• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice for a new comer

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
[BOLDED] I believe you are mistaken. You still have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer, even in MO. If I'm incorrect, please guide me in the direction where it was changed.

Thx!
Good catch Mr. Redbaron007!

Indeed is it a violaion for an FFL to sell a handgun to someone under 21 years of age.
[h=6]Q: Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee?[/h] Yes. Under the GCA, long guns and long gun ammunition may be sold only to persons 18 years of age or older. Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older. Although some State and local ordinances have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA. If State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age, the dealer must observe the higher age requirement.
[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)]

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/li...ees-conduct-of-business.html#age-requirements

rightwinglibertarian

I can see that possibility, particularly in a state really just moving into that arena.

Caution though - it is not a wise choice to "hold court" with authority on the street or on another's property. Best to leave as intact as possible and straighten it out from the comfort of your home or attorney's office.

Regarding stops by LE, after complying to any demands only to the limit of the law, one of my favorite attorneys advises us to KYBMS (Keep Your Big Mouth Shut) - don't say anything - it can be twisted to harm you.

Am I free to go?

Am I being detained? If Yes, you are under arrest.....KYBMS until your attorney arrives or you are released to leave, then contact your attorney.

You do carry a digital recorder do you not?

I'd rather like to do a Kokesh on an LEO, but thats just me. Wouldnt suggest an inexperienced person reminding an LEO he's a public servant and we the people are his boss.

Most of LE encounters end with the other party being informed of my actions being legal. My local sheriffs office are well aware of me and have my contact info so they can reach if they receive a complaint about "a kid with a gun" outside of my local area I do have a video camera on my phone and if ever necessary I will use it.

*shakes head* Bad idea. LEOs are allowed to and do lie. You can OC or CC to your hearts content. Personally I think if you're not OCing, don't bother but thats a whole other debate and quite OT

???Why ask "Am I free to go?" Why not just go? If they don't want you to, they'll speak up I imagine.

Even this rightwing 'extremist' libertarian knows thats crazy. I may have the legal right but it's not clever as Cops have been known to shoot or taze you in the back. NEVER turn your back on a potential threat

The Truth

davidmcbeth said:
???Why ask "Am I free to go?" Why not just go? If they don't want you to, they'll speak up I imagine.

Plus, especially when recording, it's important that you ask that question so that you may get an answer from the LEO as to whether or not you are officially being detained. If he gives no answer, maybe walk away. If he says yes, KYBMS and call a lawyer.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Some might wonder where the OP went - all his posts in a 2 day window - then crickets. :uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Some might wonder where the OP went - all his posts in a 2 day window - then crickets. :uhoh:

Maybe OP is reflecting on his posts and the responses.

Haha...
Your first response could be right............but I doubt it, and so too your chortle would indicate do you.

After initially posting and being welcomed at face value, his "story" broke down with errors, which he apparently wasn't able to justify/explain - no surprise there as that typically happens when someone lacking knowledge sets out to hoodwink us.

All is not wasted though, as we had the opportunity to hone our skills, both in giving straight responses w/cites and ferreting out those that might BS us.

Time will tell. Leaving this thread open so that he may reengage if he so wishes. I'd like to hear that story :D

Last edited:

Redbaron007

Your first response could be right............but I doubt it, and so too your chortle would indicate do you.

After initially posting and being welcomed at face value, his "story" broke down with errors, which he apparently wasn't able to justify/explain - no surprise there as that typically happens when someone lacking knowledge sets out to hoodwink us.

All is not wasted though, as we had the opportunity to hone our skills, both in giving straight responses w/cites and ferreting out those that might BS us.

Time will tell. Leaving this thread open so that he may reengage if he so wishes. I'd like to hear that story :D

I was off the grid most of the holiday with a couple of exceptions....I was expecting the OP to have responded. Oh well.......chirp.....chirp....

OC for ME

papa bear

While some state sub-forums do have long standing threads on OC experiences, Missouri does not seem to have one......yet.

Suggest that you might start one with a title similar to "OC Experiences in Missouri." :p

You could of course make the title more limiting geographically if you chose.

VA has 4 area threads going - NoVa, Greater Richmond, Tidewater, and Hampton Roads.

Day in and day out the experiences (where you went and what happened) are ho hum - just the way we like it. Every now and then though, there are some very funny things. Extremely, again extremely, few strongly negative happenings.

HEY, grapeshot. I have been trying to keep the SW VA site. it just that nobody down here even notices a gun. been trying to come up with something. need some help from everybody else. I do think that most down here wants the rest of VA to go away

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
HEY, grapeshot. I have been trying to keep the SW VA site. it just that nobody down here even notices a gun. been trying to come up with something. need some help from everybody else. I do think that most down here wants the rest of VA to go away
Tend to think that the less urban the area, the more freedom loving and self sufficient people are - may be an over simplification. Having an carrying a gun is just normal. :D