• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long Gun Open Carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingCharlemagne

Being a young member of the OC community, I have had fewer experiences with other OCers than most. Today in a nearby grocery store, I was walking around and, like always, carrying my sidearm. I was confronted by 4 people and each encounter ended in them approving of what I was doing. They said things along the line of "wow man I never knew you didn't need a permit to OC, I'm going to start doing that." Or "Oh, well after that being said, I guess I would feel safer having a gun." These people went from being upset to approving of my actions. Great day right? While I was in the store, another man, middle 30's, waltzed into the store with two AK pistols, and an full-sized AR-15 on his back. Really bruh? In about 5min those same 4 people ran up to me and hysterically told me that there was a terrorist in the store. I saw the man getting a gallon of milk and was forced to explain to those people that his actions were also legal. They were utterly confused by this. The reason being, these guns "looked" automatic. Which, if I am correct, you would need a class 3 weapons license to possess. I also had to explain that those guns weren't "assault rifles" and that they were in no way functionally different than a pistol in the way they shoot. My question to you guys, and I know this is about to cause a sh*t storm, is it really necessary to OC a long rifle with tactical cosmetic features, especially in this world of an absurdly uneducated public? Not to mention carrying, not one, but three of them?

utbagpiper

Banned
Officially, any discussion of OCing long guns is off topic here.

Un-officially, anyone who dares question the prudence of OCing long guns will very quickly be castigated and hated by some of the more radical, less civil members of the forum. I've been on the receiving end of their venom on this issue.

Charles

KingCharlemagne

Yikes but doesn't that kinda say something about necessity of long gun OC? If the only people who have a problem with it are unpleasant when confronted by it, then it would appear that it isn't a rational or logical way to prove a point about our beloved 2nd Amendment.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

Un-officially, anyone who dares question the prudence of OCing long guns will very quickly be castigated and hated by some of the more radical, less civil members of the forum. I've been on the receiving end of their venom on this issue.

Charles

OCDO is dedicated to the Open Carry of properly holstered handguns. Long gun discussion is considered to be off topic.

That being said, Charles is going a bit overboard when he indicates castigation and venom. Mostly if there is any reaction at all, it is to indicate that OCDO is primarily a handgun forum. What Charles may be referring to is a reaction to those who say "I'm a strong supporter of 2A Rights, but... (fill in the blank where the condition may be proper dress, long gun carry, or any other aspect that the poster disagrees with). There are members on this forum who properly regard and hold sacrosanct the the wording "shall not be infringed." Posting a "but" statement tends to bring a curt response.

B

Bikenut

OCDO is dedicated to the Open Carry of properly holstered handguns. Long gun discussion is considered to be off topic.

That being said, Charles is going a bit overboard when he indicates castigation and venom. Mostly if there is any reaction at all, it is to indicate that OCDO is primarily a handgun forum. What Charles may be referring to is a reaction to those who say "I'm a strong supporter of 2A Rights, but... (fill in the blank where the condition may be proper dress, long gun carry, or any other aspect that the poster disagrees with). There are members on this forum who properly regard and hold sacrosanct the the wording "shall not be infringed." Posting a "but" statement tends to bring a curt response.
While folks have their own personal opinions concerning how, when, where, why, and with what, folks should .. NOT (which is what follows that word "but")... exercise their right to bear arms for whatever reason perhaps it would be wise to remember......................

The 2nd Amendment doesn't have the word "but" in it.

utbagpiper

Banned
Posting a "but" statement tends to bring a curt response.

Some folks tend to be unwilling to recognize the difference between wanting to legally ban something and the non-coercive sharing of personal experiences or opinions regarding what conduct might best lead to professed desired results.

I do not believe the best way to change public opinion is to completely ignore public opinion.

Charles

B

Bikenut

Some folks tend to be unwilling to recognize the difference between wanting to legally ban something and the non-coercive sharing of personal experiences or opinions regarding what conduct might best lead to professed desired results.

I do not believe the best way to change public opinion is to completely ignore public opinion.

Charles
Merry Christmas Charles.

stealthyeliminator

Charles
I wonder if I'm one of those you're referring to. I hope so.

Re: op - Anyway, sounds like everything in your scenario worked out just fine. Good job on knowing the law and communicating it to curious folks.

Last edited:

KingCharlemagne

I wonder if I'm one of those you're referring to. I hope so.

Re: op - Anyway, sounds like everything in your scenario worked out just fine. Good job on knowing the law and communicating it to curious folks.[/QUOTE]

They were not "curious" they were terrified...

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
"Long gun discussion [here @ OCDO Forum] is considered to be off topic. "

Technically correct but with a "disclaimer" of sorts: It's not OT when it's re: a particular state that ONLY allows the OCing of long-guns -- like our less-fortunate brothers & sisters in The Great State of Texas. Since OCing a handgun there is illegal, cops and citizens would freak out, MWAG calls made, and you'd be tazed, bum-rushed (by alarmed cops) & arrested -- if not shot like that customer in Walmart recently (the one carrying the BB/pellet gun). In TEXAS (and whatever other state, if any, is like TX).

So what's left of you want to OC in TEXAS? Yep...a long-gun.

But Texas is a rarity, and I'm 100% sure the guy carrying 2 handguns and one long-gun wasn't doing it in TX (unless he was on something or insane) as only the AR-15 would be legal carry there.

As to the OPs questioning why the guy "needs" 3 guns, I'd agree that was a bit much and to the general/ignorant and easily frightened public "3 Gun Guy" could even be misinterpreted as a psyho-shooter loaded up for a "one-way-trip" if you will. Even an experienced OCer (or CCer) most likely would keep an eye on him -- just in case. I know I would. So personally, *I* would never do that...no need to look or act ANYTHING like trouble.

But as for the issue of OCing a long-gun (rifle/shotgun/carbine) at sling-arms, not handling it, and just going about one's business, I have NO problem with that at all.

Ideally (assorted current and differing state laws aside), we SHOULD be free to carry WHAT we want and HOW MANY we want (plus, knives of ANY length blade, even swords or tomahawks -- but that's another topic). Whatever, it's not my place to decide what some other person "needs" re: his choice of arm to carry -- or how many.

All I try to do in my conversations with people out there on the street (when they see me OCing and ask about it) is get them to CARRY...preferably, OC, but if they won't/can't, then at least CC.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

"need" is not in the second amendment either. Personally I know a bad guy when he does something bad. Just like the guy with his pants falling off his butt, when it boils down to it, it is his choice.

KingCharlemagne

This is true but society doesn't function on the basis of a responsible and rational human being. Society must tend to those who cannot function civilly. That is why we have prisons, so we can pander to and "rehabilitate" those who refuse to obey laws and it is also why society has become overly tolerant of ignorance. This ignorance has overcome the majority of our worldly populace and of this ignorance, everyday people can't determine the good from the bad. It is sad, truly sad, but if we as a free society wish to remain free, it isn't in our best interest to, for all intents and purposes, spook the herd, with the risk of getting trampled. I would like to keep my right to bear arms, I would like to see everyone bearing arms, but we have to take it one step at a time. I.E no walking into grocery stores full of "the herd" and spooking them with a bunch of big guns, you have to be gentle, just use a handgun, eventually they will be ready to try new things...

WalkingWolf

This is true but society doesn't function on the basis of a responsible and rational human being. Society must tend to those who cannot function civilly. That is why we have prisons, so we can pander to and "rehabilitate" those who refuse to obey laws and it is also why society has become overly tolerant of ignorance. This ignorance has overcome the majority of our worldly populace and of this ignorance, everyday people can't determine the good from the bad. It is sad, truly sad, but if we as a free society wish to remain free, it isn't in our best interest to, for all intents and purposes, spook the herd, with the risk of getting trampled. I would like to keep my right to bear arms, I would like to see everyone bearing arms, but we have to take it one step at a time. I.E no walking into grocery stores full of "the herd" and spooking them with a bunch of big guns, you have to be gentle, just use a handgun, eventually they will be ready to try new things...

Well spooking the herd is exactly what works. It is working in Texas, in worked at lunch counters, and on a bus. You can't move forward by moving backwards.

KingCharlemagne

That may be true in some places but not here so much. By spooking the herd we've gotten kicked out of target, chipotle, starbucks, and jack n the box. That doesn't exactly scream progress.

Logan 5

Being a young member of the OC community, I have had fewer experiences with other OCers than most. Today in a nearby grocery store, I was walking around and, like always, carrying my sidearm. I was confronted by 4 people and each encounter ended in them approving of what I was doing.
You’re lucky. I tried OC’ing when I was 18. Completely legal at the time. And everyone went full retard on me. "How do we know you’re not trying to hold up the store?!?!?!” Uhh, gee. I dunno. Maybe that I didn’t have a mask on and was getting groceries instead...? And since everyone there knew me....?

While I was in the store, another man, middle 30's, waltzed into the store with two AK pistols, and an full-sized AR-15 on his back. Really bruh?
Yeah, some people do that.

In about 5min those same 4 people ran up to me and hysterically told me that there was a terrorist in the store.
Riiiiight. Ok.
Why would those people come up to you? You’re not a cop, I presume? You don’t work there, right?

My question to you guys, and I know this is about to cause a sh*t storm, is it really necessary to OC a long rifle with tactical cosmetic features, especially in this world of an absurdly uneducated public? Not to mention carrying, not one, but three of them?
It’s not as much as the public being uneducated, but those carrying the rifles. They do so because they can. Ok, that’s fine.

If that’s what someone wants to do, by all means, don’t let me stop them. But I don’t think they’re looking at the whole picture.

Last edited:

KingCharlemagne

Those people came up to me because in their minds, especially after just having an awesome educative conversation with me, I was the good guy with the gun. The 6'5 shredded dude with tattoo sleeves, a wife beater, cargo pants, jack boots, and 3 deceivingly "scary" guns, is the bad guy. These people were confused by the legality of his actions. I told them I have this ONE handgun for personal protection and the protection of those around me. I explained how a would-be robber would probably go elsewhere if he saw another person with a gun. After this 30 min conversation, in the backs of their minds I'm a good guy and I'm there to protect them if needed. Mr. One man militia walking through the door, is who they think I should protect them from. Hence why they came to me. I felt somewhat embarrassed at having to explain the legality of his actions. I also feel as if his actions essentially destroyed all confidence those people had had in gun owners. Now, if we're invaded or the zombies attack right then, Mr. One man militia is my new best friend, and at that moment the smartest man in the world. In every other moment, he is a supreme ****** bag. I know there is the whole "we never know when the zombies will come" thing but I trust that with my glock, I can hold them off long enough to get from the store to my truck where I keep an AR-15 with a 65 round mag in a case beneath my back seat :)

WalkingWolf

That may be true in some places but not here so much. By spooking the herd we've gotten kicked out of target, chipotle, starbucks, and jack n the box. That doesn't exactly scream progress.

We have been kicked out of none of those places~~Maybe YOU have, but we have not. OCers continue to OC in all the places you have mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.