• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This video makes zero sense! 1911 vs Glock!

WalkingWolf

Sorry, Glock fans, but I don't want a gun I clean by putting it in the dishwasher!! :lol:

Seriously, I guess it's my Army training, but I am just not comfortable with a pistol that does not have a regular safety on it. I carry either a Ruger P89 or a .45 ACP clone of a Combat Commander. On the Ruger, the safety is also a decocker. The .45, of course, is carried cocked and locked.

For you guys who like and carry Glocks; more power to you. They're just not my cup of tea, but I do understand that they are a quality, reliable weapon.

I was shooting my G37 today, it has a frightening light trigger, as light as my 1911. The part that is tricky it is like a compound bow, as you pull the trigger it reverse stacks getting lighter. That is why I call it a light switch trigger, once you go so far it just trips. I am used to it, but for many people that could be dangerous, with a Glock it is a must to keep the finger off the trigger until absolutely sure you are going to shoot. A sneeze could cause a ND by reflex. Glocks are not for everybody, though that is what many newbies want.

since9

Campaign Veteran
This guy states no information that would make his argument valid when it comes to Glock vs 1911. He made claims stating changing the grip on the 1911 would mess with it and cause it to stove pipe/ or failure to feed. He also stated he rarely sees anyone in his class use a 1911 and not have issues with it. I can't figure out if this guy is ranting due to having a bad 1911 or he's a huge egotistic fan boy of Glock. Figure I post this to see what you all think he's trying to throw out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfJj90eNIfE

I could care less how many thousands of students have fired how many millions of rounds in his classes, or that he was involved in military action on multiple continents including the North American continent as a police officer.

His "observations" are anecdotal, at best. He knows nothing of statistics, and his heavily biased in his opinion.

In short, while one should not merely dismiss his opinion, as he has indeed had a good deal of experience, he's not the only on who has had a good deal of experience. Proper use of statistics would poll perhaps a thousand people like him and see what they all said.

I guarantee you'd get quite a few people with equal experience who disagreed with his opinion.

For example, I haven't fired anywhere near the number of weapons he has, but I have fired over thirty different makes and models of handguns. I don't need to have fired every make and model on the planet to form an informed opinion of what I like, what I don't like, and why.

I don't like Glocks. I like my CZ. That's my opinion, and it's as well-qualified as I need it to be.

Rusty Young Man

Glocks are known to bust a cap all by themselves...usually after being handled in a manner the Glock does not appreciate.;)

My 1911A1 has yet to bust a cap just cuz it gets mistreated from time to time.
Bolding and underlining emphasis mine.

In reply to the bolded portion above:

Article said:
While stopped at a local gun shop to check out newer model Glocks, Counceller accidentally shot himself in the leg with his own. While it's not clear what model he carried, by process of elimination we can surmise that it's a Gen 2 or 3 G22, 23, 24, or 27

"It got tangled in my clothing," Counceller said of the incident, "I was wearing a sweatshirt and a fleece jacket. I felt (the gun) go in the holster and I pushed it, but it was tangled in the material, which caused it to discharge. The bullet went into my leg and then into the floor."
The mayor of Connersville, Leonard Urban, defended the chief and "It was just a little accident. Dave is an excellent marksman," Urban said Monday. "Apparently the Glocks don't have the trigger safety that they should have." SNIP...

Just throwing in my two centavos:
Seems like something may have gotten into the trigger guard area, pulling the trigger as the sidearm was being holstered; I believe this kind of phenomenon is what OC For ME was alluding to when he said "usually after being handled in a manner the Glock does not appreciate.;)" It could also explain the ";)" face.

I'll join in friendly jesting of these prominent Tupperware pistols any day, but I respect the reliability of the general design of Glock and most other pistols (quality, operable, maintained pistols; "QOMPs":p). This includes the acknowledgement that Glocks and "QOMPs" very rarely "go off by themselves" (as in, resulting from a mechanical failure), but instead have the expected internal movements resulting from the actuation of the trigger (whether the trigger is actuated consciously or unconsciously by a human, or even my an inanimate object, is another matter:p).

Last edited:

OC for ME

Very insightful. ;)

Glocks are virtually indestructible and will operate as designed after the most punishing of treatment. I have a Glock wannabe, XD 40.
The no-*firearms sign posted at airports features the distinctive, squat Glock silhouette. As Barrett writes, the Glock is “the Google of modern civilian handguns: the pioneer brand that defines its product category.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/b...s-gun-by-paul-m-barrett-book-review.html?_r=0

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=is+glock+an+american+gun+company?&spell=1
Not my cup of tea...good gun and I would pick one up if I found one laying on the ground.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Very insightful. ;)

Glocks are virtually indestructible and will operate as designed after the most punishing of treatment. I have a Glock wannabe, XD 40. Not my cup of tea...good gun and I would pick one up if I found one laying on the ground.

The XD would be a very good pistol if it didn't have a grip safety :)

The Truth

The Glock would be a good pistol if it had any safeties at all.

On one hand I totally agree. I would not reluctantly say that my Glock is the "least safe" of all my pistols. It's a one trick pony. It shoots when you pull the trigger. That's all it does. On the other hand, it's almost the perfect combat pistol. Lightweight, no bullsh!t, high capacity. In my opinion only trained shooters should EDC Glocks. They are even more precarious when CC'd.

WalkingWolf

Glocks are very unsafe in numpties hands, and very safe in a responsible gun owners hands. Problem is, there are so many numpties.

The "anybody can have a "accidental discharge"" line results in negligent discharges. I am surprised at so many people think that being careless is acceptable.

Last edited: