• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please be careful out there!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
A truely negligent discharge? One caused by a defect of the mechanics of the handgun? Especially since everything has had to be "drop safe" since a while ago?

But then, it was a Cobra. Which has had a reputation as a problematic brand since "a while ago".

Could be.

stay safe.

DWCook

Activist Member
Why would you in the first place be carrying a sidearm in your pocket. Either holster or in the belt if you have to!

FreeInAZ

Why would you in the first place be carrying a sidearm in your pocket. Either holster or in the belt if you have to!

Lots of people do. The reason being concealment. Since this is a OC forum, many here may never carry in such a way and it surely isn't the best option in my opinion. But, hey, it's better than nothing, IF done in a safe manner. Skid brings up a good point - that being that cobra has had issues in the past. Hell, even Hi-Points have drop safeties. So it may have been many things that led to this injury?

ETA - the story notes the man was 60 years old. This means the firearm may have been purchased many years ago, when these pistols were notorious for having issues. The pistol was holstered when it hit the floor and discharged according to the story, so who knows, but it sounds like a combination of things went wrong to me.

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
I still wouldn't pocket carry a sidearm, better to have it in something secured where the trigger won't go off. But I can see both sides of the story on this.

Primus

I still wouldn't pocket carry a sidearm, better to have it in something secured where the trigger won't go off. But I can see both sides of the story on this.
I agree with you its better to have holster. Always.

I'll relate the one case where I don't use a holster. I have a nice northface type putter jacket I sometimes wear. There is an outer pocket on the left side of the chest that is literally the perfect size for my bodyguard. Once placed in there the gun can't flip around or even move very much. The muzzle remains pointed down on a angle so I can draw it safely if needed. That is the ONLY "pocket" carry I do and on very rare occasion.

You may ask why? Well for example I recently went to an event with family that required me to wear dress slacks and shirt/tie combo. I know that firearms were not permitted. So if I carried in my serpa under the same jacket (which conceals it fairly well) there was a chance of being seen and therefore pinched. There was no way to wear my nano IWB holster with my glock since my shirt was tucked into my dress slacks. So the deep pocket carry of a small gun was the only choice I had.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran

I see so many people putting that finger on the trigger when drawing from pockets. Very dangerous.
The only time I pocket carry is with a denim vest with a "concealed" pocket. Just a small pocket at left breast with a snap. I can slip a little P64 in there and it pretty much disappears. It is not the main battery tho, as I carry the BA gun in a holster, out where it can be seen.

WalkingWolf

Lots of people do. The reason being concealment. Since this is a OC forum, many here may never carry in such a way and it surely isn't the best option in my opinion. But, hey, it's better than nothing, IF done in a safe manner. Skid brings up a good point - that being that cobra has had issues in the past. Hell, even Hi-Points have drop safeties. So it may have been many things that led to this injury?

ETA - the story notes the man was 60 years old. This means the firearm may have been purchased many years ago, when these pistols were notorious for having issues. The pistol was holstered when it hit the floor and discharged according to the story, so who knows, but it sounds like a combination of things went wrong to me.

It is the man's story and he is sticking to it.

Most times there is a ND though it is from fingering the bang switch. Maybe the holster pulled the trigger.:banana:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
"Why would you in the first place be carrying a sidearm in your pocket." -- DWCook

Just some words, if you will, on this category of guns (and no, I don't call them Mouse Guns, as the ignorant do, as I don't disrespect Pocket Pistols like that -- they DO have their place, and ARE just as lethal as any other gun, in that the end result is death).

As already answered by fellow OCDO member FreeInAZ, "lots of people do." So welcome, DW, to the new (to you) and wonderful world of "Pocket Pistols" -- and yes, that's what they're called. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_pistol

Small and light enough to put into your pocket and carry just in that particular manner: Dress slacks, jeans or bathrobe pocket -- some even in swim trunks' tiny pockets (like a stainless-steel NAA Mini Revolver). And of course, they're usually of small caliber, too, by necessity.

For personal example, my 2 Berettas (21A Bobcat (inox) .22LR and 3032 Tomcat (inox) .32ACP) are classified as "Pocket Pistols." I've even carried both as my primary CC gun (also used to carry a NAA Mini Revolver in .22 Magnum) -- when I lived in Texas and ONLY CC was legal. And presently here in Colorado, when I can't carry my larger OC primary gun a particular day, I carry the .32 Beretta OC instead.

But, there ARE "Pocket Pistol Holsters" made for these guns, so if they are used, they keep the gun in one's pocket oriented in the same position at ALL times -- grip UP -- making a proper grip presentation possible to aid in positive drawing -- rather than just "fishing" for it, which is NOT good. If a Pocket Pistol IS in one's pocket, NOTHING ELSE is, ONLY the gun (or gun & holster). Carrying a Pocket Pistol in one's pocket makes it no less safer than any other form of carry. Please note, however, that a "naked" Pocket Pistol in one's pocket DOES collect lint though, so occasionally taking an old toothbrush to it and a Q-Tip to swab the bore of accumulated lint is advised -- or, just blow the lint out of the bore when you engage an assailant. Either method works. ;-)

BTW, a guy named Thad Rybka makes excellent leather Pocket Pistol (and larger) holsters, and has been doing so for YEARS now...but he's somewhat "reclusive." One person* in another forum said,

"He reportedly does not advertise, does not use the Internet & only responds to letters. I've bought & sold a couple of his holsters over the years & he seems to have a faithful following with an almost cult like reputation."

That's a good, concise summary of Thad. And I don't know of any pictures of the guy to be found, either. So if I may paraphrase "The A-Team" intro/narrative:

"...If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Thad Rybka."

So, if you're looking for a fine custom hand-made Pocket Pistol holster (and if you can find/contact him) then he makes nice holsters, some with a tiny extra-ammo pouch integral to the holster (for an additional 3-4 extra rounds), too. He does nice work.

As for me and MY Pocket Pistols, when I'm at home and in my "at home/work clothes" (i.e., more comfortable/relaxing), I carry my Beretta .32 in truly Pocket Pistol form (sans holster): It's in the small "coin" or "folding knife" pocket just above my right front main pocket of my jeans -- most jeans still have such smaller pockets, some don't, but I find this "specialty pocket" quite useful so I try to buy only jeans that HAVE this pocket, as I carry my "combat folder knife" in it when I am out on the street -- with my primary OC gun on me also, of course!

Anyway, the Beretta .32 fits in the small pocket snugly and never falls out -- unless I take my jeans off or lay down on the floor to watch TV or such. But standing up and walking around or sitting down @ my computer, it stays in the coin pocket nicely (with the grip exposed for drawing). And so always, even @ home, I have a gun ON me @ ALL times. No excuses! So when the doorbell rings, I always go to answer armed. With home invasions on the rise (they shouldn't be, but conservatives don't run things in America, liberals do) at least I have a gun ON me when I answer the door, even if it's "only" a .32 (or 22LR, or .22 Magnum). The UPS guy has seen it lots of times. ;-)

I can relate to the guy who dropped his gun in the restroom though, as *I* also have had "public restroom mishaps" if I may call them that: My primary OC gun dropped its magazine on the floor. Twice. Fortunately, no one else was in there on either occasion as it was embarrassing enough. But everything is okay now...some Scotch Tape to hold the mag in and all is well. In fact, it looks like a professional gunsmith did the "corrective" tape work, if I do say so myself. ;-)

Maybe that guy's Pocket Pistol went off because he had it cocked and a round in the chamber, so hitting the hard (probably tile) floor jarred it enough to fire it. Couldn't happen to me because I never have a round in the chamber in ANY gun I carry, and so consequently there is no reason to have it cocked. I would not want to carry a pistol in my pocket fully ready to fire...but maybe that's just me.

Pocket Pistols DO have their place, and they ARE guns (albeit small ones) so they ARE JUST AS LETHAL as larger guns. And they DO allow one to practice Rule # 1 of gun-carrying: Have a gun ON you! ;-)

Please forgive my "lecturing" as I just wanted to say a few things about Pocket Pistols, in case any other readers here are unfamiliar with the Pocket Pistol class of handguns.

If one can't carry a larger handgun, then carry a Pocket Pistol!

...because even 1 round of .22 Magnum in the face should at least get one's attention. ;-)

Happy New Year to all...

* Forum member "turnerriver" @ http://www.coltforum.com/forums/leather-accessories/57672-thad-rybka.html
(12-17-2012 08:25 AM)

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

I don't really have a problem with pocket carry. I personally only do so with a pocket holster. I have a little .38 with a pocket holster I'll drop into my pocket on rare occasions.

sraacke

I pocket carry nearly every day. I carry my Diamondback DB9 9mm pistol in a Blackhawk Size 2 pocket scabbard everywhere I go. It's a great backup to my fullsized Open Carry belt gun or a primary carry piece in those places where guns are not exacitly welcome.

HT3

I pocket carry a Sig P238 in my Duluth Trading company fire hose work pants. There is a small pocket inside the right front pocket that is perfectly sized to hold my sig grip up. My pistol also stays put through any movement I have made and the trigger is covered. I carry in condition 1 always.

Lyndsy Simon

I tend to pocket carry my KelTec P-32, even when I'm OCing. I've got a DeSantis Nemesis holster that my wife bought me years ago, and I've never had an issue. I carry it with a round in the chamber on a full magazine.

FreeInAZ

I tend to pocket carry my KelTec P-32, even when I'm OCing. I've got a DeSantis Nemesis holster that my wife bought me years ago, and I've never had an issue. I carry it with a round in the chamber on a full magazine.

Okay - I have to ask: you use the tiny 7 round mag when you carry the P32 or the 10 round mag that allows for a better grip? I ask because I have seen a world class speed shooter (Jerry M.) fumble for a pocket pistol, so to me the "two finger pinch" from the pocket seems to defeat the purpose of that particular pistol (aka rapid deployment in a SHTF scenario). Not being a dink here, just curious?

ETA - pocket carry as you do, makes good sense to me, that is - in addition to a primary pistol. Pocket carry as a primary.... , better than nothing.

Pocket carry has its place & as with all carry requires thought in clothing worn and strategy for deployment under stress and of course - practice, practice, practice. ;)

Not claiming to be a expert - just speaking from trial & error.

5ca873f560bc92bc78c08a4ad8c1a804.jpg

4a73b5a8e66628b805f16417804e13d4.jpg

Last edited: