Thread: Buying a firearm in Washington and you live in Idaho

Buying a firearm in Washington and you live in Idaho

I have a question, My nephew told me this morning that if you live in Idaho that you can't go to say like Spokane and buy a firearm and bring it back to Idaho. Does anyone know the answer to my question?. also you can put this post into it's proper section on the forum...thank you in advance. Carry On

You can only buy a rifle or shotgun, and only from a licensed dealer, when buying out of state, and that assumes the laws of both states do not prohibit it.

So an Idahoan can buy a long gun from a Washington dealer and take it home. He can't buy a handgun at all, unless he is having it shipped to a licensed dealer in his home state. He can't buy anything in CA (unless shipping) because CA laws don't allow it. He can't buy anything from a private party, again unless he has that person ship it to a dealer in his home state.
    Last edited by MAC702; 01-01-2015 at 02:52 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

thanks for the info mac, I just wanted to know because you can't believe about 90% of what my nephew says. I always buy my firearms in Idaho anyways....thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    He can buy a rifle or a shotgun from a private party and the transfer can be done at any FFL that can comply with both the state laws of the state the FFL is in and the state of residence of the buyer. The Idaho resident could attend a gun show in Washington, purchase a rifle or shotgun from a private party and the seller could carry the rifle or shotgun to one of the FFLs on location for transfer.
    Yes, thank you. I forgot one of the options for using the WA FFL.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

He can buy a rifle or a shotgun from a private party and the transfer can be done at any FFL that can comply with both the state laws of the state the FFL is in and the state of residence of the buyer. The Idaho resident could attend a gun show in Washington, purchase a rifle or shotgun from a private party and the seller could carry the rifle or shotgun to one of the FFLs on location for transfer.
    Yep. Any transfer of a firearm where any part of the transaction occurs in Washington must be made through an FFL per I-594.
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

For an Idaho resident buying a firearm in Washington, I-594 did not change anything.
    Probably won't change much for WA residents buying from private parties in WA either. Expect this law to be met with almost total civil disobedience.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"