Thread: Those vaunted background checks - may not be as good as the gungrabbers think

Those vaunted background checks - may not be as good as the gungrabbers think

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...hecks/7959529/

WASHINGTON Millions of fugitives can pass undetected through federal background checks and buy guns illegally because police departments across the country routinely fail to put their names into a national database that tracks people on the run from the law.

Those background checks, conducted by the FBI, are designed to block fugitives, felons, the mentally ill and others who might be violent from buying firearms. They automatically bar sales to anyone identified in federal records as having an outstanding arrest warrant, even if it is for a minor crime.

Yet despite years of attempts to shore up the government's National Instant Background Check System, enormous gaps remain, particularly when it comes to identifying fugitives. In five states alone, law enforcement agencies failed to provide information to the FBI about at least 2.5 million outstanding arrest warrants, police and court records show. Among them are tens of thousands of people wanted for violent offenses and other felonies.

"I remember when I bought my first gun thinking that I could have had a felony warrant for murder and they wouldn't have known," said Kevin Collins, who supervises Michigan's fugitive database for the state police.
    (emphasis added)

Let's all contact CSGV and Bloomberg and Mommies Demand Attention and the rest of them and ask them to explain how good their background checks look now.

http://giphy.com/gifs/gifburns-patri...14sLraE9VZtFug

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Ohhh come on skid you know those checks makes us all feel good, and after all FFL's have to eat too.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Banned
    BR CHK laws mean little if FFLs just refuse to do them .... can they be mandatory? Or are just directory provisions of the law?

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    There are tens of thousands of Capias Warrants issued and withdrawn every day. The system could not even handle that volume.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    There are tens of thousands of Capias Warrants issued and withdrawn every day. The system could not even handle that volume.
    I don't even see where a warrant would warrant a prohibition on a purchase.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I don't even see where a warrant would warrant a prohibition on a purchase.
    Missing a court date for a burnt out headlight produces a warrant. Out of fear you may want to purchase a handgun.

Banned
    Missing a court date for a burnt out headlight produces a warrant. Out of fear you may want to purchase a handgun.
    Those people ! <GASP>

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    BR CHK laws mean little if FFLs just refuse to do them .... can they be mandatory? Or are just directory provisions of the law?
    Dear sweet shivering Shiva on a pogo stick! For the sake of what's left of my sanity, if for no other reason, either put some indication that you are being sarcastic/snarky/stupid at the end of you post or change your signature to indicate that you really, truely are defective/deficient.

BTW - January 19th is fast approaching. Will you be accepting the offer of free transportation, room, and board to come down on Lobby Day to educate our General Asssembly on how things are supposed to be done?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Does not matter. The antis want to prevent every single disqualified individual from ever gaining legal possession of a firearm. They tell us that background checks are the one sure, one true way to accomplish that goal. Let them explain this gigantic "loophole" in their beloved system.

Also remember that the background check system depends on local courts reporting information in a timely and accurate manner. Pass a federal law requiring full compliance with the reporting of warrants and other "fugitive from justice" statuses and see your local judges suddenly discover the 10th Amendment immediately after the legislature tells them that even if the judges jail every member of the legislature for both civil and criminal contempt they are not passing a bill to expend the tax dollars necessary to meet the cost of that mandate. (With the possible exception of California which is the only state I am aware of that can legally pass deficit budgets.)

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Dear sweet shivering Shiva on a pogo stick! For the sake of what's left of my sanity, if for no other reason, either put some indication that you are being sarcastic/snarky/stupid at the end of you post or change your signature to indicate that you really, truely are defective/deficient.

BTW - January 19th is fast approaching. Will you be accepting the offer of free transportation, room, and board to come down on Lobby Day to educate our General Asssembly on how things are supposed to be done?

stay safe.
    Sorry that you are insane or near it, as you posted. See one of those Obamacare-Kissinger doctors right away!

There was a lot of good in the "old ways." Contrary to popular misconception, the "wild" West wasn't all that wild after all. Most cities eclipse it in terms of crime. Back then, if people got out of line, that would be corrected by the general populace rather quick.

Unfortunately, they corrected pretty much everything, including differences of opinion, through force.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

If i hold a difference of opinion regarding real property taxes and refuse to pay, because a tax on property I own and maintain without state (or federal) aid, I'm quite confident that force would be used by the state to address our difference of opinion.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    If i hold a difference of opinion regarding real property taxes and refuse to pay, because a tax on property I own and maintain without state (or federal) aid, I'm quite confident that force would be used by the state to address our difference of opinion.
    Now, as then, those brutes who come to carry out the predations of the state in order to collect back taxes wait for you to make the first offensive move. But yes, the government will expend magnitude of order more money trying to collect the tax than the actual sum of the tax owed.

Since I and all the other taxpayers must pay for the government to absorb that additional expense, I hold you responsible for the additional taxes we are told to pay.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Now, as then, those brutes who come to carry out the predations of the state in order to collect back taxes wait for you to make the first offensive move. But yes, the government will expend magnitude of order more money trying to collect the tax than the actual sum of the tax owed.

Since I and all the other taxpayers must pay for the government to absorb that additional expense, I hold you responsible for the additional taxes we are told to pay.

stay safe.
    You would...then again, I ain't going to the revenuers office to not pay the tax, the revenuer is coming to my land to collect the tax. So, who made the first offensive move?

I thought you, of all folks around here, wudda knowed that...I was mistaken...sorry.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    You would...then again, I ain't going to the revenuers office to not pay the tax, the revenuer is coming to my land to collect the tax. So, who made the first offensive move?

I thought you, of all folks around here, wudda knowed that...I was mistaken...sorry.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bagofidiots_zpsad3feccb.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	12316

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Ah...the last resort. I concede defeat. Well played Sir.