• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

transfer ccw permit from florida

mudgod45

I am moving to n.c. soon and know that n.c. recognizes my florida permit. how long do I have before I have to transfer that permit to a n.c. permit or do I ? Can I still use my florida permit in n.c. until it expires ?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO mudgod45.

Have taken the liberty of moving this to the NC sub-forum as it is a state specific question.

I understand that it will take a little while to familiarize yourself with our forum, but a good place to start is by reading the Forum Rules, particularly rule #7:

(7) NO SPAMMING: Links to spam/membership sites not related directly to firearms are NOT allowed under any circumstances! It is also considered spamming to post the same thread (even valid ones) to multiple forums.

According, have deleted the other thread posted to the Law Library.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I am moving to n.c. soon and know that n.c. recognizes my florida permit. how long do I have before I have to transfer that permit to a n.c. permit or do I ? Can I still use my florida permit in n.c. until it expires ?

I would think that your state of residence would take precedence over an expiration date of a permit -- like your DL license that might be good for 6 yrs (you move after 6 mos of getting license, you would have to get new DL in your state of residence well before the exp. date of the license).

bc.cruiser

Once you establish residency in NC, your FL permit would be void unless you can maintain 2-state residence. Once you have an address in NC, see if you can change your FL permit to a non-resident permit. You can then carry with it until it expires. You will not be able to use it to satisfy the NICS background checks for purchase from an FFL.

jsfrederick

You can "convert" your FL permit to a non resident permit. Just go to the FL division of licensing ( think that's the name) and put in a change of address. Your permit is still valid until the current expiration date. When you renew, you'll follow the non resident process.

I moved from FL to VA and did just that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thndr

Well I will post this here as to help some. My Va permit does not expire for another 5 years and in Va once it is issued it is good till it expires or you become disqualified for legal reasons. I have a letter from the Va State police stating they do not convert to a non-resident and that my resident permit is still good even though I am a non-resident now. I also wrote the NC AG to ask if my permit would still be honored since Va still considers it valid and got a confirmation on this. I keep digital copies of these on hand until I can get around to getting my NC CHP. This will allow me to continue to cc while getting my permit here. Now while this is an OC forum and many look down on the P4P, this will also eliminate me needing to get a PPP until we can work on the state to hopefully eliminate that law.

bc.cruiser

Well I will post this here as to help some. My Va permit does not expire for another 5 years and in Va once it is issued it is good till it expires or you become disqualified for legal reasons. I have a letter from the Va State police stating they do not convert to a non-resident and that my resident permit is still good even though I am a non-resident now. I also wrote the NC AG to ask if my permit would still be honored since Va still considers it valid and got a confirmation on this. I keep digital copies of these on hand until I can get around to getting my NC CHP. This will allow me to continue to cc while getting my permit here. Now while this is an OC forum and many look down on the P4P, this will also eliminate me needing to get a PPP until we can work on the state to hopefully eliminate that law.

Maybe I am misunderstanding this last sentence. You seem to be indicating that your VA CHP will allow you to purchase guns in NC. If that is your meaning, you are wrong. It will only allow you to CC; you will still need a PPP or NC CHP for purchase.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-402.html

(excerpt: a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase.)