Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Family makes Citizens Arrest after being victims of break in.

  1. #1
    Regular Member DeSchaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    604

    Family makes Citizens Arrest after being victims of break in.

    Further proof that people from Alabama are awesome.

    http://www.wsfa.com/story/27628185/b...or-authorities

    http://www.wsfa.com/story/27635961/f...or-authorities

    Even showing those gun hating Brits how and why its done.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-break-in.html

    Pinching the people responsible for busting into your house and stealing your stuff has got to be very gratifying. I find it hilarious that part of the arrest was caught on tape by a news crew there doing an interview about the original break in.

    Roll Tide, Roll.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    The old knock and then crash and dash.

    I wonder the % of knocks during the day are actual burglars ?

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    --snipped--

    I wonder the % of knocks during the day are actual burglars ?
    I've been told that many door-to-door solicitors/salesmen are actually the lead elements of B&E teams - they determine who is home and who is not and/or they get a chance to see what you have inside.

    Many municipalities require permits to do this type of work.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    ....

    Many municipalities require permits to do this type of work.
    And darned few that do bother to enforce them.

    As much as I'd like to prone them out on the gravel driveway and hold them for the cops it does not seem worth the effort to wait for the cops to arrive only to tell the miscreants to go get a permit (or worse yet, to make sure they have a permit before knocking on my door).

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    And darned few that do bother to enforce them.

    As much as I'd like to prone them out on the gravel driveway and hold them for the cops it does not seem worth the effort to wait for the cops to arrive only to tell the miscreants to go get a permit (or worse yet, to make sure they have a permit before knocking on my door).

    stay safe.
    I have personally seen/witnessed great responses from Chesterfield PD on this issue. One notable incident, the young man was arrested and stuffed after the initial stop - think they found something on his person.

    Oh and yes I was the one to make the phone call.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Eeyore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    on the move
    Posts
    558

    A rare "win"

    The UK Mail article mentions that security video installations have soared recently. I saw the reason why when I lived in western Mississippi. People who live in rural areas are very vulnerable to the tactics employed by these thieves, and thefts like these were rampant. They count on everybody being at work during daylight hours and sparse population density to avoid potential witnesses, and the fact that LE coverage of these rural areas is almost non-existent. Then smash, grab, and boogie. The fact that the state line was only 5 miles away made it easy to get out of the jurisdiction before anyone knew what had happened. In addition to the usual loot (mainly flat-screen TVs and game systems), it was very common for them to steal people's dogs--I shudder to think why.

    Further illustration of why MS and AL are always tied for last place in everything (except football, which is apparently what matters most)
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

  7. #7
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Love the pic of Sarah Wyatt in her camo w pink gun drawn down on the 'suspects'...
    Can't exactly tell her angle, but it looks like bullet trajectory would be fairly close to her husband Chris' ear....
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  8. #8
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Many municipalities require permits to do this type of work.
    bad solution to a genuine problem. Not the governments business to stick it's nose in. It's the same mentality that makes people say firearms permits are needed and the same mentality thats made the UK by an large ban guns. A mans home is his castle. If he refuses to take common sense measures to protect that then he's begging for a burglary in the same way a no gun sign is an open invitation to criminals
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  9. #9
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    bad solution to a genuine problem. Not the governments business to stick it's nose in.
    I disagree - we live in Highland Park in Dallas - Jerry Jones, Trammel Crow, the Hunts, etc -a wealthy area that w/b overrun by folks selling things door to door. Our town of like minded citizens are thrilled the town protects our privacy. Cops will chase off anyone that solicits w/o permit. Permit requires those wanting to do so to abide by rules our 4 Town councilmen have put in place at insistence of residents. No HOA though....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HPmatt; 12-22-2014 at 04:44 PM.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  10. #10
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    I disagree - we live in Highland Park in Dallas - Jerry jones, Trmmel Crow, the Hints, etc -a wealthy area that w/b overrun by folks selling things door to door. Our town of like minded citizens are thrilled the town protects our privacy. Cops will chase off anyone that solicits w/o permit. Permit requires those wanting to do so to abide by rules our 4 Town councilmen have put in place at insistence of residents. No HOA though....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm surprised at this leftwing response not just on this forum but in the Alabama sub-forum. If a house wishes to prohibit them, thats fine. Thats private property. But to criminalise lawful citizens indiscriminately is basically the same as saying one should permit stop and search or accept firearms permits because if the few bad guys.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,148
    LOL I wonder how the cops approach the suspected peddler, what they use for RAS/PC, in this town of like minded privacy loving citizens.

    My three most recent residences have been behind manned gates, currently with a $50 access and return tariff.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-22-2014 at 04:09 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  12. #12
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    When the peddler knocks on your door, and they are peddling w/o permit, you call the cops. Police response time is no more than 2-3 minutes. Get the heck out of our neighborhood - if we wanted something we'll call you.

    Typically peddler types know to stay out of the town. Gypsies, house construction workers, and all sorts of 'non-neighbors' are encouraged to conduct their activities half-a-mile over in City of Dallas. More than happy for you to drive through town, enjoy our pretty parks, safe ones - but we all agree to no soliciting. If a group (of like-minded Town of HP residents) wants to encourage soliciting, come and talk to town council meeting. If not happy, run for town council. Currently town residents are working to restrict parking - we are 3 blocks away from SMU, so football games and high school playoffs park on our streets, marathons come by too. What's the saying - government is the best that is closest to the people - we're that process in action - nothing left wing about this at all.

    Regarding the remark on AL forum, this is how we do it in Texas. Still like the Wyatt's handling matters in their part of AL, which appears t/b unincorporated part of the county - much looser rules of conduct than living within town limits.
    Last edited by HPmatt; 12-22-2014 at 05:05 PM.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  13. #13
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Photo on my way home today - if you don't live here, dont mind you driving through but keep on moving...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Door-to-door sales permit here includes photo and thumbprint. Permit holder is supposed to turn in a report of streets worked within X hours/days.

    It may not be much but it gives cops a chance to begin narrowing down and/or excluding possible suspects. I agree profiling door-to-door salespersons as possible burglars is evil, but what with so many of them turning out to be perpetrators it loses some of the negative aspects.

    Italso gives the cops a "rogues gallery" for folks who are scammed to use trying to identify the scammer. Same comment as above.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  15. #15
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    When the peddler knocks on your door, and they are peddling w/o permit, you call the cops. Police response time is no more than 2-3 minutes. Get the heck out of our neighborhood - if we wanted something we'll call you.

    Typically peddler types know to stay out of the town. Gypsies, house construction workers, and all sorts of 'non-neighbors' are encouraged to conduct their activities half-a-mile over in City of Dallas. More than happy for you to drive through town, enjoy our pretty parks, safe ones - but we all agree to no soliciting.
    you're all agreed that it's perfectly ok to criminalise people trying to earn an honest living. Would you rather they beg? Or maybe they should just give up and go on welfare. Certainly easier than trying to work for ones living

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Door-to-door sales permit here includes photo and thumbprint. Permit holder is supposed to turn in a report of streets worked within X hours/days.
    Welcome to the Peoples Republic of America
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  16. #16
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Merchants in a brick and mortar locations are required to have licenses/permits - even the street vendor (hot dogs, flowers, etc)must be licensed. Yet there are those that wish to allow door-to-door solicitation w/o any control elements.

    Goggle "door to door solicitation criminal activity" and read the mass of war stories to your hearts content. Do not play the straw man's card that I am trying to prevent anyone an honest days work. There is an extremely small return for the effort expended if one where to depend on the commission - hint, you could likely not buy a can of beans and a hot dog with it.

    Give me your home address - I will direct these good people there.

    My home is my castle and the draw bridge is UP.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,148
    LOL Here's my access road and the 'gate keeper' shack. You are not welcome either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	med.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	12288   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250px-WashingtonIslandWisconsinFerryWIS42.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	12289  
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-22-2014 at 06:08 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  18. #18
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    LOL Here's my access road and the 'gate keeper' shack. You are not welcome either.
    Very pretty looking - wonder if you'd be interested in some new siding? Or a snow blower? Got some half-price Lions tix at Lambeau field?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,148
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Very pretty looking - wonder if you'd be interested in some new siding? Or a snow blower? Got some half-price Lions tix at Lambeau field?
    The 'pretty' is no cars, or few.

    Nope, nope to all. My cottage is half-log sided. Last year's Christmas gift was an eight-foot blade for my compact tractor (means small farm tractor 30 y.o. 40 hp diesel Class I three-point hitch).

    I leave the Island to vacation and for heavy shopping trips each six or eight weeks - mostly for liquor to avoid the expensive swill the appliance store sells. Nothing good happens in masses of asses.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  20. #20
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    The inconsistency in application of principle here is nauseating.

    Likening arbitrary prohibitions on nonviolent, non-aggressive behaviors to building a gate on your own property and keeping it closed is absurd.
    Advocate freedom please

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    LOL Here's my access road and the 'gate keeper' shack. You are not welcome either.
    Check your road construction group for drugs....

  22. #22
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Merchants in a brick and mortar locations are required to have licenses/permits - even the street vendor (hot dogs, flowers, etc)must be licensed. Yet there are those that wish to allow door-to-door solicitation w/o any control elements.

    Goggle "door to door solicitation criminal activity" and read the mass of war stories to your hearts content. Do not play the straw man's card that I am trying to prevent anyone an honest days work. There is an extremely small return for the effort expended if one where to depend on the commission - hint, you could likely not buy a can of beans and a hot dog with it.

    scrap permits for them to. You shouldn't need permission to earn an honest living

    Some can earn plenty. I did very brief stints in the UK and never made it but I know people that did made a ton. Not only that but my own Dad supported the family selling Encyclopedia Britannica and Fuller Brush when I was barely out of diapers, so i'm told
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    scrap permits for them to. You shouldn't need permission to earn an honest living

    Some can earn plenty. I did very brief stints in the UK and never made it but I know people that did made a ton. Not only that but my own Dad supported the family selling Encyclopedia Britannica and Fuller Brush when I was barely out of diapers, so i'm told
    Earning an "honest living" means following the law. We even have a rule for that here on OCDO.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  24. #24
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Earning an "honest living" means following the law. We even have a rule for that here on OCDO.
    you're missing the point. The point is permits for things like that are almost as bad as permits for bearing arms. While not explicitly illegal like requiring firearms permits, it's certainly quite un american to make it harder for a citizen to earn a living and even against the spirit (as opposed to the letter) of the Constitution, which seeks to limit government not people.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  25. #25
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    you're missing the point. The point is permits for things like that are almost as bad as permits for bearing arms. While not explicitly illegal like requiring firearms permits, it's certainly quite un american to make it harder for a citizen to earn a living and even against the spirit (as opposed to the letter) of the Constitution, which seeks to limit government not people.
    I'm missing nothing. The people have spoken. This does not rise to the level of the 2nd Amendment.

    This train of thought is decidedly off-topic for OCDO in any event.

    Anything anyone wishes to add to the OP?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •