Thread: NY Gov. sued by veteran cop after insomnia treatment prompts gun confiscation

NY Gov. sued by veteran cop after insomnia treatment prompts gun confiscation

A U.S. Navy veteran and retired police detective is suing New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and other state officials for confiscating his gun permit and four handguns after he voluntarily sought medical treatment for insomnia.

Four days after leaving the hospital, New York State police informed the Suffolk County clerk’s office that Mr. Montgomery had been determined to be a mental defective and was prohibited from owning any firearms.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/250931668/...v-Cuomo#scribd

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...somnia-treatm/

http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/02/ve...-for-insomnia/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    He likely supported the laws ... sucks to be him.

He should be in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    He likely supported the laws ....
    That thought hadn't occurred to me, and I'd bet you are right.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I can't really imagine that you'd sit in a hospital for four days with insomnia unless there is more to the story. I think there's more to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    I can't really imagine that you'd sit in a hospital for four days with insomnia unless there is more to the story. I think there's more to the story.
    I've personally had to deal with long bouts of insomnia. Some as long as 5+ days and required medication to force me to actually sleep. It's been proven that being awake for 17-19 hours or more has the same effect on a person as being drunk.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1739867/

RESULTS—After 17-19 hours without sleep, corresponding to 2230 and 0100, performance on some tests was equivalent or worse than that at a BAC of 0.05%. Response speeds were up to 50% slower for some tests and accuracy measures were significantly poorer than at this level of alcohol. After longer periods without sleep, performance reached levels equivalent to the maximum alcohol dose given to subjects (BAC of 0.1%).
    CONCLUSIONS—These findings reinforce the evidence that the fatigue of sleep deprivation is an important factor likely to compromise performance of speed and accuracy of the kind needed for safety on the road and in other industrial settings.
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

Right, but I don't check myself into the hospital because I'm drunk.

So why was he in the hospital for 4 days?

Because if after 24 hours of no sleep, you might as well be dealing with .08 BAL, 4 days of no sleep is a major medical issue that needs medical attention.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/condit...nt-sleep-days/

Extreme sleep deprivation can cause a whole host of mental and physical effects. Most important of them include hallucinations, delusions, cognitive impairment, heart attack, stroke and what's known as "micro-sleeps" which is where you fall asleep without your knowledge for only seconds or minutes at a time (like blacking out).

More then likely, the mental effects of sleep deprivation are what the .gov latched onto in order to rip this guy's rights away which is complete BS.

Several days after his first doctor’s visit, Mr. Montgomery went to the emergency room at Eastern Long Island Hospital, still suffering from insomnia. He was diagnosed with depression and insomnia, prescribed medication and told to follow up with a doctor if symptoms did not improve, The Daily Caller reported.

On May 23, Mr. Montgomery was back in the doctor’s office with the same complaint and was monitored at the facility for 48 hours.

Now Mr. Montgomery is alleging in the suit that hospital staff mistakenly listed him as an involuntarily admitted patient, which triggered a portion of the SAFE Act that requires health professionals to report individuals who are deemed threats to themselves or to others according to mental health directors, the Daily Caller reported.

That notification is then reported to the department of criminal justice services.

But Mr. Montgomery’s suit claims that there is no documentation that he was diagnosed with mental health issues.

He was labeled as “mildly depressed,” but “insight, judgment, and impulse control are good,” the assessment reads, The Daily Caller reported.

Four days after leaving the hospital, New York State police informed the Suffolk County clerk’s office that Mr. Montgomery had been determined to be a mental defective and was prohibited from owning any firearms.
    He likely supported the laws ... sucks to be him.

He should be in jail.
    Actually, he had just moved to New York in order to be closer to family. So it's not likely that he had voted one way or the other on this.
    Last edited by Grim_Night; 01-04-2015 at 09:49 AM.

Sleep deprivation is a interrogation technique. Used to place the detainee in a reduced mental acuity state so as to be more agreeable to commands or suggestions...very effective.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

The answer to my question was he didn't spend four days in a hospital. I misread the OP.

I know the effects of long term sleep deprivation. I went 7 days when I was 18 to see what it was like.

I also suffer sleep disorders, which made it easier for me to conduct my little experiment.

He spent 2 days in the hospital, being observed. That makes much more sense.

Further he alleges the issue was a clerical error on the hospital's part, which also makes sense.

More to the story.

All of that was probably in the linked articles, but I can't read them because I'm on dial up. Most websites are flat out inaccessible for me. I only use things like Tapatalk since it only loads text, making it easier for my connection to handle.

Anyway, thanks Grim for quoting the article. It made everything so much clearer.

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    This is a classic example of why permits should never be required or issues

Four days after leaving the hospital, New York State police sent a letter to the Suffolk County clerk’s office stating “has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution” and that he was prohibited from possessing any firearms.
    Unless he's been convicted of a crime then the letter is not worth the paper it's written on. May this suit be one of many that rules the (un)SAFE Act illegal as it always was.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    This is a classic example of why permits should never be required or issues

Unless he's been convicted of a crime then the letter is not worth the paper it's written on. May this suit be one of many that rules the (un)SAFE Act illegal as it always was.
    Well, he just handed over his guns to them, proving that he was indeed crazy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Much as it pains me to agree with this person, in this first part, I do agree.

HOWEVER, why would you castigate this man? He is the one that has been wronged by a highly corrupt and flawed system. He hasn't actually done anything wrong, even IF he did support the flawed NYS system.

Not a good idea David.
    Since he supported these laws....he should be in jail- for treason

Since he supported these laws....he should be in jail- for treason
    Again, how did a man who just moved into the state with his family support the laws that got him into trouble?

1. New York's (un)SAFE act was signed into law by Cuomo Jan. 2013.
    2. Mr. Montgomery moved to New York state from a different state shortly before May 6th 2014 in order to be closer to family.

People are making assumptions about this man without any supporting facts.

How did this man support an unjust law when he wasn't even a resident of the state at the time of it's enactment?
    Last edited by Grim_Night; 01-05-2015 at 12:52 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Night View Post
    Again, how did a man who just moved into the state with his family support the laws that got him into trouble?

1. New York's (un)SAFE act was signed into law by Cuomo Jan. 2013.
    2. Mr. Montgomery moved to New York state from a different state shortly before May 6th 2014 in order to be closer to family.

People are making assumptions about this man without any supporting facts.

How did this man support an unjust law when he wasn't even a resident of the state at the time of it's enactment?
    see p 145 of the complaint - he lived in the state, just moved from one location to another.

GUILTY of treason is my verdict ... appealed to my cat ... cat confirmed conviction.

The effect is LIKE being drunk, as in seriously impaired.

Severe insomnia is a horrendous mental and physical challenge just to get through basic daily life. THAT's why he checked himself in.

My experience with insomnia and the medicos revealed most docs and mental health people haven't the slightest freakin' clue as to how best to treat the insomnia.

I do:

1. Medicate (many are available)
    2. Get on a consistent schedule. This requires the full, unwaivering support of friends, family, and your boss.
    3. Get plenty of exercise each and every day.
    4. Hydrate and eat well. No alcohol (screws up insomnia something fierce).
    5. Maintain this routine for at least three weeks ever you're settled into it and getting decent sleep.
    6. Very slowly (1 to 2 weeks) wean off the meds, but leave the other elements in place.

If I ever meet up with the flight surgeon who royally screwed up my last couple of years in the Air Force, I WILL punch him in the nose for being such a brain-dead blithering idiot. You don't play around with what you don't know. Leave it to the professionals.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Uggh! Conventional wisdom.

The conventional wisdom brayed here is that insomnia is analogous to inebriation as a rationale to disarm someone else. Tsk tsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    The conventional wisdom brayed here is that insomnia is analogous to inebriation as a rationale to disarm someone else. Tsk tsk.
    Should be the owner's choice, not the government's.

And you shouldn't "tsk tsk" someone without having properly ascertained where they're coming from, Nightmare. You know better than that.
    Last edited by since9; 01-06-2015 at 12:58 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

A special pleading is a fallacious argument.

He knew the politics of NY state, he had a choice. Vote the bums out, or move out, or never go there in the first place.

Unless they want our sympathy New Yorkers act like they are not part of the country anyway.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Banned

Not unless its a bar called "hospital" ... they got the cure for what ails ya...

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Well, he just handed over his guns to them, proving that he was indeed crazy.
    Well...... I don't know. He could play hardball and then have SWAT raid his house. Sure, he could maybe defend his property from a couple of people trying to rob him of his guns but not SWAT. Not unless he had a major Militia on standby
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    Well...... I don't know. He could play hardball and then have SWAT raid his house. Sure, he could maybe defend his property from a couple of people trying to rob him of his guns but not SWAT. Not unless he had a major Militia on standby
    SWAT is full of heroes when they raid gov't section 8 housing at 5am of some drug-head mother and 10 kids in cribs -- rushing in the morning tossing in their smokey and flash bangs.

Not so much when they deal with a ready and sober freedom loving person.

My state po po threatened to send a SWAT team to my house ... when I informed them that many would die attempting to breach my land and dwelling they thought maybe it would be a bad idea and cancelled their party. Of course, they had no legal right to enter my land ~~ why die when you are in the wrong I figure was their mentality. No heroes visited me...I was saddened by their flip-flop.

SWAT is full of heroes when they raid gov't section 8 housing at 5am of some drug-head mother and 10 kids in cribs -- rushing in the morning tossing in their smokey and flash bangs.

Not so much when they deal with a ready and sober freedom loving person.

My state po po threatened to send a SWAT team to my house ... when I informed them that many would die attempting to breach my land and dwelling they thought maybe it would be a bad idea and cancelled their party. Of course, they had no legal right to enter my land ~~ why die when you are in the wrong I figure was their mentality. No heroes visited me...I was saddened by their flip-flop.
    Do you have any bridges or swamp land for sale?
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Do you have any bridges or swamp land for sale?
    Well, I drove through NY and got insomnia ... who do I sue for that?