• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forbes lists DC second of gun friendly states

Shovelhead

DC is number 2 in the list of gun "friendly" in the US?
Need......more.......duct......tape.........

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

Calling DC the 2nd-most gun friendly state is sheer insanity, and statistical cherry-picking at its worst! I suspect that the high number of firearms per capita is a function of how many armed security people live in DC whose job it is to protect "the Ones." Chief Lanier has made it virtually impossible for normal, regular, law-abiding citizens to obtain or possess a firearm.

Fallschirjmäger

A prime example of a bad 'study' made possible by bad data.
Very few states register firearms, so I'm left to wonder where that little statistic even comes from.

I think any reasonable person could see the flaw in publishing a study on how safe states were for drivers by only gathering the number of licensed drivers and ignoring the facts that just having a driver's license in somewhere like NYC doesn't mean the possessor even drives. Nor would it take into the fact the circumstance of a state where the average driver only travels 10-12k miles/year as opposed to a state where drivers travel 15-20k/year.

Bad data leads to bad results, this being a prime example.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Which states require gun registration? ...just so I know where never to live...

Let's just start the list with California, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina kinda-sorta because of purchase permits, and Massachusetts. Using these clues you should be able to complete the list without resorting to Google.

I'm rather happy to see Virginia at #5 on that list, as Virginia only registers machine guns.:lol: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-295

stay safe.

Roverhound

The article seems to focus on sates with "Registered Guns".

So states that don't require registration are "Gun Unfriendly"?

Since Virginia doesn't have gun registration I don't know where they got their information. Maybe it's made up? Don't need to confuse people with pesky facts and such.

BillB

Since Virginia doesn't have gun registration...

Actually VA does have gun registration.

§ 18.2-295. Registration of machine guns.

Every machine gun in this Commonwealth shall be registered with the Department of State Police within twenty-four hours after its acquisition or, in the case of semi-automatic weapons which are converted, modified or otherwise altered to become machine guns, within twenty-four hours of the conversion, modification or alteration.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Actually VA does have gun registration.

Chopped liver. That's what I am - chopped liver!

2 hours previously:

Let's just start the list with California, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina kinda-sorta because of purchase permits, and Massachusetts. Using these clues you should be able to complete the list without resorting to Google.

I'm rather happy to see Virginia at #5 on that list, as Virginia only registers machine guns.:lol: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-295

stay safe.

:p

stay safe.

HPmatt

Last edited: