• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spooked a LEO while OCing

davidmcbeth

Banned
in other words as the licence plate is in plain site, it's fair game?

NO ! Grrrrrr. I was performing a record request to inspect records - and in CT, you need not ID ones-self, the law sees value in not requiring IDing oneself .. well this cop comes out and follows me to my car and writes down my plate. I was on him like white on rice cursed and yelled at him for 10 minutes. He said to stop and I told him to drop dead and continued until he left. So, I take offense to them running my plate .. if I catch them, this is what they get.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Cite? Which parking area?

Uh,,,cite what Truth?

The parking lots at the Fairgrounds...all of them. They had officers equipped with scanners in their cars cruis ing the parking lots. Direct from one of the Troopers doing it.

The Truth

Would a notarized statement of personal observations be acceptable?

Or do you need a citation regarding the applicability of notarized statements to perjury?

stay safe.

No, a simple, more detailed explanation of how one is aware of such facts would suffice, such as:

Uh,,,cite what Truth?

The parking lots at the Fairgrounds...all of them. They had officers equipped with scanners in their cars cruis ing the parking lots. Direct from one of the Troopers doing it.

Thanks Nappy.

Wasn't sure if you meant the Troopers parked at the entrances were getting everyone as they were coming in or if there were designated Troopers cruising the yard, because I didn't remember seeing any.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
in other words as the licence plate is in plain site, it's fair game?

And would the LEO action be IF one were to cover/conceal said license plate and VIN tag (visible through lower left corner of front windshield) when NOT actually upon a road or highway?

I really need to provide security covers for mine so they are less likely to be stolen when the vehicle is parked! The covers will just happen to not be translucent or transparent!

WalkingWolf

The fact is that unless the officer is stalking it is legal. Considering that personal information is accessed though, without RAS, it should not be allowed. Criminals use scanners, and if the cop is running your plate the criminal knows your address and you are not home. It is irresponsible to run plates for Sh*ts and grins.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I believe that in Virginia your license plate and inspection sticker both need to be current and visible when on public property or road.

On private property it may be garaged/3 sided enclosure or covered with a vehicle cover/tarp.

No cite provided - just as I recall.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I believe that in Virginia your license plate and inspection sticker both need to be current and visible when on public property or road.

On private property it may be garaged/3 sided enclosure or covered with a vehicle cover/tarp.

The latter (private property) would more likely be a municipal ordinance.

utbagpiper

Banned
The fact is that unless the officer is stalking it is legal. Considering that personal information is accessed though, without RAS, it should not be allowed. Criminals use scanners, and if the cop is running your plate the criminal knows your address and you are not home. It is irresponsible to run plates for Sh*ts and grins.

It is rare for officers to use their analog radios to check plate numbers these days. Their in car terminals are much more convenient in most cases. So it would be extraordinary unlikely for a criminal to even know the plate was being run.

As for whether an officer should need RAS just to run plates....I've often wondered if general driving courtesy might not improve a bit if, rather than an alpha-numeric license plate our cars we all had our full names inscribed in 6 inch letters across the back and sides. It is rare for anonymity to bring out the best in any of us. And on the flip side, the common tendency to view other drivers on the road not as fellow humans but too often as various non-human automobiles doesn't help us in showing humanity to them. Too often we don't even think about someone running late for work because of a sick child, but simply see a "Toyota" or "pick up" or "lead sled" or "land cruiser" in front of us.

It is interesting that most of us desire very strongly to see an original intent of the 2nd amendment upheld and enforced and yet turn around and want a 20th century creation of the court--privacy--to also be enforced. The constitution itself does not guarantee "privacy" and when it was written concepts of privacy were very different. Security in our persons, papers, and effects, and protection against unreasonable search and seizure along with protections against self-incrimination do provide a certain measure of privacy. But not nearly the extent as modern courts have read into them, and even court decisions seem to be insufficient for many among us. I'm not suggesting privacy is not a desirable thing or that we should not have limits on what information about us government can access. I'm just pointing out that a thorough historical, constitutional, legal, and even sociological study of the topic does not lead to black and white simple answers.

Charles

TFred

This would be a good question to chase down.

Some are easy, in your own garage, or in your own driveway with a cover. What about on private property that is not your own, such as a private parking lot of a business or church or what about in a parking lot of a publicly owned building such as a school?

Surely the Code of Virginia must tell us where the license plates must be visible, no?

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This would be a good question to chase down.

Some are easy, in your own garage, or in your own driveway with a cover. What about on private property that is not your own, such as a private parking lot of a business or church or what about in a parking lot of a publicly owned building such as a school?

Surely the Code of Virginia must tell us where the license plates must be visible, no?

TFred

Check municipal codes on "abandoned property". Inspection and registration lapsed on the second vehicle parked in the driveway (as in by several months) as I had no plans to put it on the public roads.

Got an official letter from the County, citing the "abandoned property" ordinance and a deadline to get registration & inspection current or be cited and fined. Seems throwing a tarp over it would not make them happy. Showing them the personal property tax receipt did not make them happy.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Check municipal codes on "abandoned property". Inspection and registration lapsed on the second vehicle parked in the driveway (as in by several months) as I had no plans to put it on the public roads.

Got an official letter from the County, citing the "abandoned property" ordinance and a deadline to get registration & inspection current or be cited and fined. Seems throwing a tarp over it would not make them happy. Showing them the personal property tax receipt did not make them happy.

stay safe.

Wow have I let this thread get way off topic for the OP and into an area more suitable for the Social Lounge.

Nevertheless I try to wrap this up. Check to see who maintains the roads - if the state (as in Chesterfield Co.) then state law prevails on the roadways of the county. If the street sign has a hwy. # also - that is a good indicator.

Not sure how the $100 unlicensed vehicle fee would have worked as Chesterfield has no license/sticker anymore. State tag, current inspection, and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] vehicle insurance are required to not be considered "abandoned." One may comply by storing it your backyard behind a fence or dense evergreens, but you have no backyard.
http://www.chesterfield.gov/BuildingInspection.aspx?id=17112

On private property each municipality's ordinances become relevant.

Ain't big brother wonderful? (rhetorical, sarcasm)

Returning you to the regularly scheduled (OP) program.

Repeater

What is next....iris scans? Walking/gait analysis? The technology exists for both.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21528835.600-cameras-know-you-by-your-walk.html

Big brother will surely bully us if allowed.

Anyone heard of Target Blu Eye? This is from a Dutch company, which promises to have a version for the U.S. ready for sale next year:

On the road with the police-detecting Target Blu Eye device - Police see red over gizmo that blows their cover
Target Blu Eye has its critics, who predict that the device will be used by irresponsible drivers to make sure that the coast is clear while they speed or use mobile phones.

And this:

Police Infuriated About New “Cop Detecting” Device That Warns People When a Cop is Near
A powerful new device has hit the market that promises to warn drivers of nearby emergency vehicles, including police cars, fire trucks and ambulances. The device is called “Target Blu Eye” and is being sold by the Dutch Company “Target Automotive.

This is far more advanced and accurate than a traditional radar detector, because this device works even when the officer has their radar and other equipment turned off.

Police representatives and mainstream media sources are not pleased that this device is on the market, because it will give oppressed drivers an edge on police who depend on the element of surprise to generate their revenue.

Target Managing Director Jan Rijks said a version that will be compatible with emergency vehicles in the US is nearly ready for release, and could be released sometime in 2015.

The Truth

stay safe.

Henrico County did the same thing to me before I sold my old Buick. After a short and to the point (not very happy) inquiry, I was able to remedy the situation by putting a SC plate on it. I was still pissed about it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Henrico County did the same thing to me before I sold my old Buick. After a short and to the point (not very happy) inquiry, I was able to remedy the situation by putting a SC plate on it. I was still pissed about it.
You are lucky you got away with that....you had a residence here and were gainfully employed in VA - therefore out of state tags were most likly short of what the law requires.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Additional "challenge" to those desiring to not display a tag while on private property---- for those with "handicap" tags---- could you just allow the "handicap" portion to show and have the stickers/letters/numbers covered and still park in the "handicap" stalls?