• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Friendly Banks?

MountainDEWDjv

Hey All!

It has been a while, hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Anyway,

I've had a question puzzling me for a long time now... My Fiance banks at PNC and there are not any gunbuster signs on the doors, and the stickers do not say 'remove firearms'... so I was wondering if anyone here banks at PNC and OC/CC's? I bank with Home Savings and they do not allow firearms and that has been a thorn in my side for a long time as they will NOT budge.

So,

What are some firearm friendly banks? And is it true that PNC is gun friendly??

Wstar425

I OC into River Valley and First Forward a couple of times a month. No issues, was thanked by the manager at RV for carrying. I have no relation or previous experience with them. I walked in OC when I went there to open our accounts, and asked about it while they could see my firearm. No problem at all she told me, and did not seem the least bit bothered by it. I can absolutely say that they all recocognized me there the next time I came in, and they all called me by my first name from the start, and are very friendly. I suppose that's one way to make an impression?

Across the street is Park City Credit Union, where I was told we don't want your money if it comes with a firearm. So, they didn't get it. It's not millions, but more than a couple thousand.

These are Wisconsin banks, your state may be different.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I don't like PNC just because. But, PNC has no policy against carry. AND THERE IS NO FEDERAL OR STATE LAWS DISALLOWING CARRY IN BANKS. Got it.

Just ask the bank their policy. I won't do business with a bank that disallows self protection.

MountainDEWDjv

We have chase, huntington, PNC and some local banks here in my town. So what are the chances of causing mass panic if I carry in to PNC next time Im there with my fiance? :lol:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Just ask the bank their policy.

This part I would not recommend. You are a Free Man, go about your business as you wish. If someone is unhappy with your presence, that, Sir, is not your responsibility. If your presence causes someone extreme unhappiness, they will inform you and you can adjust.
My recommendation is to never ask permission for doing what is legal and right. I interact with people and expect them to interact with me, not my pistol.

Wstar425

We have chase, huntington, PNC and some local banks here in my town. So what are the chances of causing mass panic if I carry in to PNC next time Im there with my fiance? :lol:

I open carry everywhere I go. I have not caused mass panic anywhere, but my wife says she is going to be embarrassed big time if we get thrown out of somewhere. She is usually CC, or not carrying if she is with me. I say I'm not the one to be embarrassed, they should be. As mentioned in several other posts, I figure about 75-80 percent of the people around me never even notice my open carried firearm. (no cite, only my own guestimate.) I've had a couple of people see it and walk away, but nobody has caused a scene. Yes, I know it has happened, but not to me so far.

As far as asking about the gun policy being a good idea or not, I would maybe put a bank into a slightly separate situation than like a restaurant or such.. only beacuse of the time and paperwork involved. I have a choice where I eat, once I put my money in a bank and need to go back there again and again, I guess I would maybe do a little checking ahead of time. Scenario: You put your money in a bank and the next trip in they tell you no firearms. So, then you have to disarm to go back in to get your money again each time? Or, you have to pull it out and start over with another bank. Of course, I would pick a bank with no signs, or whatever your state uses as law, but other than that I did ask about it before I put in all the time and paperwork needed to open a savings and checking account. The wisdom of putting your money in a bank at all might be a topic for another discussion, but that's not what you asked so that isn't what I addressed. I have no issues with what poster directly above me said, and actually agree with him.

I'm not from Ohio, but I thought they were fairly open on gun carry? I suspect most big cities are somewhat different, as you would get a slightly different reaction in Madison or Milwaukee than you would in the woods of Northern Wisconsin.

Last edited:

Chuck!

I OC in PNC quite often in Columbus, doesn't matter what branch
Park National, Huntington, and Chase are also open carry friendly around here.

Fifth/Third and credit unions seem to be the most hard core about forbidding legal carry
The mere fact that you are going in and out of a financial institution makes you more of a target, and I won't do business with a bank that refuses to allow me to protect myself

JustaShooter

The mere fact that you are going in and out of a financial institution makes you more of a target, and I won't do business with a bank that refuses to allow me to protect myself

This, exactly. I changed banks for this very reason, and have OCed into my new bank, Huntington, upon occasion when I have had to go into the various branches.

RT48

When my PNC branch put a a "no guns" sign, I emailed the president of PNC. I received a reply from the chief operating officer apologizing and telling me the sign had been removed. So if the president of PNC is ordering "no guns" signs removed, I'm gonna say PNC is friendly to customers carrying.

MountainDEWDjv

I open carry everywhere I go. I have not caused mass panic anywhere, but my wife says she is going to be embarrassed big time if we get thrown out of somewhere. She is usually CC, or not carrying if she is with me. I say I'm not the one to be embarrassed, they should be. As mentioned in several other posts, I figure about 75-80 percent of the people around me never even notice my open carried firearm. (no cite, only my own guestimate.) I've had a couple of people see it and walk away, but nobody has caused a scene. Yes, I know it has happened, but not to me so far.

As far as asking about the gun policy being a good idea or not, I would maybe put a bank into a slightly separate situation than like a restaurant or such.. only beacuse of the time and paperwork involved. I have a choice where I eat, once I put my money in a bank and need to go back there again and again, I guess I would maybe do a little checking ahead of time. Scenario: You put your money in a bank and the next trip in they tell you no firearms. So, then you have to disarm to go back in to get your money again each time? Or, you have to pull it out and start over with another bank. Of course, I would pick a bank with no signs, or whatever your state uses as law, but other than that I did ask about it before I put in all the time and paperwork needed to open a savings and checking account. The wisdom of putting your money in a bank at all might be a topic for another discussion, but that's not what you asked so that isn't what I addressed. I have no issues with what poster directly above me said, and actually agree with him.

I'm not from Ohio, but I thought they were fairly open on gun carry? I suspect most big cities are somewhat different, as you would get a slightly different reaction in Madison or Milwaukee than you would in the woods of Northern Wisconsin.

I was joking... hence the :lol: face :banana:

MountainDEWDjv

Anyway, thanks for the information everyone! I am probably going to end up switching my banking to PNC... after a trial run of carrying at our local branch, that is.. lol. It just pains me to say goodbye to the girls at my current bank... they are so friendly.. but they **** on my right to carry sooooooo :cuss:

rightwinglibertarian

I don't like PNC just because. But, PNC has no policy against carry. AND THERE IS NO FEDERAL OR STATE LAWS DISALLOWING CARRY IN BANKS. Got it.

Just ask the bank their policy. I won't do business with a bank that disallows self protection.

This part I would not recommend. You are a Free Man, go about your business as you wish. If someone is unhappy with your presence, that, Sir, is not your responsibility. If your presence causes someone extreme unhappiness, they will inform you and you can adjust.
My recommendation is to never ask permission for doing what is legal and right. I interact with people and expect them to interact with me, not my pistol.

Agreed. Look for signs and if there are none OC anyway. I'd even OC in a place people say are anti-carry, provided there is no sign or you will either get trespassed or if signs have the force of law in Ohio, potentially arrested.

I don't know if it's national but Keybank seems to be OC friendly

3FULLMAGS+1

As for credit unions normally being anti, the Brewster Federal credit union, (Brewster, Ohio) changed their policy against carry when they found out three customers were going to close their accounts because of it and I found out who two of them were and talked to one of the bank board members who attends my church and the policy against carry was changed.

guess it depends on who you know or how much they think it'll cost 'em!

samkent

I bank at PNC.
They actually have a wide range of policies.
Officialy they have no policy. But branchwise they do.

My local branch doesn't care unless Barny Fife is on duty that day.
He will ask you to leave it in the car.

Another branch (with security doors) with a Barney told me all he asks is to show my permit while inside the double doors.

A third branch with security doors and a metal detector (no Barney) will not allow you inside if the alarm goes off.

I guess it comes down to the neighborhood the branch is located.
Ironic that the places you need the protection the most are the ones that prevent carry.

3FULLMAGS+1

I bank at PNC.
They actually have a wide range of policies.
Officialy they have no policy. But branchwise they do.

My local branch doesn't care unless Barny Fife is on duty that day.
He will ask you to leave it in the car.

Another branch (with security doors) with a Barney told me all he asks is to show my permit while inside the double doors.

A third branch with security doors and a metal detector (no Barney) will not allow you inside if the alarm goes off.

I guess it comes down to the neighborhood the branch is located.
Ironic that the places you need the protection the most are the ones that prevent carry.

And you still bank there???......we're ALL wanting to know why!

But then I live in an area (three surrounding towns), with no anti-carry banks OR Credit Unions.....but not without a "little" persuation from more than a few of their customers!

The one, (Apple Creek bank) has been robbed at least twice and they still allow carry.

Werz

I openly carry a handgun into my bank. Nobody has ever said anything. But as I have said many times before, they usually notice the chip on your shoulder before they notice the handgun on your hip.

samkent

And you still bank there???......we're ALL wanting to know why!
Because banking plays a bigger part of my life than the 5 minutes of leaving my gun in the car.

Troy bilt

I switched banks about a year or so ago because of firearm policies.

My new bank Erie Community Federal Credit Union use to post. After there Huron branch was robbed and a the robber blasted off a shot in the bank they have seen how well those signs work.

I OC there now every time I go.