• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A clean shoot?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Yes, sorry. The woman was arrested.

For the SECOND time in less than ten days.

This is a perfect example of why we are armed at all times.
I would have likely been out of my car pretty damn fast to take the action away from my family. Utilizing cover is a basic tenant of armed confrontations, but taking the action away from my family would be paramount.

Exactly. Altho my Sweet Baboo would also be armed and would provide practised backup

utbagpiper

Banned
lol you just can't keep from laying some blame on the true victim.

Let me help out your reading comprehension a bit.

utbagpiper said:
...getting flipped off doesn't justify physical assault with a truck....

Was that really so hard to read and understand the first time?

How is pointing out that we are prudent to avoid needless confrontation and/or escalation any different than questioning whether or at what point the use of a firearm, a pit maneuver, or anything else different than what the victim did?

Is an armed society a polite society? Or is carrying a gun an excuse to be a jerk because we know we can defend ourselves if the person we insult happens to a nutcase?

I prefer to avoid and de-escalate potentially violent situations whenever possible rather than having to figure out how best to survive after I've helped create a dangerous situation.

Do you think it is prudent to go around flipping off other drivers?

Charles

Last edited:

Difdi

Shooting an "unarmed" (I hate that term as it implies "not dangerous") crazy woman as she advances on me (as a male) has a lot of potential for really unpleasant legal costs. Trying to resist her with my bare hands has significant risks that I don't care to incur. I'm not batman or a cop and I don't carry a belt full of less-than-lethal options around everywhere.

Happened in CA, not allowed to have evil guns loaded with those pesky pew pew things.

This is why I carry a tactical flashlight. Even in daylight it's REALLY hard to attack someone who is shining a 1000 lumen strobe in your eyes, and all but impossible at night.

Gives me options other than deadly force, no risk of the backblast of a chemical spray, lacks the accuracy problems of a TASER and works even in places that try to forbid self-defense by banning the most effective tools to do so.

If worse comes to worst, I still have my gun. Thank the Lord I live in Washington.

The Truth

Let me help out your reading comprehension a bit.

Was that really so hard to read and understand the first time?

How is pointing out that we are prudent to avoid needless confrontation and/or escalation any different than questioning whether or at what point the use of a firearm, a pit maneuver, or anything else different than what the victim did?

Is an armed society a polite society? Or is carrying a gun an excuse to be a jerk because we know we can defend ourselves if the person we insult happens to a nutcase?

I prefer to avoid and de-escalate potentially violent situations whenever possible rather than having to figure out how best to survive after I've helped create a dangerous situation.

Charles

Here, let me help your reading comprehension a bit, since you don't seem to understand how you're statements are coming across or what you're actually saying. The statement I have emboldened above is an insinuation that the true victim is actually the perpetrator of a crime and in your eyes should expect some kind of harsh reaction for simply flipping the bird. Sorry, but if you can't handle being told to f#$% off without reacting violently or ramming someone's car off the road, YOU have some serious anger/behavioral issues. This has nothing to do with carrying a gun.

You also say explicitly that "after I've helped create a dangerous situation." This implies that you believe the girls helped to create the situation they were so unfortunately stuck in. I don't think I've read anything incorrectly, I think your logic is flawed. I understand what you are saying and why you would want to preach such things, but it's just false. The law agrees. The woman was charged with assault with a deadly weapon despite the fact that the girls "created the situation" by flipping the bird. Sorry, it's just not true.

I'm not sure where the "is a gun an excuse to be a jerk" question comes from either. Do I go out looking for fights or yelling at people/flipping people off all day every day hoping for a confrontation? Absolutely not, but if I get a little mad at a driver for breaking a traffic law or endangering me by breaking a traffic law there is a possibility I will communicate such anger with my middle finger. Does this mean I have invited an attack? Absolutely not. Flip me the bird right back and move about your day. Don't try to ram me off the road because I exercised my right to free speech. I'm pretty sure it's not illegal to flip someone off. It's not an assault.

Would everyone be much better off without flipping the bird? Sure! But guess what? People have emotions and $hit happens. That doesn't warrant a violent reaction, and you cannot seriously expect anyone to agree with you that these girls had it coming to them to be assaulted with a deadly weapon for getting frustrated and flipping the bird.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I've been looking at the video a couple of times a day for three days. I still have not seen a single moment when I would consider the use of deadly force because I do not see imminent threat of death or great bodily injury. Maybe some of tje rest of you can tell me what/where you saw what you considered an imminent threat.

The hit from behind comes close but based on the totality of the situation it does not appear to me, and did not seem to appear to either the driver or passenger, that it was "life threatening".

When the pickup driver got out and approached the car there was more than enough room to get away, which the driver finally did.

I understand how threads drift (I've been known to veer off the main topic myself) but all of the "Let me change the scenario and then tell you how I would justify shooting my way out" I can only say that this thread has not only gone sideways it has plowed right through a crowd of common sense and smashed up an entire sanity store.

stay safe.

Logan 5

Should you OC in a car?

As many of you should already understand, I support OC'ing. And CC'ing. OC vs. CC isa matter of personal preference, IMO.

But think about this situation- http://politicaloutcast.com/2014/12/video-shows-armed-vehicle/#qLVEkyGRQZolDtXY.99

I think the last paragraph sums it up pretty well, don't you?

ETA: this is regarding young girls harassed by a woman claiming to be a cop and they were forcefully stopped by the psycho-woman on a N. California highway. (added for twoskinsonemans)

Last edited:

The Truth

I've been looking at the video a couple of times a day for three days. I still have not seen a single moment when I would consider the use of deadly force because I do not see imminent threat of death or great bodily injury. Maybe some of tje rest of you can tell me what/where you saw what you considered an imminent threat.

The hit from behind comes close but based on the totality of the situation it does not appear to me, and did not seem to appear to either the driver or passenger, that it was "life threatening".

When the pickup driver got out and approached the car there was more than enough room to get away, which the driver finally did.

I understand how threads drift (I've been known to veer off the main topic myself) but all of the "Let me change the scenario and then tell you how I would justify shooting my way out" I can only say that this thread has not only gone sideways it has plowed right through a crowd of common sense and smashed up an entire sanity store.

stay safe.

I pretty much agree about use of deadly force. I think it would be tough not to brandish when trapped and confronted at close range though. What if she had shurikens or throwing knives, or a ray gun?

HPmatt

....I would never stop for anything that was not a marked patrol car. At most drive slowly to the police station if it is a unmarked, possibly police car. But even then 10 years ago a state police officer was stopping and raping women, he eventually got caught, at that time NC troopers did not have dash cams.

I just found out a few months ago that an IDIOT Lexington VA town cop had tailed our daughter in the county - north of the Maury river most of it is county, but this moron thought our daughter was DUI - the county streets have no street lights and are not center-striped well. He was in an unmarked car and followed her around the hills for about 10 minutes till she pulled into the 7-11 sobbing. Dumbass felt real sorry that she didn't know who the hell he was and (a Senior) had not been drinking.

rightwinglibertarian

The question for me is a no-brainer. Yes you should OC in a car. A better question is where is the safest and best place to keep an handgun? Under the steering wheel?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The OP incident/video occurred in California - no OC and likely no CC - gun was never mentioned.

Some states do not allow unrestricted OC in a vehicle.

Much discussion regarding use of deadly force, yet almost no window where that would have been justified in the video. "What ifs" don't count, we can only respond to what occurs, not what might happen.

rightwinglibertarian

The OP incident/video occurred in California - no OC and likely no CC - gun was never mentioned.

Some states do not allow unrestricted OC in a vehicle.

Much discussion regarding use of deadly force, yet almost no window where that would have been justified in the video. "What ifs" don't count, we can only respond to what occurs, not what might happen.

oh...... that fascist wasteland. The Constitution has practically been suspended in the Peoples Republic of California :banghead:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I pretty much agree about use of deadly force. I think it would be tough not to brandish when trapped and confronted at close range though. What if she had shurikens or throwing knives, or a ray gun?

If you are trapped and confronted at close range, you still need to add more information before you get to the point of clearing kydex.

I'm pretty much in agreement with OCDO member User on the issue of brandishing - to paraphrase: "If you pull it you have reached the time to use it. If it's not yet the time to use it, don't pull it."

Very few of us live where the "defensive display of a firearm" is not a criminal act. (Yes, immediately after pulling it the aggressor may call off their attack, in which case you do not shoot and stand ready until the imminent threat has reduced itself.)

It sucks to be law-abiding armed citizen, doesn't it? We work out and discuss senarios - most of which turn out to be pure fantasy - and reach the conclusion that it is going to be a very rare event that meets the crteria for a "good shoot". As a matter of fact, it is my biggest complaint about Mas Ayoob's newest book "Deadly Force: Understanding Your Right to Self Defense". He showcases "good shoots" but has little to demonstrate how changing just one fact/factor changes that into a "bad shoot".

stay safe.

Logan 5

Until I found my new thread from yesterday was put in this thread, I had no idea this thread was around. Oh well, my error.

Screw drawing down on her. She’s out of her truck posing as a threat to you and yours, just run the dumb b***h over.
And it has happened before in Northern California a few years back. And the driver skated on it. It’s self defense.

Charles
I realize that you likely won’t see my comment to your comment, however I still feel the need to ask if you feel that is sufficient grounds to warrant a road rage incident. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Until I found my new thread from yesterday was put in this thread, I had no idea this thread was around. Oh well, my error.--snipped--
Subscribing to a thread or posting on it should automatically notify you when a user/member adds a post, IF you have your options set up right. Yes that is for merged threads too.

rightwinglibertarian

Subscribing to a thread or posting on it should automatically notify you when a user/member adds a post, IF you have your options set up right. Yes that is for merged threads too.

I was wondering what happened. I checked the other day and I knew I had not commented on a post with this title. It was something about OC in cars. Shame that comment is now fairly irrelevant. Would have made an interesting discussiom

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

Some states do not allow unrestricted OC in a vehicle...

But an uncased, unloaded long gun is allowed in the vehicle. Doesn't take me long to put a shell in a shotgun if a situation is imminent and I have at least a few seconds. And yes, that is how I roll when forced to go to CA.

Phoenix David

IMHO I disagree. In this situation I would pull over and stop the vehicle. The victim broke several traffic laws in panic.
Pull over. make the call. prepare to defend. Do not do anything to escalate...

I disagree partially with this, I would in that situation continue on the highway at a lower rate of speed and I wouldn't pull over or get off the highway till the police showed up or 911 directed and it seemed prudent.

I doubt the ladies in the video have done any training or mental plans for this type of situation, but all in all I would say they did fine.

twoskinsonemanns

I disagree partially with this, I would in that situation continue on the highway at a lower rate of speed and I wouldn't pull over or get off the highway till the police showed up or 911 directed and it seemed prudent.

I doubt the ladies in the video have done any training or mental plans for this type of situation, but all in all I would say they did fine.

To each his own. I wouldn't criticize either way. For myself, once physical contact was made an accident has occurred so I stop.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
To each his own. I wouldn't criticize either way. For myself, once physical contact was made an accident has occurred so I stop.

I hope this works for you. In the "real" world, this may be disadvantageous.

A similar situation happened to my Sweet Baboo a few years ago. She was on her way home from work in her little Miata and stopped in a parking lot to adjust her garmin. Another vehicle pulled into the empty lot, so Sweet Baboo decides to move on and leave the area. As she is about to pull into the street, she is struck from behind by the "other" vehicle.
At this time she could have gotten out of her vehicle and exchanged documents, but "something" was not right. She pulled out and was struck again, spinning the vehicle around 180 degrees. She took off at a high rate of speed and was struck twice more from behind. As she approached the Mt Vernon Pee Dee , the BG sheared off on another road and shortly thereafter ran into a house and was captured. The BG, a female on drugs, would have killed my Lori had she exited the vehicle.
She was lucky.

WalkingWolf

I hope this works for you. In the "real" world, this may be disadvantageous.

A similar situation happened to my Sweet Baboo a few years ago. She was on her way home from work in her little Miata and stopped in a parking lot to adjust her garmin. Another vehicle pulled into the empty lot, so Sweet Baboo decides to move on and leave the area. As she is about to pull into the street, she is struck from behind by the "other" vehicle.
At this time she could have gotten out of her vehicle and exchanged documents, but "something" was not right. She pulled out and was struck again, spinning the vehicle around 180 degrees. She took off at a high rate of speed and was struck twice more from behind. As she approached the Mt Vernon Pee Dee , the BG sheared off on another road and shortly thereafter ran into a house and was captured. The BG, a female on drugs, would have killed my Lori had she exited the vehicle.
She was lucky.

I remember when this used to happen in Miami, particularly close to the airport. The BG would hit the tourist in the rear at a light and then rob or shoot them. Miami PD advised not getting out of the vehicle, but to continue driving at a safe speed even if it meant running the red light.