• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long Gun Open Carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalkingWolf

"Long gun discussion [here @ OCDO Forum] is considered to be off topic. "

Technically correct but with a "disclaimer" of sorts: It's not OT when it's re: a particular state that ONLY allows the OCing of long-guns -- like our less-fortunate brothers & sisters in The Great State of Texas. Since OCing a handgun there is illegal, cops and citizens would freak out, MWAG calls made, and you'd be tazed, bum-rushed (by alarmed cops) & arrested -- if not shot like that customer in Walmart recently (the one carrying the BB/pellet gun). In TEXAS (and whatever other state, if any, is like TX).

So what's left of you want to OC in TEXAS? Yep...a long-gun.

But Texas is a rarity, and I'm 100% sure the guy carrying 2 handguns and one long-gun wasn't doing it in TX (unless he was on something or insane) as only the AR-15 would be legal carry there.

As to the OPs questioning why the guy "needs" 3 guns, I'd agree that was a bit much and to the general/ignorant and easily frightened public "3 Gun Guy" could even be misinterpreted as a psyho-shooter loaded up for a "one-way-trip" if you will. Even an experienced OCer (or CCer) most likely would keep an eye on him -- just in case. I know I would. So personally, *I* would never do that...no need to look or act ANYTHING like trouble.

But as for the issue of OCing a long-gun (rifle/shotgun/carbine) at sling-arms, not handling it, and just going about one's business, I have NO problem with that at all.

Ideally (assorted current and differing state laws aside), we SHOULD be free to carry WHAT we want and HOW MANY we want (plus, knives of ANY length blade, even swords or tomahawks -- but that's another topic). Whatever, it's not my place to decide what some other person "needs" re: his choice of arm to carry -- or how many.

All I try to do in my conversations with people out there on the street (when they see me OCing and ask about it) is get them to CARRY...preferably, OC, but if they won't/can't, then at least CC.

Ohhhh scarry! Big man with tattoos and not dressed in a polo shirt dockers and tacticool boots. :lol:

Ya know for some reason I am getting more and more skeptical about your story...

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

In my area there are no firearms signs on those places.

Odd all of those places made a point of not banning firearms, just making a request. All across the country where OC is allowed there are no signs posted and we continue to OC in those places.

I call BS.

And trust me, we have been discussing this for a long long long time, your story does not meet muster IMO. Which begs the question why would you post it.

Last edited:

Logan 5

Those people came up to me because in their minds, especially after just having an awesome educative conversation with me, I was the good guy with the gun. The 6'5 shredded dude with tattoo sleeves, a wife beater, cargo pants, jack boots, and 3 deceivingly "scary" guns, is the bad guy. These people were confused by the legality of his actions. I told them I have this ONE handgun for personal protection and the protection of those around me. I explained how a would-be robber would probably go elsewhere if he saw another person with a gun. After this 30 min conversation, in the backs of their minds I'm a good guy and I'm there to protect them if needed. Mr. One man militia walking through the door, is who they think I should protect them from. Hence why they came to me. I felt somewhat embarrassed at having to explain the legality of his actions. I also feel as if his actions essentially destroyed all confidence those people had had in gun owners. Now, if we're invaded or the zombies attack right then, Mr. One man militia is my new best friend, and at that moment the smartest man in the world. In every other moment, he is a supreme ****** bag. I know there is the whole "we never know when the zombies will come" thing but I trust that with my glock, I can hold them off long enough to get from the store to my truck where I keep an AR-15 with a 65 round mag in a case beneath my back seat :)

Something just doesn't seem legit about the scene.
Welcome to OCD anyhow! :D

The Truth

+1 to skepticism and +1 to never getting kicked out of any of those places even though I regularly OC in Target (just did it last night, security guards, local police and all) and Starbucks.

What's that crispy rank smell?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Appreciate the interest that everybody here has in the RKBA; however, generalized discussion of long guns is not acceptable on OCDO.

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control and lack of trigger guard coverage, we cannot support long gun open carry.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

I'd like to know about that 65 rd AR magazine too, but not enough to keep this thread open - locked it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Please note that the OP has not returned since his 2 day run, 12/23 & 12/24 - he may have just driven off into the sunset.

Have to admit my spidy senses were tingling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.