• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pincus tries to shoot himself in the left arm

independence

Here's a video of Rob Pincus spending 4 minutes trying really hard to shoot himself in the left arm, hand and finger (maybe torso, too). He is ultimately unsuccessful but succeeds in teaching us that it's okay to have body parts that are across the firing line.

http://youtu.be/AxwAzUBkGcU

Here's a screen capture taken just milliseconds after he pulls the trigger:

97a1f02b46aeca2c24381b5600a8f248.jpg

...The red arrow points to the bullet hole that is a little too close for comfort to his left arm...

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I noticed he swept his hand a couple times with a loaded firearm, he is about as bright as Yeager. Besides this type of training should be done with a non firearm, why the hell is he training for CC while open carrying. Training should always be the same as carry, and we know his feelings on open carry.

A certified trainer teaching bad habits.

The Truth

I've almost completely given up calling out unsafe firearm practices on YouBoob. The instances are too plentiful and I usually just get cussed out for "not knowing $h!t" and being "an idiot troll."

Rusty Young Man

It's alright; the rules of gun safety don't apply if you're an operator.:rolleyes:

As a rule of thumb, I get out the popcorn whenever I watch or read something with the word "tactical" in it, or when I listen to someone who touts themselves as "tactical" instructors.:)

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

The technique he is showing has been taught for decades and learned by thousands wanting to know how to defend one self at extremely short range.

One does not start training with live ammo or firing right off the start, done properly it is a well recognized and taught technique including live fire training.

When he is shooting is body parts are well away from the muzzle yes is left hand/arm is forward of the muzzle but well away from the bullet path but that is the proper way to execute this technique.

You are using your reaction hand to defend your self from your attacker giving your self time and space to draw to shoot or do what is needed.

You are keeping the pistol back and indexed to your body controlling it and away from being grabbed and use against you or taken away.

I trained hundreds in the use of this technique up to and through full speed drawing and firing. Trained, practiced and done properly it is as safe as many other techniques trained and use by many.

It is as safe as standing facing down range only firing when your in a good strong standing position being told when to pick up your firearm, when load, when to fire no it isn't. One does not learn advance firearms techniques standing in one spot only shooting from one position.

For those who can not train or consider them self capable of using this technique or other advance techniques safely I would suggest, they not use it or try them.

If one is not capable of learning to do it safely on their own I would suggest that they find some one who can teach them how to so safely if they want to learn it or other advance techniques.

If your range doesn't allow for advance firearms training I suggest you find one or place to go to and advance your skill levels.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
Firearms Iinstuctor said:
The technique he is showing has been taught for decades and learned by thousands wanting to know how to defend one self at extremely short range.

Stupid as stupid does, pointing a gun at your own body part is stupid!

Properly executed, the technique does not result in the firearm being pointed at one's own body parts. To the extent it is not properly executed and results in the firearm being pointed (however briefly) at one's own body then, stupid is as stupid does.

Charles

WalkingWolf

Properly executed, the technique does not result in the firearm being pointed at one's own body parts. To the extent it is not properly executed and results in the firearm being pointed (however briefly) at one's own body then, stupid is as stupid does.

Charles

Wellllll it was not properly done, because he did point a loaded firearm at his own hand. Plus if you can't hit a paper target at less than a foot you have no business carrying a firearm. I find the show off game nothing more than playing tactical foolishness. There is no need for a loaded firearm for this type of training. It is more a martial arts training and does not need a live gun.

Again if you have to practice shooting a target at less than a foot you have no business carrying a firearm.

utbagpiper

Banned
Wellllll it was not properly done, because he did point a loaded firearm at his own hand.

Did he point a firearm at his own hand while actually demonstrating the technique? Or only while talking through the technique prior to demonstrating it?

The talk through should have been done with a blue inert with the live gun swapped in only for the demonstration.

Plus if you can't hit a paper target at less than a foot you have no business carrying a firearm.
Again if you have to practice shooting a target at less than a foot you have no business carrying a firearm.

Is this where you would normally jump in and point out that the 2nd amendment doesn't say anything about personal ability or other limits on the exercise of the RKBA?

I didn't realize the 2nd amendment only applied to those who are born innately capable of whatever level of proficiency you think should apply.

Now, back to the reality of knowing the difference between good advice and actually imposing legal limits....

If someone isn't well versed in safely shooting at very close range I suppose he should either not attempt to shoot at those ranges, OR...wait for it...

He should get some instruction and then practice until and so he is safe and proficient.

I find the show off game nothing more than playing tactical foolishness. There is no need for a loaded firearm for this type of training. It is more a martial arts training and does not need a live gun.

I think the point of the demonstration is to show how to safely shoot an attacker at less than 1 foot without shooting yourself. Admittedly, the pre-demo talk through failed to observe proper safety and a blue inert would be appropriate there. I think there is some value in showing the live fire example.

Not saying I'm going to pay the guy for any of his training, but I'm not sure I understand why some are uptight over the video.

Charles

WalkingWolf

There is a responsibility to carrying a firearm, and that includes not putting others in danger. You have right to bear arms, not be an idiot(general).

utbagpiper

Banned
There is a responsibility to carrying a firearm, and that includes not putting others in danger. You have right to bear arms, not be an idiot(general).

I see. So when I suggest that if one wants to carry firearms so as to change public opinion, one should not ignore public opinion, it is statism at work; a direct attack on the 2nd amendment even though I never actually supported any legal limits on how one peacefully carries.

But when you put limits on the 2nd amendment it is ok. Gotcha.

To quote someone near and dear to you: The 2nd amendment doesn't include any "but" clause.

Violate others' rights and I'll support proper punishment. Until you violate others' rights, I'll support the RIGHT to carry.

I will suggest that proper training be gained, along with giving some thought to how one's conduct might affect ones stated goals.

I also recognize that what may be intuitive to some may be something where some formal training is proper for others.

Charles

WalkingWolf

Simple, if you can't hit the broad side of a barn you are a danger with a firearm. Plus who trains for hand to hand with a piece of paper?

The whole idea is completely stupid, just intended to make a buck from fools.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It's easy to critique if that is your agenda.

The method is an advance skill. There are others too that need to be subjected to the learning curve, but I assure you they work and are being taught today.

WalkingWolf

It's easy to critique if that is your agenda.

The method is an advance skill. There are others too that need to be subjected to the learning curve, but I assure you they work and are being taught today.

This should be taught in a self defense class, which is exactly how it was done before concealed carry became popular and the tactikewl crowd started making money off of it. I can't see much learned from hand to hand training with a paper target, it just is not IMO practical. NO where near real life, the problem is not being able to hit a piece of paper attacking you, the problem is real attacker attacking you. That takes hand to hand, and should not be done with a real firearm.

We have already seen accidents from people who have tried to imitate what Pincus and others have done(I can't believe I just ***** shot myself). If anything do it with a airsoft, but even that is unnecessary, find a decent MA instructor and do it right.

Sorry Grape but shooting a inanimate paper target at one foot is not a skill, let alone advanced skill, IMO. Anybody can do it, even a hoplophobe who has never handled a firearm.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I am a firm believer in the constitutional right to own and carry a firearm.

I am also a firm believer if you are going to carry one for your or some one elses defense you know how to safely carry and use such.

Doing so and having the skill is not a constitutional requirement for ownership carrying or the use of said firearm.

But I am a firm believer in taking personally responsibility if you screw up.

Many people have used firearms to save them selves others and to stop crime with very little or no training.

People have been shot, criminals missed, bystanders hit and other things have happen to them and others because the lack of knowledge, training and careless use of firearms.

Constitutionally there very minimum requirement under the 2nd

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I don't see much beside being a (people) or a member of the people as a requirement.

any other requirement could be considered an infringement.

The personal knowledge and training with firearms or other weapons while IMHO is a good idea but is not a constitutional requirement..

Being stupid with there use injuring yourself or others when it was not intended is just not a good idea.

Doing so because you were just lazy, cheap or just didn't care is worse and is not being personally responsible.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

FI I agree with you, I want no infringement on firearms carry or ownership. But I do expect people to be held accountable for dumb or reckless acts that injure others. And they should get no sympathy for being outright dangerous when they hurt themselves.

IMO the proper training for hand to hand with a firearm is with a martial arts instructor who specializes in it. And I can almost guarantee they will not allow firearms in class. Usually they will provide the props.

independence

Here's a screen capture taken just milliseconds after he pulls the trigger:

97a1f02b46aeca2c24381b5600a8f248.jpg

...The red arrow points to the bullet hole that is a little too close for comfort to his left arm...

FI, What is your opinion of the location of the bullet hole in relation to his arm? If you don't trust my selection of a pause for a screenshot, check the video for yourself and see what you think about the bullet hole.

For me, the bullet hole is too close to his arm. And I wouldn't be too surprised if he cussed a few times after the camera was off and wished he had been more careful.