Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry - Harrisonburg Area

Open Carry - Harrisonburg, Rockingham County, Staunton, Augusta County etc

I thought I'd start one of these for Harrisonburg.

So far with no problems:
    Walmart on Burgess Rd
    Best Buy
    The Dog Park on Smithland Rd (Local Govt)
    Rolling Hills Antique Mall
    The Friendly Co-Op (oddly enough, no dramas)
    White Oak Lavender Farm
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-06-2015 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Deleted exclamation point to title

There are a few OCDO folks in that area. For some reason they seem to be wallflowers as opposed to social butterflies. As the enthusiastic new guy in town you might test to see if anybody will show up for an OC breakfast/lunch/dinner. Just post that you will be at a certain location at a certain date during a certain timeframe and invite others to join you.

Keep doing that till someone shows up. Then you can post about how nice the meet-up was.

Lather, rinse, repeat. "If you post it, they will come."

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    There are a few OCDO folks in that area. For some reason they seem to be wallflowers as opposed to social butterflies. As the enthusiastic new guy in town you might test to see if anybody will show up for an OC breakfast/lunch/dinner. Just post that you will be at a certain location at a certain date during a certain timeframe and invite others to join you.

Keep doing that till someone shows up. Then you can post about how nice the meet-up was.

Lather, rinse, repeat. "If you post it, they will come."

stay safe.
    Great advice. I hope they post on this thread.

Maybe we should host a OC event for the surrounding areas in VA. I'm sure some of you wouldn't mind taking a trip here?

Quote Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post

Maybe we should host a OC event for the surrounding areas in VA. I'm sure some of you wouldn't mind taking a trip here?
    You post where and when*. I'll drag at least one other to attend. (Just realize the Richmond OC Breakfasts start late for a reason - I don't do mornings well and need time to creep up on the new day.)

stay safe.

* - http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/hlife.html
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

You post where and when*. I'll drag at least one other to attend. (Just realize the Richmond OC Breakfasts start late for a reason - I don't do mornings well and need time to creep up on the new day.)

stay safe.

* - http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/hlife.html
    I'm a late morning kind of guy for breakfast if I'm doing breakfast at all. Lunchtime seems to be better in Harrisonburg with more options.

I'll start checking some places out and we can take it from there.

When driving to/fro Lexington and DC airport always timed it to hit the Chik-fil-a there. She graduated so not in that area much anymore. Would vicariously like to know of good local places to eat. Probably back out that way in March & April/May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    You post where and when*. I'll drag at least one other to attend. --snipped--
    Looks like I've been drafted. Fric & Frac ride again!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Not "drafted" but "voluntold". I was always told there was a difference.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Hi Lafayette. I lived in Harrisonburg for over 20 years before moving to Augusta County a couple years ago.
    The Friendly coop being open carry friendly really surprises me if it is owned by who I think it is. He's a nice guy but a bit of an old hippy.
    If you smoke cigars B&B Tobacco is also OC friendly and the owner, Brian is a great guy.
    Every place I open carry around here I have never heard any negative comments, and I open carry everywhere.

Not "drafted" but "voluntold". I was always told there was a difference.

stay safe.
    LOL! That's fabulous guys, it would be my pleasure. Give me a couple of weeks and I'll get something organized for sometime this month or early next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Roverhound View Post
    Hi Lafayette. I lived in Harrisonburg for over 20 years before moving to Augusta County a couple years ago.
    The Friendly coop being open carry friendly really surprises me if it is owned by who I think it is. He's a nice guy but a bit of an old hippy.
    If you smoke cigars B&B Tobacco is also OC friendly and the owner, Brian is a great guy.
    Every place I open carry around here I have never heard any negative comments, and I open carry everywhere.
    That is great to hear. Thanks for the info!

This evening I open carried at Regal Cinema in Harrisonburg. I had no issues though maybe no one saw it?

I'm in Charlottesville, I'll do what I can to be there.

There's a VCDL meeting at 7pm on the 13th and Rivanna Rifle & Pistol just south of Charlottesville, to prep for Lobby Day. Then, of course, there's Lobby Day on the 19th. If nothing else, I'll see you there

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsy Simon View Post

There's a VCDL meeting at 7pm on the 13th and Rivanna Rifle & Pistol just south of Charlottesville, to prep for Lobby Day. Then, of course, there's Lobby Day on the 19th. If nothing else, I'll see you there
    Thanks Lyndsy, I'll try and be there on the 13th.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Thanks Lyndsy, I'll try and be there on the 13th.
    Lobby day is important if you can make it Lafayette. You don't need to be a VCDL member but the anti's need to see the strength behind the pro gun voters.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Lobby day is important if you can make it Lafayette. You don't need to be a VCDL member but the anti's need to see the strength behind the pro gun voters.
    I'll do what I can to get there!

I'll do what I can to get there!
    There's a bus from Harrisonburg. http://www.vcdl.org/node/773 I'm not positive but I'm guessing that there will not be any singing of "99 bottles of beer".

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

There's a bus from Harrisonburg. http://www.vcdl.org/node/773 I'm not positive but I'm guessing that there will not be any singing of "99 bottles of beer".

stay safe.
    That sounds great, so if we don't have a CCW we have to then leave our guns at home?

That sounds great, so if we don't have a CCW we have to then leave our guns at home?
    One w/o a CHP would be fine/legal outside, on the grounds, but not in the building.

An alternate solution that delvers a BIG message is to wear an empty holster w/empty magazines.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsy Simon View Post

I have a question regarding this, for the Charlottesville meeting it says that there is a potluck dinner. Should I bring a dish there?

I have a question regarding this, for the Charlottesville meeting it says that there is a potluck dinner. Should I bring a dish there?
    Always good to bring something to share, but don't let that be the determining factor of attending.

Because of difficulties maneuvering the mobility scooter I will be staying either on the ground floor handing out GSL stickers or out on the plaza handing out GSL stickers. If you trust me (No, I will not give you a receipt) you can entrust your handgun to me while you are inside. That way you can do the empty holster thing when you go inside but remain armed otherwise.

I'm not mentioning any names (because I'm under a death threat) but there is not limit on the number of handguns one may bring inside so long as they have a valid CHP.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Because of difficulties maneuvering the mobility scooter I will be staying either on the ground floor handing out GSL stickers or out on the plaza handing out GSL stickers. If you trust me (No, I will not give you a receipt) you can entrust your handgun to me while you are inside. That way you can do the empty holster thing when you go inside but remain armed otherwise.

I'm not mentioning any names (because I'm under a death threat) but there is not limit on the number of handguns one may bring inside so long as they have a valid CHP.

stay safe.
    That's very kind of you.. Will I not get in trouble for brandishing if I start removing my handgun from my holster in public? I'm new to this so I'll ask and sound silly rather than not ask and get in trouble.

It is unfortunate that it is not more accessible for you!

What they can't see can't hurt you.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

I too will likely not make the rounds - difficulty hearing and my speaking voice sometimes makes people think I am on drugs or inebriated - radiation therapy does what it does.

I tend to be a free floater - a tip of the iceberg if you will. Skid and I have played Frick & Frack (double team tag match) with the ill prepared. Both of us carry digital recorders and a camera w/video capacity.

Yes there are ways to transfer a handgun w/o brandishing - not seen, no problem. Look for either Santa Claus in a electric wheelchair and/or a skinny dude who wears a purdy 1911 and ammo as ballast - he gets windy down there. Just ask for Skidmark or Grapeshot - we are known to most.

.... Look for either Santa Claus in a electric wheelchair .... Just ask for Skidmark or Grapeshot - we are known to most.
    I'll probably be wearing my DayGlo Orange VCDL hat. It's part of the Frick & Frack uniform. Look for it - it glows.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

I'll probably be wearing my DayGlo Orange VCDL hat. It's part of the Frick & Frack uniform. Look for it - it glows.

stay safe.
    I would not post a picture of someone's face without their approval ahead of time but some say this is his better side anyway......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2143.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	12315

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast