• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greentops and receipts

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This is and is not an OC issue but has been discussed here before.
I dropped by yesterday to discuss some problems Greentops was having which had made their way to the internet and especially Facebook. Mostly I got a song and dance about how they're trying to fix them and it's Sandy Hook's fault....so on.

Anyway, on the way out I saw a new door troll so I decided to ask.

First I asked if he caught anyone shoplifting today (I'm convinced the shoplifting problem is mostly in the minds of the people who bankrupted Circuit City).

He said "Not today".

Then I asked...."What do you do when someone refuses to show you a receipt?.

I was expecting some non existent law or medieval torture tactic, but he looked like he had been coached in the answer. He said....."We'll ban them from the store".

Interesting !

Last edited by a moderator:

scouser

does that mean they're going to start demanding ID on the way in so they can make sure you're not one of those people they've banned ? [/tongue from cheek]

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
does that mean they're going to start demanding ID on the way in so they can make sure you're not one of those people they've banned ? [/tongue from cheek]

I stopped and talked to Donny yesterday. He's not running the show anymore but I sure miss the old days. Everyone was a friend there. Now it reminds me a lot of Walmart.
Thank heaven for Hopkins and the internet.

TFred

I haven't been to Greentop since they moved, so what 3 - 4 years ago? I had no idea they had a receipt checker in place. Is it like the warehouse stores, where a line forms? Or random illegal profiling like Walmart?

There is no commercial business policy I absolutely hate and despise more than receipt checking.

TFred

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Then I asked...."What do you do when someone refuses to show you a receipt?.

I was expecting some non existent law or medieval torture tactic, but he looked like he had been coached in the answer. He said....."We'll ban them from the store".

If you simply say "no thank you" on the way out of the store, I wonder how they "ban" you... perhaps they just yell, "Sir, don't come back!!"

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Interesting !

They may or may not be able to match up my picture at the counter with my picture walking past the door weinie.

But I've got at least a dozen witnesses I promised to pay who will swear 1) it could not have been me 'cause I was with them somewhere else at the time, and 2) it was probably that snake-in-the-grass evil twin brother of mine who keeps swiping my plastic (you know, the card I never use when buying guns, ammo, or certain other categories of "stuff").

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I signed no contract prior to walking in their store - think private membership club. Once I pay for the merchandise, it is my personal property, and I do not take kindly to requests/demands for "Show me your papers!" - it is demeaning, embarrassing, and insulting.

If their internal security measures indicate that someone has concealed merchandise w/o paying for it - then detain them, but do not make me a subject in a witch hunt.

If they don't want me to shop there, I will go to friendlier establishments.

The Truth

Greentop is good for one thing at least... I can OC while I fondle my next prospective firearm before I buy it somewhere else at a much better price.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Greentop is good for one thing at least... I can OC while I fondle my next prospective firearm before I buy it somewhere else at a much better price.

There are circumstances when that stops being a "benefit". Allthough if all you are going there for is to [inappropriate term]-finger the merchandise the receipts policy does not apply, does it?

stay safe.

The Truth

There are circumstances when that stops being a "benefit". Allthough if all you are going there for is to [inappropriate term]-finger the merchandise the receipts policy does not apply, does it?

stay safe.

Nope :)

See what I'm getting at? If you have have no receipt (you didn't give them your money) they can't check your property!

Bass Pro is right down the street and they seem to trust their customers not to be scumbag shoplifters. Prices aren't any better on firearms though.