• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pincus tries to shoot himself in the left arm

WalkingWolf

FI, What is your opinion of the location of the bullet hole in relation to his arm? If you don't trust my selection of a pause for a screenshot, check the video for yourself and see what you think about the bullet hole.

For me, the bullet hole is too close to his arm. And I wouldn't be too surprised if he cussed a few times after the camera was off and wished he had been more careful.

That does not concern me, but he did sweep his hand with a loaded firearm, at least twice. Plus a paper target is not a threat, and not really difficult for anybody to hit.

My problem is this~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGmTrQXrwg

independence

Firearms Iinstuctor

As with almost all organized marital acts done in a dojo it was a nice dance on the street when he did his first I am clearing my mind step he would have been taken out.

Promoting practice and training is a good idea, doing so with unnecessary dance steps is dangerous one fights as one trains.

This training has no live fire practice total different then the first clip.

As shown very little training is perfect and if one wants, one can find something to criticize about it.

One has to learn to take what is good and useful and adapt those items to be useful to oneself.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It's easy to critique if that is your agenda.

The method is an advance skill. There are others too that need to be subjected to the learning curve, but I assure you they work and are being taught today.

As with almost all organized marital acts done in a dojo it was a nice dance on the street when he did his first I am clearing my mind step he would have been taken out.

Promoting practice and training is a good idea doing so with unnecessary dance steps is dangerous one fights as one trains.

This training has no live fire practice total different then the first clip.

As shown very little training is perfect and if one wants, one can find something to criticize about it one has to learn to take what is good about and useful and adapt those items to be useful to oneself.

We agree.

Train as much as you can - a dose of good luck/fortune does hurt either :)

Firearms Iinstuctor

We agree.

Train as much as you can - a dose of good luck/fortune does hurt either :)

I found that being lucky can be as fortune as being good or does being good bring out the luck. :)

Those that are highly train and skilled in some actively tend to accomplish things more often that others would be just lucky to do.

Last edited:

independence

WW's analysis of the video is that he muzzle swept his hand mutliple times. I have not seen anyone deny that yet, unless I missed it. If he indeed muzzle swept his hand, then why defend him? Instead, call a spade a spade and say he unnecessarily endangered himself. He could have easily performed the training exercise without muzzle sweeping his hand, true?

WalkingWolf

Shooting moving targets and/or distance takes some skill, shooting a non moving paper target at one foot does not. Presenting a firearm during hand to hand takes skill, but is unsafe to practice/train with a loaded firearm. Since no skill is needed to hit a still paper target at one foot, then one should practice presentation at hand to hand range, and if possible train with a certified sane, responsible trainer. That means seeking out MA instructors who specialize in firearm retention and hand to hand presentation with a firearm. And they for the most part do not even allow firearms in the classroom, let alone loaded ones.

Unless ISPA has changed their training was with rubber guns, and hand to hand instructors, that is the responsible way to train for such an event. Even if Pincus had not swept his hand, though he clearly did, my wife and I counted 4 times. It is this training(cough, cough) that HAS caused negligent discharges and injuries, and Pincus knows it. He is trying to make a buck, he gets interest in his classes where he can make more money, plus for every click on his youtube account he is paid for the advertising that is imbedded in his videos.

He really doesn't care if you shoot yourself, just making money. That is the problem with the CC industry right now, it is all about making money and screw it if anyone gets hurt.

As a disclaimer I make no money from recommending responsible MA trainers. I am not a MA trainer, and belong to no MA interest groups or clubs. I am not even a member on any MA websites.

You do not have to become a black belt to learn proper technique. Take a few classes, learn, and then you can practice on your own. You can learn by video but it is not the same and more chance for injury if not overseen and done right.

Last edited:

J_dazzle23

I gotta admit, this being a live fire drill seems odd. You can practice hip fire without sweeping your hand over the muzzle.

I've never much liked this guy anyway, tbh.

Some of these "gurus" leave me scratching my head at at times.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Don't forget that Pincus was key in Life of Brian... "I have a vewy gweat fwiend in Wome called 'Biggus Pincus'."

...shooting a non moving paper target at one foot does not...
I think the case has been presented that shooting a non moving paper target at one foot, from the holster and without covering your own body parts, does indeed require some skill, and that said skill is lacking in the subject video.

independence

<snip>

If one is not capable of learning to do it safely on their own I would suggest that they find some one who can teach them how to so safely if they want to learn it or other advance techniques.

If your range doesn't allow for advance firearms training I suggest you find one or place to go to and advance your skill levels.

Lack of gun safety is now considered an "advanced" technique that lowly people like us aren't man enough to try...

[rolls eyes]

OC for ME

The shot is not the point at that range. It is the move, the draw, that is the point. The shot is almost a moot point if you must defend yourself at that range. Ya can't shoot yourself in the hand if you can't draw your gat when being pummeled by a thug.

Repeated repetition done repeatedly is how you train your mind and applicable body parts to perform that move without shooting yourself in the hand, or anywhere or anyone else for that matter. The trick is to not finger the trigger during the draw until you need to finger the trigger. Looks easy until you try to do the move and shot(s) in less than three seconds while at the same time attempting to use your other arm/hand to create space from your attacker.

Youtube "firing from retention." A last resort skill that should be learned and practiced from time to time. The rub is finding a range that will let you practice this with live firing.

WalkingWolf

The shot is not the point at that range. It is the move, the draw, that is the point. The shot is almost a moot point if you must defend yourself at that range. Ya can't shoot yourself in the hand if you can't draw your gat when being pummeled by a thug.

Repeated repetition done repeatedly is how you train your mind and applicable body parts to perform that move without shooting yourself in the hand, or anywhere or anyone else for that matter. The trick is to not finger the trigger during the draw until you need to finger the trigger. Looks easy until you try to do the move and shot(s) in less than three seconds while at the same time attempting to use your other arm/hand to create space from your attacker.

Youtube "firing from retention." A last resort skill that should be learned and practiced from time to time. The rub is finding a range that will let you practice this with live firing.

You can practice everyday at home with a non gun, or airsoft. The presentation is the most important part, and with a non gun you can actually train with a living person instead of a piece of paper.

OC for ME

True. That builds muscle memory. When your brain knows there is a loaded firearm in the holster all sorts of strange things can happen. Using props is fine to train mind/muscle. Live firing completes the training. I use props to keep mind and muscles linked. Live fire about once a year so as to have the ole noodle remember that this skill is very dangerous and must not be approached with any sort of apathy.

Slow motion and slowly build up to fast speed. I have a friend handy just in case. Personally, I don't like this skill but ya never know when it must come in handy.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Dry firing practice, air soft, replica, non firing training guns are all useful in building skills, muscle memory and so on I use all of them.

But they do not replace live fire training.

Last edited: