• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry - Harrisonburg Area

Lafayette

Open Carry - Harrisonburg, Rockingham County, Staunton, Augusta County etc

I thought I'd start one of these for Harrisonburg.

So far with no problems:
Walmart on Burgess Rd
Best Buy
The Dog Park on Smithland Rd (Local Govt)
Rolling Hills Antique Mall
The Friendly Co-Op (oddly enough, no dramas)
White Oak Lavender Farm

Last edited by a moderator:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There are a few OCDO folks in that area. For some reason they seem to be wallflowers as opposed to social butterflies. As the enthusiastic new guy in town you might test to see if anybody will show up for an OC breakfast/lunch/dinner. Just post that you will be at a certain location at a certain date during a certain timeframe and invite others to join you.

Keep doing that till someone shows up. Then you can post about how nice the meet-up was.

Lather, rinse, repeat. "If you post it, they will come."

stay safe.

Lafayette

There are a few OCDO folks in that area. For some reason they seem to be wallflowers as opposed to social butterflies. As the enthusiastic new guy in town you might test to see if anybody will show up for an OC breakfast/lunch/dinner. Just post that you will be at a certain location at a certain date during a certain timeframe and invite others to join you.

Keep doing that till someone shows up. Then you can post about how nice the meet-up was.

Lather, rinse, repeat. "If you post it, they will come."

stay safe.

Great advice. I hope they post on this thread.

Maybe we should host a OC event for the surrounding areas in VA. I'm sure some of you wouldn't mind taking a trip here?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Maybe we should host a OC event for the surrounding areas in VA. I'm sure some of you wouldn't mind taking a trip here?

You post where and when*. I'll drag at least one other to attend. (Just realize the Richmond OC Breakfasts start late for a reason - I don't do mornings well and need time to creep up on the new day.)

stay safe.

* - http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/hlife.html

Lafayette

You post where and when*. I'll drag at least one other to attend. (Just realize the Richmond OC Breakfasts start late for a reason - I don't do mornings well and need time to creep up on the new day.)

stay safe.

* - http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/hlife.html

I'm a late morning kind of guy for breakfast if I'm doing breakfast at all. Lunchtime seems to be better in Harrisonburg with more options.

I'll start checking some places out and we can take it from there.

HPmatt

When driving to/fro Lexington and DC airport always timed it to hit the Chik-fil-a there. She graduated so not in that area much anymore. Would vicariously like to know of good local places to eat. Probably back out that way in March & April/May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roverhound

Hi Lafayette. I lived in Harrisonburg for over 20 years before moving to Augusta County a couple years ago.
The Friendly coop being open carry friendly really surprises me if it is owned by who I think it is. He's a nice guy but a bit of an old hippy.
If you smoke cigars B&B Tobacco is also OC friendly and the owner, Brian is a great guy.
Every place I open carry around here I have never heard any negative comments, and I open carry everywhere.

Lafayette

Looks like I've been drafted. Fric & Frac ride again! :lol:

Not "drafted" but "voluntold". I was always told there was a difference.:D

stay safe.
LOL! That's fabulous guys, it would be my pleasure. Give me a couple of weeks and I'll get something organized for sometime this month or early next month.

Hi Lafayette. I lived in Harrisonburg for over 20 years before moving to Augusta County a couple years ago.
The Friendly coop being open carry friendly really surprises me if it is owned by who I think it is. He's a nice guy but a bit of an old hippy.
If you smoke cigars B&B Tobacco is also OC friendly and the owner, Brian is a great guy.
Every place I open carry around here I have never heard any negative comments, and I open carry everywhere.

That is great to hear. Thanks for the info!

This evening I open carried at Regal Cinema in Harrisonburg. I had no issues though maybe no one saw it?

Lyndsy Simon

I'm in Charlottesville, I'll do what I can to be there.

There's a VCDL meeting at 7pm on the 13th and Rivanna Rifle & Pistol just south of Charlottesville, to prep for Lobby Day. Then, of course, there's Lobby Day on the 19th. If nothing else, I'll see you there :)

Lafayette

There's a VCDL meeting at 7pm on the 13th and Rivanna Rifle & Pistol just south of Charlottesville, to prep for Lobby Day. Then, of course, there's Lobby Day on the 19th. If nothing else, I'll see you there :)

Thanks Lyndsy, I'll try and be there on the 13th.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That sounds great, so if we don't have a CCW we have to then leave our guns at home?
One w/o a CHP would be fine/legal outside, on the grounds, but not in the building.

An alternate solution that delvers a BIG message is to wear an empty holster w/empty magazines.

Lafayette

I have a question regarding this, for the Charlottesville meeting it says that there is a potluck dinner. Should I bring a dish there?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have a question regarding this, for the Charlottesville meeting it says that there is a potluck dinner. Should I bring a dish there?
Always good to bring something to share, but don't let that be the determining factor of attending.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
That sounds great, so if we don't have a CCW we have to then leave our guns at home?

Because of difficulties maneuvering the mobility scooter I will be staying either on the ground floor handing out GSL stickers or out on the plaza handing out GSL stickers. If you trust me (No, I will not give you a receipt) you can entrust your handgun to me while you are inside. That way you can do the empty holster thing when you go inside but remain armed otherwise.

I'm not mentioning any names (because I'm under a death threat:D) but there is not limit on the number of handguns one may bring inside so long as they have a valid CHP.

stay safe.