Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Forbes lists DC second of gun friendly states

  1. #1
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213

    Forbes lists DC second of gun friendly states

    Have they lost thier mind? http://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmcc...s-infographic/

    Sent using Tapatalk
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



  2. #2
    Regular Member Shovelhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NO VA, ,
    Posts
    355
    DC is number 2 in the list of gun "friendly" in the US?
    Need......more.......duct......tape.........
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,148

    Not another gerbil!

    Ahh ... District of Columbia is NOT a state.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  4. #4
    Activist Member JamesCanby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Have they lost thier mind? http://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmcc...s-infographic/

    Sent using Tapatalk
    Calling DC the 2nd-most gun friendly state is sheer insanity, and statistical cherry-picking at its worst! I suspect that the high number of firearms per capita is a function of how many armed security people live in DC whose job it is to protect "the Ones." Chief Lanier has made it virtually impossible for normal, regular, law-abiding citizens to obtain or possess a firearm.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

  5. #5
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586
    The article seems to focus on sates with "Registered Guns".

    So states that don't require registration are "Gun Unfriendly"?
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  6. #6
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,270
    Uh...it's Forbes.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Ahh ... District of Columbia is NOT a state.
    What? Such insolence ... you will be assimilated into the Borg collective.

  8. #8
    Activist Member swinokur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montgomery County, MD
    Posts
    984
    They have obviously never been arrested for having an empty shell casing in their trunk. no gun, just empty brass.

  9. #9
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    They have obviously never been arrested for having an empty shell casing in their trunk. no gun, just empty brass.


    OC for ME has it right.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    A prime example of a bad 'study' made possible by bad data.
    Very few states register firearms, so I'm left to wonder where that little statistic even comes from.

    I think any reasonable person could see the flaw in publishing a study on how safe states were for drivers by only gathering the number of licensed drivers and ignoring the facts that just having a driver's license in somewhere like NYC doesn't mean the possessor even drives. Nor would it take into the fact the circumstance of a state where the average driver only travels 10-12k miles/year as opposed to a state where drivers travel 15-20k/year.

    Bad data leads to bad results, this being a prime example.

  11. #11
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Which states require gun registration? ...just so I know where never to live...
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Which states require gun registration? ...just so I know where never to live...
    Let's just start the list with California, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina kinda-sorta because of purchase permits, and Massachusetts. Using these clues you should be able to complete the list without resorting to Google.

    I'm rather happy to see Virginia at #5 on that list, as Virginia only registers machine guns. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-295

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stuarts Draft, Virginia
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    The article seems to focus on sates with "Registered Guns".

    So states that don't require registration are "Gun Unfriendly"?
    Since Virginia doesn't have gun registration I don't know where they got their information. Maybe it's made up? Don't need to confuse people with pesky facts and such.

  14. #14
    Regular Member BillB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverhound View Post
    Since Virginia doesn't have gun registration...
    Actually VA does have gun registration.

    § 18.2-295. Registration of machine guns.

    Every machine gun in this Commonwealth shall be registered with the Department of State Police within twenty-four hours after its acquisition or, in the case of semi-automatic weapons which are converted, modified or otherwise altered to become machine guns, within twenty-four hours of the conversion, modification or alteration.
    Open carry lets you tote a bigger gun.

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    Actually VA does have gun registration.
    Chopped liver. That's what I am - chopped liver!

    2 hours previously:

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Let's just start the list with California, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina kinda-sorta because of purchase permits, and Massachusetts. Using these clues you should be able to complete the list without resorting to Google.

    I'm rather happy to see Virginia at #5 on that list, as Virginia only registers machine guns. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-295

    stay safe.


    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Register like I did ... tell them its none of their business. Registration complete.

  17. #17
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Have they lost thier mind? http://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmcc...s-infographic/

    Sent using Tapatalk
    Looks like Forbes pulled down the link - can still find the info graphic using a google search
    http://blogs-images.forbes.com/niall...05_Guns_Fo.jpg

    See the credit for the info graphic is Bloomberg....
    Last edited by HPmatt; 01-05-2015 at 09:59 PM.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  18. #18
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Looks like Forbes pulled down the link - can still find the info graphic using a google search
    http://blogs-images.forbes.com/niall...05_Guns_Fo.jpg

    See the credit for the info graphic is Bloomberg....
    Wowzers.

    Did skidmark say something btw?
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Wowzers.

    Did skidmark say something btw?
    Why does everybody always seem to think I'm to blame?

    Well, at least when they are not treating me like chopped liver.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  20. #20
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Looks like OCDO Scooped Wa Times:

    http://www.commdiginews.com/politics...on-guns-32901/
    Emily Miller must be lurking....[emoji1]


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  21. #21
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Looks like OCDO Scooped Wa Times:

    http://www.commdiginews.com/politics...on-guns-32901/
    Emily Miller must be lurking....[emoji1]
    Emily Miller is a registered user/member on OCDO - Only has one post, but is sure to read here frequently.

    She is one of our scheduled speakers on Lobby Day, Jan 19th at our General Assembly Building.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stuarts Draft, Virginia
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    Actually VA does have gun registration.
    So now it makes sense why VA is so high on that list! Since machine guns are registered in VA that must be all the guns in VA!
    I wonder what the number of actual registered guns in Virginia is?

  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverhound View Post
    So now it makes sense why VA is so high on that list! Since machine guns are registered in VA that must be all the guns in VA!
    I wonder what the number of actual registered guns in Virginia is?
    Excellent question

    I'm looking into that and will report back any findings - FOIA just sent to VSP Transaction Center re Class III, full auto or select fire.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  24. #24
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602

    Fast response

    Quote Originally Posted by Roverhound View Post
    So now it makes sense why VA is so high on that list! Since machine guns are registered in VA that must be all the guns in VA!
    I wonder what the number of actual registered guns in Virginia is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Excellent question

    I'm looking into that and will report back any findings - FOIA just sent to VSP Transaction Center re Class III, full auto or select fire.
    Dear Mr. Xxxxx,

    This information is provided pursuant to your request under the provisions of the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.

    As of this date, the total number of machine guns registered with this Agency is 10,265.

    Sincerely,

    Donna K. Tate, Manager
    Firearms Transaction Center
    Department of State Police
    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  25. #25
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Interesting!
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •