Thread: Gun Rights Versus Anecdotes

Gun Rights Versus Anecdotes

Gun Rights Versus Anecdotes

Which side wins depends on whether one can reason or simply react emotionally.

For a while back in the Winter, a retired philosophy professor (who wants to remain anonymous) and I exchanged a few emails and, from him, snail mail, discussing gun rights. After not hearing from him for several months he very unexpectedly mailed me a large envelope containing forty-nine newspaper clippings with many reports of shootings and a few anti-gun rights op-eds (and, strangely, a pro-gun op-ed by John Lott). He also included a fund raising letter from the Brady Campaign, another one from the Children's Defense Fund Action Counsel, a magazine ad from the Center to Prevent Handgun Violence, and a hand written note. Especially surprising for their absence were any articles from scholarly source. Are there no scholarly articles in favor of gun control? He sent almost all anecdotes from mass media sources leaning heavily towards the New York Times and the Philadelphia Inquirer. One would expect better from university professor.

Read the rest at http://www.theinternationallibertari...anecdotes.html

Banned
    Those who can do, do. Those that cannot, teach.

You should have said that in response to the need to defend children you went out and got a firearm and got training and now you carry daily and will protect your own children and stand up for the protection of other people by promoting pro-self-defense organizations, thank you for raising my awareness to the need to defend one's self.

I'm not really being sarcastic. If children are in danger by gun-wielding thugs, we owe it to them to do our part, and we must bear arms to protect our children. It's funny how their own literature can work against them when you read it at face value.

those that cannot teach, administrate.

those that cannot administrate, govern.

The only "opinion piece" that matters is the below.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1521.pdf

Arbitrary dismissal of anti-gun opinion must occur. I do not debate "gun control" because this gives the anti-gun position legitimacy...it deserves no such privilege.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare