Thread: This is why I sometimes ask for the jury instructions regarding shooting cases..

Banned

This is why I sometimes ask for the jury instructions regarding shooting cases..

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2014...exas.html?_r=0

"At the heart of our criminal justice system is the right to a fair trial. Raul was denied this right due to incorrect jury instructions," defense attorney Neal Davis told the Houston Chronicle (http://bit.ly/1H1pRKv ). "Now Raul will have the chance to have a fair day in court."

Jury instructions can make or break a case ... in this case, it wasn't so good.

Quote Originally Posted by AP article
    ...Rodriguez's reference to standing his ground was similar to the claim made by George Zimmerman, a Florida neighborhood watch volunteer who cited that state's stand-your-ground law in his defense. He was acquitted of murder for the February 2012 fatal shooting of an unarmed teenager, Trayvon Martin....
    How bad can their "reporting" get?

Zimmerman never said or cited a "stand your ground" defense. It was never used at his trial because it didn't fit and wasn't needed. The entire SYG controversy was caused by an IDIOT COP who usurped investigators' authority and shot his mouth off to a reporter at the scene as to why Z wasn't going to be arrested at the time.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    How bad can their "reporting" get?

Zimmerman never said or cited a "stand your ground" defense. It was never used at his trial because it didn't fit and wasn't needed. The entire SYG controversy was caused by an IDIOT COP who usurped investigators' authority and shot his mouth off to a reporter at the scene as to why Z wasn't going to be arrested at the time.
    Heck, even the courts use the phrase "Stand Your Ground" when they really mean self-defense.

It appears very, very, few people understand that "SYG" is simply the removal of the old duty-to -retreat provision in our Justifiable Use of Force statutes.
    Last edited by notalawyer; 12-24-2014 at 02:29 AM.