• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Family makes Citizens Arrest after being victims of break in.

rightwinglibertarian

Earning an "honest living" means following the law. We even have a rule for that here on OCDO.

you're missing the point. The point is permits for things like that are almost as bad as permits for bearing arms. While not explicitly illegal like requiring firearms permits, it's certainly quite un american to make it harder for a citizen to earn a living and even against the spirit (as opposed to the letter) of the Constitution, which seeks to limit government not people.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
you're missing the point. The point is permits for things like that are almost as bad as permits for bearing arms. While not explicitly illegal like requiring firearms permits, it's certainly quite un american to make it harder for a citizen to earn a living and even against the spirit (as opposed to the letter) of the Constitution, which seeks to limit government not people.

I'm missing nothing. The people have spoken. This does not rise to the level of the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment.

This train of thought is decidedly off-topic for OCDO in any event.

Anything anyone wishes to add to the OP?

HPmatt

......While not explicitly illegal like requiring firearms permits, it's certainly quite un american to make it harder for a citizen to earn a living and even against the spirit (as opposed to the letter) of the Constitution, which seeks to limit government not people.

This was the reason Geo Washington called up arms against Americans in the Whiskey Rebellion - the revenue laws were instituted on Americans by Americans , as opposed to those imposed by Parliament which bypassed American legislatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

utbagpiper

Banned
I'm missing nothing. The people have spoken. This does not rise to the level of the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment.

This train of thought is decidedly off-topic for OCDO in any event.

Anything anyone wishes to add to the OP?

Still off topic, but I will agree with permits or even outright bans on commercial solicitation. I don't maintain my driveway and porch (nor my telephone line) for the convenience of salesmen and scammers. Were a big "No Trespassing; No Soliciting" sign at the edge of the public sidewalk sufficient to impose significant criminal penalties for uninvited salesmen coming to the door, that might be one thing. Clearly, a gated yard with an imposing dog often has the same effect. But I shouldn't have to build a fortress simply to be left alone.

Door to door commercial soliciting (and telemarketing) is not a constitutional right and so is properly left to local laws and rules. Rather than permits, I'd vote for an outright ban on both.

Charles

stealthyeliminator

Strange assertion.

Would not want to use that defense in court for violation of a statute or ordinance.

Strange? I don't see how. I don't see why anyone would attempt to use these facts as a defense in court of law, either. Since that does not make any sense to me I fear we do not understand each other's meanings. Since it's off topic, out of respect for the op and forum rules, I won't pursue an understanding further...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The point of permits is to raise revenue for the state. We all know that. Pay for the permit. Having a permit alerts the taxing authority to be on the lookout for sales taxes being remitted.

Photos attached/associated with door to door permits addresses an unfortunate but persistent problem - some folks use door to door sales as a ruse to commit illegal acts. The possibility of being ID'd is thought to reduce that.

Unregulated commerce seems to work best when done in a static location. 50 vegetable vendors selling the same variety of lettuce at the same time of year seem to do better at the local marketplace than hauling around the countryside ahead of or behind 49 other travelling vegetable salesmen. It just seems to work that way.

stay safe.