• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many times have you saw an O.C.

Glock 1st fan

Seeing how its still a very rare sight to see I think I have seen maybe 3 outside of Open Carry events? How many times have you saw an open carrier outside of events?

JHART

I have seen exactly 4 open carriers. Being that I open carry from time to time, I took note of where I saw it and what type of firearm was carried.

Sports Academy...............Revolver

QT.................................Semi-Auto

Outdoor flea market.........Semi-Auto

City park.........................Revolver

Glock 1st fan

I have seen exactly 4 open carriers. Being that I open carry from time to time, I took note of where I saw it and what type of firearm was carried.

Sports Academy...............Revolver

QT.................................Semi-Auto

Outdoor flea market.........Semi-Auto

City park.........................Revolver

Oddly I went to special ops in Tulsa and I saw a kid wearing a thigh holster with a semi auto. Then at Academy on I-240 OKC I saw a gentleman wearing a semi auto.

I went to Academy in Tulsa and saw a guy standing in line with a semi auto and the one on 81st had a guy walking in with a semi auto. Come to think of it I saw one guy in walmart on 71st in Broken arrow wearing one. Thats the extent of my witnessing.

FTG-05

I haven't been to OK in years but while watching Rea Drummond's "The Pioneer Woman" on the Cooking channel, they filmed one man OCing. I couldn't tell what kind of gun, but it appeared to be a semi automatic in a belt holster on his right hip. Took a while for my wife to see it. This show is filmed at their home/ranch in northeast OK. The Drummond family is one of the largest landowners in the US.

Found it: Rancher's Dinner (1 Oct. 2011)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I haven't been to OK in years but while watching Rea Drummond's "The Pioneer Woman" on the Cooking channel, they filmed one man OCing. I couldn't tell what kind of gun, but it appeared to be a semi automatic in a belt holster on his right hip. Took a while for my wife to see it. This show is filmed at their home/ranch in northeast OK. The Drummond family is one of the largest landowners in the US.

Found it: Rancher's Dinner (1 Oct. 2011)
No link that others might see too?

The Truth

I've only seen 1. For the VA folks he was at the gas station on the corner of Broad and Belvidere at about 3am. Seemed like his gf was the cashier. He was a dark skinned fella.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've only seen 1. For the VA folks he was at the gas station on the corner of Broad and Belvidere at about 3am. Seemed like his gf was the cashier. He was a dark skinned fella.

I've seen nearly dozen over the last few years - but I get out during the day more than most of you fellers.

Also have lots and lots of CCers that want me to know that they are carrying too - yep give them the OC sales pitch and invite them here if there is the opportunity.

Maybe it's just my animal magnetism at work :lol:

woodyrr

In the just over two years during which open carry has been legal in Oklahoma, I have seen 2, yes, two, individuals openly carrying: One at the Home Depot and the firearm was small and easily missed. The other was the proprietor of his own store, in his store, which IMHO, doesn't really count.

On the other hand, I have stopped patronizing five businesses where I was a regular customer because they just could't sleep at night until they put up "No Open Carry" signs.:bang head:

In the interest of full disclosure: I do not open carry. It's simply my preference. I do support all forms of legal carry and stand with those who do carry openly by avoiding businesses that prohibit the practice.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In the just over two years during which open carry has been legal in Oklahoma, I have seen 2, yes, two, individuals openly carrying: One at the Home Depot and the firearm was small and easily missed. The other was the proprietor of his own store, in his store, which IMHO, doesn't really count.

On the other hand, I have stopped patronizing five businesses where I was a regular customer because they just could't sleep at night until they put up "No Open Carry" signs.:bang head:

In the interest of full disclosure: I do not open carry. It's simply my preference. I do support all forms of legal carry and stand with those who do carry openly by avoiding businesses that prohibit the practice.
That's confusing.

OC is your "preference", but you do not OC? Please elaborate.

okiephlyer

Just a quick list
Walmart in Durant
Walmart in Coweta
Walmart at 71st and the Creek Turnpike,
Walmart at 71st and 145th
Walgreens at 71st and Lynn Lane
Porter Peach Festival
Academy on 81st
Academy on 41st
Bass Pro in BA
Pizza Hut at 71st and 193rd
Steak N Shake in BA
There may be more, but that is what comes to mind right now.

FTG-05

No link that others might see too?

I don't have a link. My wife and I saw it via DVR and our DirecTV Cooking show channel. Maybe it's on youtube? I can't get my PC to run youtube right now, so can't help there.

Here's the IMDB link to the episode itself. Note that the "guns" they talk about are shotguns for the purposes of skeet shooting (there's a little competition between the Ree and her husband that she wins). The OCer was viewed just before the skeet competition between Ree and her husband and was only visible for a couple seconds. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2156341/?ref_=nm_flmg_slf_01

That's confusing.

OC is your "preference", but you do not OC? Please elaborate.

I think he's saying it's his preference to not OC. That's the way I read it. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
must be the neighborhood.....

It could be the State that I live in (Washington), but I see OC people all the time. Saw one just yesterday when I was out and about on my daily parade. It just is not uncommon here.
Now do not think everyone you see in Washington is armed, but we are creeping up on a half million CPLs.

FTG-05

It could be the State that I live in (Washington), but I see OC people all the time. Saw one just yesterday when I was out and about on my daily parade. It just is not uncommon here.
Now do not think everyone you see in Washington is armed, but we are creeping up on a half million CPLs.

Do you know I still have my WA CCW/CPL/whatever it's called? I think it expired around 1994 or so (I moved to AL 8/90). Of course, I never OC'd back then, I never heard of it before and the internet was.... I don't know: where was the internet in 1990 or thereabouts??????

Somebody bragged about the UT CCW here a couple weeks/months ago: What a joke! WA CCW is and was light years (literally) ahead of almost all other states (except perhaps for the obvious ones e.g. VT).

Glock 1st fan

In the last 2 years, I have been all over the state and have seen 6, besides myself :D

You know what I truly find amazing is when Open Carry was up for passage there was a big push even pop up groups that supported it. Not to say that people dont support it now but fast forward 2 years and the groups are dead. There are a few still struggling to make it but for the most part its dead. I truly thought that Open Carry would have become bigger faster then it did but oddly it did not. Now you see the occasional O.C. but very rarely and all those groups are all but gone. I did see where a few people tried to even get open carry dinners together and it would spark huge interest on here and other websites but unfortunately the numbers were not there in person.

I wish there was more interest in it but its still early on.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You know what I truly find amazing is when Open Carry was up for passage there was a big push even pop up groups that supported it. Not to say that people dont support it now but fast forward 2 years and the groups are dead. There are a few still struggling to make it but for the most part its dead. I truly thought that Open Carry would have become bigger faster then it did but oddly it did not. Now you see the occasional O.C. but very rarely and all those groups are all but gone. I did see where a few people tried to even get open carry dinners together and it would spark huge interest on here and other websites but unfortunately the numbers were not there in person.

I wish there was more interest in it but its still early on.
If you grab the bull by the horns........you'll generally get its attention.

Plan a meet-n-greet lunch or dinner. If only one person shows up, consider it a success on which you can build. Keep doing it once a month - eventually you will develop a nucleus of OC friends who like to talk and enjoy good food.

We started in central VA with 3 people some years ago - now average about 24 - had one special occasion where over 150 attended, some from out of state.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

I've seen nearly dozen over the last few years - but I get out during the day more than most of you fellers.

Also have lots and lots of CCers that want me to know that they are carrying too - yep give them the OC sales pitch and invite them here if there is the opportunity.

Maybe it's just my animal magnetism at work :lol:

Heck, I've lost count, but I've seen at least a couple dozen since I started paying attention. I see people in gas stations, Walmart, wherever. And that's not counting gun shops (customers too!) and shooting ranges.

But then, I also look to see what weapons, if any, I can spot on anybody I have the chance to look at, so I'm sure SA comes into it. (;))

Just a quick list
Walmart in Durant
Walmart in Coweta
Walmart at 71st and the Creek Turnpike,
Walmart at 71st and 145th
Walgreens at 71st and Lynn Lane
Porter Peach Festival
Academy on 81st
Academy on 41st
Bass Pro in BA
Pizza Hut at 71st and 193rd
Steak N Shake in BA
There may be more, but that is what comes to mind right now.

Sounds more like it. :cool:

Firearms Iinstuctor

In northern Wisconsin out side a few close friends I can't think of one other person I have seen. Rural area low population very low crime rate. A lot of the year one needs a coat or jacket even in summer some times it is warranted.

Now where I winter in AZ lots a bit better law very warm less reason to have a jacket on.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When I said "I've seen nearly dozen over the last few years," that is not counting, going to the range, VCDL meetings and picnics, OC breakfasts and dinners, etc - in short it is not counting where groups of us gather.

I am only consider happen chance (unicorn) sightings of people I do not know or unscheduled sightings of those known to me. I find those sightings increasing dramatically.