• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Duty to notify??

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So, how about this question? Isn't it possible we do things like this to be nice, and eventually and ultimately it causes us to be more under the thumb of LE?

The answer is yes Joe.
When they say if you have nothing to hide why not cooperate. ..just answer...because I don't have to.

sidestreet

I believe Peter and Joe are correct on this…,

The answer is yes Joe.
When they say if you have nothing to hide why not cooperate. ..just answer...because I don't have to.

I also believe that whenever you are approached by a LEO, and you hear them say something to the effect of MY county, MY highway, MY street, MY whatever, the encounter is not going to end well for you, it then becomes a matter of "damage control", and the less you say and do, will be the best you can say or do, excluding audio/video recordings of course.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

p.s. It was great to finally meet you OVJ, at The Skid's pig picking'! It was a fine one, wasn't it?

user

Accomplished Advocate
Any time I have occasion to speak to law enforcement officers who seem curious about such things, my standard response is, "I prefer not to talk about such things." Bill Clinton's clever turn of phrase, "don't ask, don't tell" applies. Whenever the conversation turns to ownership, possession, or use of firearms, keep in mind the five fingers of your right hand. Look at those fingers and consider that the five fingers represent five consonants: "K Y B M S". (Keep Your Big Mouth Shut). If threatened with or placed under arrest, the only thing you should say is, "I want my lawyer." Keep in mind that no one has to advise you of your rights unless and until you be placed in full custodial arrest, so the usual practice is to interrogate "suspects" before putting them in handcuffs. KYBMS.

If a LEO demands, note I said, "demands", to see your CHP certificate (the permission itself is merely a license, which is by definition intangible - the card is evidence of permission), that's the time you have to display the card and in no other situation. I use my U.S. Passport as the required government issued picture I.D., by the way, unless the cop already has my O.L. because it's a traffic stop. (I don't travel, so I really got the passport so as to get into the U.S. District Courthouses.) If the cop has to ask, or make some expression about what he "needs", that can safely be ignored. Don't let them use the politeness your mom taught you against you - police interaction is not a social call, no matter how sociable they appear to (and may really) be. They would not be talking to you unless The State was considering whether you're a Bad Guy who needs to be punished.

KYBMS. Here endeth the lesson.

Last edited: