• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry - Harrisonburg Area

CavTrooperCason

Hi Folks.

Good to see Skid, Grape and Peter are still mean as ever! Perhaps I shall plan something soon for this area..... But until then I will see you guys in Richmond this weekend. It has been too long since I have made the journey over. Oh and skid, Im bringing the death ray to solve your problem:banana:.

Lafayette

Lafayette, it was good to see you and your lovely lady at Lobby Day and at the dinner on Sunday night. Glad you could come over to be with us!

Thank you, sir. It was certainly a pleasure to meet those of you that I had a chance to meet. I look forward to spending more time with you all in the near future.

Lafayette

I had a very positive experience last week with Harrisonburg Police. I had to call them due to some crazy neighbors threatening to stab each other and advised that I was open carrying. One officer arrived on scene, then his supervisor did. Then some more officers came. They were all very friendly, their supervisor made a suggestion to get a concealed carry permit in case my coat covered my holster and he made sure his officers were aware that I was open carrying and allowed to do so.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I had a very positive experience last week with Harrisonburg Police. I had to call them due to some crazy neighbors threatening to stab each other and advised that I was open carrying. One officer arrived on scene, then his supervisor did. Then some more officers came. They were all very friendly, their supervisor made a suggestion to get a concealed carry permit in case my coat covered my holster and he made sure his officers were aware that I was open carrying and allowed to do so.

It doesn't get much better than that.

Did they make any arrests?

bloodstone1311

I'm a bit north of Harrisonburg,in the Mt Jackson area,don't get down there as often as I used to but for over two years I have open carried everywhere from Winchester to Harrisonburg to Staunton,everyday,everywhere at all times, with no real problems at all.One dingbat tried to argue about my Glock and how 'guns kill people' in Timberville Food Lion,but promptly lost the argument(not hard,facts are like sunlight to a vampire to the antis),I've heard the occasional murmur of "he's got a gun!' behind me but dozens of good reactions too.

flyerrc

I have lived in Harrisonburg just about all my life. I open carry quite a bit, in Valley Mall I do get looks from there security rentals, but they have never confronted or said anything. I guess that being we are in a rural setting it more common here.

Last edited: