• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Those vaunted background checks - may not be as good as the gungrabbers think

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/22/fugitives-gun-background-checks/7959529/

WASHINGTON — Millions of fugitives can pass undetected through federal background checks and buy guns illegally because police departments across the country routinely fail to put their names into a national database that tracks people on the run from the law.

Those background checks, conducted by the FBI, are designed to block fugitives, felons, the mentally ill and others who might be violent from buying firearms. They automatically bar sales to anyone identified in federal records as having an outstanding arrest warrant, even if it is for a minor crime.

Yet despite years of attempts to shore up the government's National Instant Background Check System, enormous gaps remain, particularly when it comes to identifying fugitives. In five states alone, law enforcement agencies failed to provide information to the FBI about at least 2.5 million outstanding arrest warrants, police and court records show. Among them are tens of thousands of people wanted for violent offenses and other felonies.

"I remember when I bought my first gun thinking that I could have had a felony warrant for murder and they wouldn't have known," said Kevin Collins, who supervises Michigan's fugitive database for the state police.
(emphasis added)

Let's all contact CSGV and Bloomberg and Mommies Demand Attention and the rest of them and ask them to explain how good their background checks look now.

http://giphy.com/gifs/gifburns-patrick-burnell-gif-shop-14sLraE9VZtFug

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
BR CHK laws mean little if FFLs just refuse to do them .... can they be mandatory? Or are just directory provisions of the law?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
BR CHK laws mean little if FFLs just refuse to do them .... can they be mandatory? Or are just directory provisions of the law?

Dear sweet shivering Shiva on a pogo stick! For the sake of what's left of my sanity, if for no other reason, either put some indication that you are being sarcastic/snarky/stupid at the end of you post or change your signature to indicate that you really, truely are defective/deficient.

BTW - January 19th is fast approaching. Will you be accepting the offer of free transportation, room, and board to come down on Lobby Day to educate our General Asssembly on how things are supposed to be done?

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There are tens of thousands of Capias Warrants issued and withdrawn every day. The system could not even handle that volume.

Does not matter. The antis want to prevent every single disqualified individual from ever gaining legal possession of a firearm. They tell us that background checks are the one sure, one true way to accomplish that goal. Let them explain this gigantic "loophole" in their beloved system.:eek:

Also remember that the background check system depends on local courts reporting information in a timely and accurate manner. Pass a federal law requiring full compliance with the reporting of warrants and other "fugitive from justice" statuses and see your local judges suddenly discover the 10th Amendment immediately after the legislature tells them that even if the judges jail every member of the legislature for both civil and criminal contempt they are not passing a bill to expend the tax dollars necessary to meet the cost of that mandate. (With the possible exception of California which is the only state I am aware of that can legally pass deficit budgets.)

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Dear sweet shivering Shiva on a pogo stick! For the sake of what's left of my sanity, if for no other reason, either put some indication that you are being sarcastic/snarky/stupid at the end of you post or change your signature to indicate that you really, truely are defective/deficient.

BTW - January 19th is fast approaching. Will you be accepting the offer of free transportation, room, and board to come down on Lobby Day to educate our General Asssembly on how things are supposed to be done?

stay safe.

Sorry that you are insane or near it, as you posted. See one of those Obamacare-Kissinger doctors right away!

since9

Campaign Veteran
There was a lot of good in the "old ways." Contrary to popular misconception, the "wild" West wasn't all that wild after all. Most cities eclipse it in terms of crime. Back then, if people got out of line, that would be corrected by the general populace rather quick.

Unfortunately, they corrected pretty much everything, including differences of opinion, through force.

OC for ME

If i hold a difference of opinion regarding real property taxes and refuse to pay, because a tax on property I own and maintain without state (or federal) aid, I'm quite confident that force would be used by the state to address our difference of opinion.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If i hold a difference of opinion regarding real property taxes and refuse to pay, because a tax on property I own and maintain without state (or federal) aid, I'm quite confident that force would be used by the state to address our difference of opinion.

Now, as then, those brutes who come to carry out the predations of the state in order to collect back taxes wait for you to make the first offensive move. But yes, the government will expend magnitude of order more money trying to collect the tax than the actual sum of the tax owed.

Since I and all the other taxpayers must pay for the government to absorb that additional expense, I hold you responsible for the additional taxes we are told to pay.

stay safe.

OC for ME

Now, as then, those brutes who come to carry out the predations of the state in order to collect back taxes wait for you to make the first offensive move. But yes, the government will expend magnitude of order more money trying to collect the tax than the actual sum of the tax owed.

Since I and all the other taxpayers must pay for the government to absorb that additional expense, I hold you responsible for the additional taxes we are told to pay.

stay safe.
You would...then again, I ain't going to the revenuers office to not pay the tax, the revenuer is coming to my land to collect the tax. So, who made the first offensive move?

I thought you, of all folks around here, wudda knowed that...I was mistaken...sorry.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You would...then again, I ain't going to the revenuers office to not pay the tax, the revenuer is coming to my land to collect the tax. So, who made the first offensive move?

I thought you, of all folks around here, wudda knowed that...I was mistaken...sorry.

bagofidiots_zpsad3feccb.jpg

stay safe.