nap, although I'll leave it for humor's sake. :lol:

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

They should not be running your plate.

You'll likely never know though.

Quite right. No RAS = no search and we all know the mere fact of bearing arms is not RAS for a stop as per Deberry v US.

*chuckles* ouch! Serve them right for violating your 4th Amendment rights. Shame the offenders will never be punished for it

hunter45

Because without legal authority it is wrong. Does a LEO in Virginia or South Carolina have the power to access that database without particular cause? Cite the law.

It's not wrong. Your plate gets run all the time. Probably every time a police officer is sitting behind you at a red light.

Repeater

+1. Next w/b 'car 54 where are you???'. Holder newt...,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well look, go all the way:
There's a holdup in the Bronx,
Brooklyn's broken out in fights;
There's a traffic jam in Harlem
That's backed up to Jackson Heights;
There's a scout troop short a child,
Khrushchev's due at Idlewild!
Car 54, Where Are You??

Repeater

A sorta funny, sorta disturbing event happened to me yesterday. I stopped in to the Walgreens next to Sentara Obici Hospital in Suffolk, to grab my wife some cough syrup.

He then began typing on his computer, backed up so that his headlights shone directly onto the back of my Expedition for a couple minutes, then drove away. Wife called my phone and told me to expect possible trouble. Nothing happened and soon we were on our way.

Amedeo Obici would be rolling over in his grave ... oh wait, that was the original Obici Hospital.

Never mind.

XD40sc

Cop was doing his job, nothing more, all within the duties of his job as a LEO.

Tag came back clean (not stolen, wanted, etc.) and probably a local address. Had the vehicle just been taken in a car jacking, and now the driver went in and shot up a pharmacy for Oxycontin everyone would have been screaming about the lazy inept cop that didn't do his job.

Pharmacies are targets because of the drugs. We live on the 'nice' or 'safe' side of town, but both pharmacies we use (Walgreen's and CVS) have been robbed at gun point within the last year or so, in one instance taking a female customer hostage in the process. I will not enter a pharmacy unarmed, and it my visit is only to pick up a prescription, I use the drive-thru pickup window.

If there was an over reaction, it was the wife's assumption that this meant trouble.

hunter45

LOL Not mine. "He don't know me very well, do he?"

I noticed that you neglected to cite your South Carolina statute or this Virginia sub-forum's (where we're playing) statute.

Why don't you cite the statute that says your plates can't be run? Better yet, cite me the statue that says you can open carry. Statute says what you CANNOT do, not what you CAN do.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Why don't you cite the statute that says your plates can't be run? Better yet, cite me the statue that says you can open carry. Statute says what you CANNOT do, not what you CAN do.

You are confusing what a gov't agency can/cannot do with what a citizen can/cannot do.

Govt's can only do what the law grants them the authority to do.

Citizens can do anything that the law does not outlaw.

You have much to learn grasshopper.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Because without legal authority it is wrong. Does a LEO in Virginia or South Carolina have the power to access that database without particular cause? Cite the law.

Lemme see, now.

Here in the Commonwealth of Virginny we write laws saying what folks can not/[strike]should not[/strike]/[strike]ought not to[/strike] do. Seems it might be different in other places where they spend all their time listing all the things folks can/may do.

Just to yank your chain a bit more - are you saying that a cop needs RAS/PC relating to the status of registered ownership and/or vehicle registration (payment of the excise tax) in order to run a plate?

Sadly, for the convenience and safety (or is it safety and convenience?) of police officers the CHP database is connected to the vehicle registration database so that the officer can know if the driver (actually registered owner) might have a concealed handgun in the vehicle. Of course, the ability to lawfully carry a concealed handgun in a secured container without needing to posses a CHP makes that pretty much a useless piece of trivia. http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions and Legal Resources/Opinions/2012opns/11-111 Newman.pdf

stay safe.