• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You can tase some of the people some of the time ...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Only fired? Too bad the common man doesn't face such trivial punishment for stuff like that.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Only fired? Too bad the common man doesn't face such trivial punishment for stuff like that.

Being fired is the set-up for a prima facie civil suit. These things have certain steps and you need to follow them.

stay safe.

OC for ME

It always amazes me, and I am easily amazed sometimes, that suing a unemployed cop is now a acceptable redress of wrongs to some folks. The cop shop "did the right thing" and sacked the "acted thuggishly" cop...so, the cop shop is now off the hook...no? The cop shop seems to indicate that the "acted thuggishly" cop made some poor career choices and yet criminal charges are somehow not warranted...oh-kaye.:rolleyes:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Being fired is the set-up for a prima facie civil suit. These things have certain steps and you need to follow them.

I'm not as much interested in the civil suit, which is not likely to be against the individual anyway.

I'm interested in criminal charges.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It always amazes me, and I am easily amazed sometimes, that suing a unemployed cop is now a acceptable redress of wrongs to some folks. The cop shop "did the right thing" and sacked the "acted thuggishly" cop...so, the cop shop is now off the hook...no? The cop shop seems to indicate that the "acted thuggishly" cop made some poor career choices and yet criminal charges are somehow not warranted...oh-kaye.:rolleyes:

What makes you think the civil suit is going to be against the unemployed cop? Respondent superior is a wonderful notion when you are not on the receiving end of it.

With a good tile crawler the termination is as good as a confession of failure to train and failure to supervise. Each of those is gross negligence.

stay safe.

OC for ME

What makes you think the civil suit is going to be against the unemployed cop? Respondent superior is a wonderful notion when you are not on the receiving end of it.

With a good tile crawler the termination is as good as a confession of failure to train and failure to supervise. Each of those is gross negligence.

stay safe.
What makes you think the that his former LEA will be the focus of a civil suit? It is not too far fetched that the LEA will produce documentation that shows that the LEA had been working to address this cop's on the job behavior and sub-standard job performance. As a result, a group of reasonable citizens will conclude, obviously, that the LEA did all that they could reasonably do to address the wayward employee's sub standard performance and unruly behavior.

Why did he retain his job for so long if he was such a "problem child" we might ask...well, we are all about helping our fellow citizens, the LEA may argue, and not just kicking them to the curb for every little infraction, which would be cruel and heartless, the LEA may argue. We had good intentions, the LEA might claim.

We shall see.

OC for ME

What makes you think the that his former LEA will be the focus of a civil suit? It is not too far fetched that the LEA will produce documentation that shows that the LEA had been working to address this cop's on the job behavior and sub-standard job performance. As a result, a group of reasonable citizens will conclude, obviously, that the LEA did all that they could reasonably do to address the wayward employee's sub standard performance and unruly behavior.

Why did he retain his job for so long if he was such a "problem child" we might ask...well, we are all about helping our fellow citizens, the LEA may argue, and not just kicking them to the curb for every little infraction, which would be cruel and heartless, the LEA may argue. We had good intentions, the LEA might claim.

We shall see.
http://www.dailyprogress.com/starex...cle_2f8542e6-82c9-11e3-bee7-0019bb30f31a.html

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

We shall see.

Either he was a problem child and should have been sent back for necessary training, instruction and assessment and then placed onprobation to monitor that the training and instruction had taken root, or he woke up that day and "just snapped".

However, his record indicates that he was known to be a problem child. The record does not indicate that his department and/or the town took appropriate and sufficient action.

Yes, even your HR department will explain why "appropriate and sufficient" action is rarely applied. They'll probably tell you why down to the penny.

Does not remove or relieve responsibility and therefore liability.

Which proves exactly what? Other than the town and PD agreed to pay to make the civil suit go away and the family agreed to take the money offered?

There are two reasons to offer a settlement: it is cheaper than going through a trial and paying what would likely be more, as well as costs and expenses; or it is cheaper to make a pest go away than to go to trial, beat them, and get a judgement that will never be paid.

Settlements are the plea agreements of civil litigation. No real justice happens, but it does unclog the court's docket.

stay safe.