Thread: 2015 House Speaker election

2015 House Speaker election

10 days, right? I guess technically 9 for Texans. Does Turner have any chance at all? How many of the Republican members of the Texas House are Farmers Branch Republicans?

If this article is anything to go by, I'm sorry you won't be getting open carry in Texas this session.

Contact your Republican House Rep and insist upon Scott Turner to replace Joe Straus as Speaker.

Mine will no doubt refuse..(Diane Patrick-RINO)...but I will appeal to her higher motives nonetheless.
    "Extremism ALWAYS brings about its own destruction " ( Sir Edmund Burke)

Jim Sherwood

"With the backing of 85 percent of the Texas House, San Antonio Republican Joe Straus on Tuesday was re-elected to his fourth term."

Texas Republicans have given Joe Straus a mandate to be even more of what he's always been: a self-serving statist who gives favors to Democrats. I know a lot of Republican state congresspeople have made big, bold statements about OC in 2015, but what actual evidence is there that anything will be different this session?

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    "With the backing of 85 percent of the Texas House, San Antonio Republican Joe Straus on Tuesday was re-elected to his fourth term."

Texas Republicans have given Joe Straus a mandate to be even more of what he's always been: a self-serving statist who gives favors to Democrats. I know a lot of Republican state congresspeople have made big, bold statements about OC in 2015, but what actual evidence is there that anything will be different this session?
    More has been done leading up to this session on every front as far as I can tell. There's been a huge activist effort sweeping from border to border (and Texas is a big place), there have been numerous OC bills filed, numerous reps making it a priority (by talking about it, press releases about it, filing bills for it, openly supporting it), constant publicity on state and local levels, constitutional carry was officially adopted as a legislative priority in the Republican platform, etc. Heck, Greg Abbott even signed a copy of HB195. Going into this session, we are in a much better position to pass OC than we've been in past sessions, I am confident.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 01-20-2015 at 10:13 PM. Reason: file not fill, lol
    Advocate freedom please

I hope it happens. I also hope there's a contingency plan for 2017. Joe Straus isn't going to change his tune suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    I hope it happens. I also hope there's a contingency plan for 2017. Joe Straus isn't going to change his tune suddenly.
    Advocate freedom please

I keep looking on the Texas Legislature website and it looks like everything is standing still. Does anyone have any idea when it will hit the floor, or be referred to a commitee. All of the calenders are blank too.

I think they have to do stuff like assign people to committees, then assign bills to committees, and then the committees have to schedule stuff for the bills? I'm not 100% sure of the whole process, start to finish. But, I guess I'm just saying, apparently it takes a little while to get the ball rolling.
    Advocate freedom please

Ok, I guess so too. I have watched both of the House and Senate videos today, and they both passed resolutions to adjurn until Monday at 10 A.M. for the House. 2 P.M. for the Senate.