• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

disabled-veteran protecting his family and home in Colbert Wa

Pat Gardner

Sorry i forgot to put the interview down, i haven't had enough coffee yet..lol

An intruder in Colbert picked the wrong house to break into. Kurt Hoffman is a disabled veteran, but he was very much able to make sure police were going to arrest the man who broke into his house.
He says his neighborhood is fairly quiet, so he was surprised when he found threatening notes on his back porch. He and his wife were enjoying a peaceful night at home when he found the strange notes. Concerned, he put a call into the Sheriff's office.

Hoffman says while he and his wife were waiting for them to show up, things went from weird to scary. He says a teenager walked into the kitchen, and right away, Hoffman's military training kicked in.

He grabbed his handgun, that he'd hoped he'd never have to use, and was able to peacefully restrain the person who had walked in. "If he would have pulled out a weapon, I probably would have, but he didn't. I don't want to shoot anyone, but I want to protect my home," Hoffman explained.

While he was keeping the intruder from running off, deputies came to arrest the man. Hoffman says they arrived within minutes, which he said is "awesome."

His take-away from the traumatic day?

"It kind of leaves you feeling like you're not secure anymore...From now on, I'm always carrying a gun."

According to Hoffman, that man is now in custody. He and his wife aren't exactly sure why the man broke in, but they are happy that everyone is okay.