• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Rights Versus Anecdotes

darrenlobo

Gun Rights Versus Anecdotes

Which side wins depends on whether one can reason or simply react emotionally.

For a while back in the Winter, a retired philosophy professor (who wants to remain anonymous) and I exchanged a few emails and, from him, snail mail, discussing gun rights. After not hearing from him for several months he very unexpectedly mailed me a large envelope containing forty-nine newspaper clippings with many reports of shootings and a few anti-gun rights op-eds (and, strangely, a pro-gun op-ed by John Lott). He also included a fund raising letter from the Brady Campaign, another one from the Children's Defense Fund Action Counsel, a magazine ad from the Center to Prevent Handgun Violence, and a hand written note. Especially surprising for their absence were any articles from scholarly source. Are there no scholarly articles in favor of gun control? He sent almost all anecdotes from mass media sources leaning heavily towards the New York Times and the Philadelphia Inquirer. One would expect better from university professor.

Read the rest at http://www.theinternationallibertarian.blogspot.com/2015/01/gun-rights-versus-anecdotes.html

Maverick9

You should have said that in response to the need to defend children you went out and got a firearm and got training and now you carry daily and will protect your own children and stand up for the protection of other people by promoting pro-self-defense organizations, thank you for raising my awareness to the need to defend one's self.

I'm not really being sarcastic. If children are in danger by gun-wielding thugs, we owe it to them to do our part, and we must bear arms to protect our children. It's funny how their own literature can work against them when you read it at face value.