Thread: Q. Law specificity - 'may not carry a pistol in _____ caliber."

Q. Law specificity - 'may not carry a pistol in _____ caliber."

On another forum, someone is asking if LA prohibits the carrying of pistols chambered in 'rifle' calibers. Specifically they said that they heard (friend of a friend's friend) that carrying a FN FiveSeven pistol was prohibited because the 5.7x28 round was a 'rifle caliber'.

This would come as shocking news to me, so I thought I'd better ask the state experts.

Aaahhhh, the friend of a friend legal advise. That's almost as good as the some guy on a gun forum on the internet legal advise.
    My thought is, La doesn't have a law against carrying rifles or other long arms. Why would they have a law against carrying a pistol in a "rifle caliber", whatever that is? Is a 9mm a "rifle caliber"? Because I know people with 9mm pistols and 9mm rifles. I know people who own .357/38 Special rifles and revolvers. I know some who have .22 caliber rifles and .22 cal pistols.
    My policy is, if anyone is going to tell me that there is a law against me doing something that person is obligated to cite that law to back up his claim.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    On another forum, someone is asking if LA prohibits the carrying of pistols chambered in 'rifle' calibers. Specifically they said that they heard (friend of a friend's friend) that carrying a FN FiveSeven pistol was prohibited because the 5.7x28 round was a 'rifle caliber'.

This would come as shocking news to me, so I thought I'd better ask the state experts.
    It would come as a shock to me too. It's likely that this is a rumor in the making.

If I were a cop I would not carry a 5-7. I'd probably carry 10mm, maybe .40 S&W if I were around a lot of people all day.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

I'm callin' BS until someone gives me a cite of the law that prohibits it myself!

My 9mm pistol caliber rifle:

I also had one of these:

AND this one as well!:
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeroHog View Post
    I'm callin' BS until someone gives me a cite of the law that prohibits it myself!

My 9mm pistol caliber rifle:

I also had one of these:

AND this one as well!:

Weren't those the ones you had before that tragic boating accident on one dark and stormy night.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Law is too vague.