• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Firearm License Per 100K in Wisconsin Dismally Low

Law abider

Last edited by a moderator:

davidmcbeth

Banned
No limit on FFLs/person or requirement for any specific minimum.

Another reason / argument against BK chks -- who does them? Could be nobody.

pkbites

No written limit on FFL's. But the feds can create makeshift rules that make it seem that way.

My brother and I have an FFL. During the Clinton administration the BATF tried to make "kitchen table" operators miserable by making all these hoops to jump through in order to keep their license. They were pretty successful at it. At lot of licensees gave up.

One of the things they tried to do was make sure we were complying with local regulations. The feds have no authority over this and we fought them tooth and nail....and won! One factor in our victory though was that we are located in a conservative area and the local municipality didn't have a problem with us selling guns out of a private residence. Everytime the feds tried to pester them about making sure this or that was complied with the locals would tell them "we don't care. They're not doing anything wrong!".

All of this stopped when W became POTUS.

davidmcbeth

Banned
No written limit on FFL's. But the feds can create makeshift rules that make it seem that way.

My brother and I have an FFL. During the Clinton administration the BATF tried to make "kitchen table" operators miserable by making all these hoops to jump through in order to keep their license. They were pretty successful at it. At lot of licensees gave up.

One of the things they tried to do was make sure we were complying with local regulations. The feds have no authority over this and we fought them tooth and nail....and won! One factor in our victory though was that we are located in a conservative area and the local municipality didn't have a problem with us selling guns out of a private residence. Everytime the feds tried to pester them about making sure this or that was complied with the locals would tell them "we don't care. They're not doing anything wrong!".

All of this stopped when W became POTUS.

I recall this time right after the Brady bill passed. I had the ATF threaten me too .. I told them to piss off. But many FFLs in my neighborhood gave up their FFLs.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Many part time dealers gave up their FFLs during that time period for several reasons.

We went from having over 200000 in the country to well less then that

ATF was actively soliciting local government to go after them for zoning and other violations.

My sheriff showed me a letter from ATF with a list of the counties FFLs on it asking him to make sure that they were incompliance with all local laws rules ect.

Guess who's name appeared on the list I asked him what he planned to do he crumbled it up and threw it away and said I don't plan do to any thing with it..

I am sure the same thing happen all over the rural areas and the opposite happen in the anti gun areas.

If one was a small part time dealer it just wasn't worth the hassle and when the law changed allowing ammo reloading components to be shipped to non FFLs a lot of the incentive for having one went away.

Last edited:

Law abider

I have heard those stories too in the past. Here in Prescott the local dealer bought some guns. Mind you he has been in business here for a very Loooong time. But he just didn't do enough digging with the last batch because they turned out to be stolen/ or maybe the ATF had their mini fast and furious to take him out. I don't know. All of a sudden they show up in their Denalis and cuff him and take him out for all to see. I' don't know what happened but he can't buy any more guns and has to sell off his inventory and shut down. The guy didn't even get another chance.