Thread: VA raises concerns about gun registry with offer of free gun locks

VA raises concerns about gun registry with offer of free gun locks

The Department of Veterans Affairs is offering free gun locks to veterans if they provide details on the number of guns they own and their home address, raising concerns about a government-run gun registry.

Some veterans have received a form letter in recent days from the VA offering gun locks if they return a completed form listing their name, address and number of guns in the home.

“As your partner in healthcare, we are committed to keeping you and your family safe,” states the letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Washington Times. “Gun locks have been shown to greatly reduce death and injury caused by firearms in the home. If you own a gun, we hope you will request and use a gun lock.”
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-gun-registry/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

How many will take advantage of this offer.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    Another link showing actual letter sent out..

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/vete...-send-gunlocks

Someone should FOIA them for the records received .. see how many idiots got their "free locks"

Thanks to the DoJ's Byrne Grants, local LEAs give out free gun locks for the asking. They do not want to know if you even have guns, let alone how many or what types.

About once a month I drop by the local cop shop, OCing both blatantly and ostentatiously, and ask the desk officer for a gun lock. Once they claimed to be out but offered to take my name, address, and phone number so they could let me know when more locks came in. I thanked them for the offer but said I would stop by again in a while to see if they had gotten more. Easier for vets (and everybody else) to get to the cop shop than to the VAMC.

I really like to spiral "cable" locks Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GunLock.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	12313 ("Project Child Safe - Not for Sale") so I can show folks how to break the "cable" with bare hands just by flattening the loop and squeezing.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Campaign Veteran
    I think the VA should be "raising concerns" about "security" at its medical facilities, such as the one presently in the news: According to info so far, the murder/suicide @ the VAMC in El Paso, TX.

"Gun locks" didn't help the doctor there, neither did any VA armed security. And neither do either (!) of those 2 things keep the rest of us (veterans) safe there, as it's just another Federal Property GFZ and we're all unarmed.

We who are about to die, salute you!

Right...

But I agree, asking for all that info just to give out free locks sounds like the VA has an ulterior motive. Yet you know, when vets say they're suspicious of the VA/don't trust it, the VA tells us "The VA is your friend" and we're just paranoid.

Whatever...no thanks, I'll pass on the "free" locks.

It's possible now, however, after the El Paso shooting incident, the VA will be looking at installing metal detectors. Just another inconvenience for us vets to deal with. Like when one goes to a Social Security office...as if any of that stuff will stop a "death-wish-psycho-shooter" anyway.

I know it wouldn't stop me...if I were a death-wish-psycho-shooter, that is.

Fortunately, I'm not.

Well, at least TMK.

I mean really, one would KNOW if one was so inclined...right? ;-)
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 01-06-2015 at 11:49 PM.
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Quote Originally Posted by cloudcroft View Post

It's possible now, however, after the El Paso shooting incident, the VA will be looking at installing metal detectors. Just another inconvenience for us vets to deal with. Like when one goes to a Social Security office...as if any of that stuff will stop a "death-wish-psycho-shooter" anyway.

I know it wouldn't stop me...if I were a death-wish-psycho-shooter, that is.

Fortunately, I'm not.

Well, at least TMK.

I mean really, one would KNOW if one was so inclined...right? ;-)
    Good luck with that, considering how much metal of various kinds vets carry around inside them for various reasons. Then there are all the adaptive divices - canes and crutches and walkers and rollers and wheenchairs and scooters and the like, not to mention artificial limbs, and plates in various parts of the body.. It's bad enough that I have to show up 60-90 minutes early just so I can park. The line for those needing hand wanding and frisking is going to make going through TSA look like a walk in the park.

They start that foolishness and I'm going to start wearing a leg bag again - one with the cheapest bag.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit