• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Media already using KY Officer's negligent discharge as argument against RKBA

since9

Campaign Veteran
Police Officer Accidentally Shoots Himself In An Elevator

In 24 years of carrying a firearm, I've always kept it locked and loaded, with either the safety on, or the "safety" being a six-pound trigger pull combined with a firing pin interlock. Not ONCE have I ever experienced a discharge at anything other than the intended target on a firing range or the deer at which I was aiming.

""He was transitioning the holster and transitioning the gun out of his holster. He was going to carry it in his hand as they walked to the car," Cincinnati Capt. Michael John told WLWT. "As he was pulling the gun from the holster, a round discharged, ricocheted in the elevator, struck him in the stomach.""

Dude...

First, you NEVER remove your firearm from its holster in public, except in the course of needing to use your firearm for self-defense or taking down a perp.

Second, you NEVER carry it in your hand as you walk to the car. In many states, that alone constitutes brandishing, which is at least a misdemeanor, but can be constituted as a felony.

Capt John should know these facts. He should have this guy back in Basic Firearms Safety 101 for a mandatory refresher course.

Sadly, the blitheringly idiotic liberal mainstream media has twice mentioned this on news feeds (TV at a friend's house -- I couldn't copy it), using this as a poster child case that "It's difficult enough for highly-trained professionals to safely carry a firearm in public, so the average citizen is simply not qualified."

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm guessing he saw himself in some reflective panel in the elevator, thought it was a carrier, and shot him.

Nothing to see here...

OC for ME

""He was transitioning the holster and transitioning the gun out of his holster. He was going to carry it in his hand as they walked to the car," Cincinnati Capt. Michael John told WLWT. "As he was pulling the gun from the holster, a round discharged, ricocheted in the elevator, struck him in the stomach.""
Not what I watched. Can't help themselves, to embellish the story even when there is irrefutable video evidence to the contrary.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
He was not "transitioning" the gun. He was fiddle-[expletive deleted]ing with it and then tried to reholster it but could not get around his coat while still holding on to the cake in that box. While having his finger inside the trigger guard the whole time.

I'm wondering how many people noticed that his wife picked up the empty shell casing. (At least she had the sense to stop the elevator and head it back to the ground floor while (presumably) dialing 911.

Jackwagon, on the other hand, picked up his gun with his left hand and immediately put his finger inside the trigger guard. I suppose we should be glad he pointed it up towards the ceiling as he stumbled out of the elevator and grabbed onto that vending machine to hold himself up. Well, glad until the second bullet ricocheted off the concrete ceiling and either wounded him, his wife, that other woman that tried to help out when the elevator door opened, or fire/rescue/cops responding to the 911 call.

"I am the only one ...."

stay safe.

Kopis

Not what I watched. Can't help themselves, to embellish the story even when there is irrefutable video evidence to the contrary.

yeah I agree. He was flashing his piece to look cool to the chick and then was fumbling around with his hand in the trigger guard trying to put it in his coat pocket (why wouldnt it go back in a holster, i dont know).

I live in freaking Memphis TN and i am very observant of those around me at all times. Sometimes i may even have my hand at the ready under a coat or something but ive never felt the need to walk to my car with my firearm in my hand (which im sure would be illegal for a lowly civvy like me)

Chief's story is total BS. Im surprised he could read it with a straight face.

The Truth

Damn, getting hit in the gut with a .40 must suck! I wonder what type of bullet he shot himself with. Ouch.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
yeah I agree. He was flashing his piece to look cool to the chick and then was fumbling around with his hand in the trigger guard trying to put it in his coat pocket (why wouldnt it go back in a holster, i dont know).

I live in freaking Memphis TN and i am very observant of those around me at all times. Sometimes i may even have my hand at the ready under a coat or something but ive never felt the need to walk to my car with my firearm in my hand (which im sure would be illegal for a lowly civvy like me)

Chief's story is total BS. Im surprised he could read it with a straight face.

That "chick" has been ID'd as his wife.

Except for the tampering with evidence thing (picking up and carrying away the shell casing) it looked like she responded rather well.

stay safe.

Rusty Young Man

Hate how the video title says "mistakenly" instead of calling it like it is: a NEGLIGENT discharge.

Huffington Post article said:
"He was transitioning the holster and transitioning the gun out of his holster [being careless with his firearm and placing his wife and himself in reckless danger]. He was going to carry it in his hand as they walked to the car," Cincinnati Capt. Michael John told WLWT. "As he was pulling the gun from the holster, a round discharged, ricocheted in the elevator, struck him in the stomach."

Jouett fell, and his wife quickly made a phone call and then ran out of the elevator to get help.

He was taken to a local hospital, The Cincinnati Enquirer reported. By Monday, Jouett was recovering at home but told WCPO that he had been instructed not to speak about the shooting.

"It's very unusual. Obviously you have somebody that's used to handling firearms [used to touting his training and shiny badge, but is in reality an incompetent, reckless fool when it comes to handling firearms safely]," John told the station. "It's very unusual to see somebody discharge a firearm, accidentally, in a confined space like that [stupid and reckless behaviour committed by an LEO such as this be successfully caught on film and disseminated]. It's very unusual."

The underlined portions are the lies/untruths/mistakes said by the captain, and the wording within the brackets is me fixing the good captain's message for him.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
After watching the video several times, especially in slow motion, it appears he pulled it from his holster, attempted to put it into his jacket pocket, couldn't snake it in with one hand, so he changed his mind as the elevator approached the punched floor. He then tried to return it to his holster, whereupon the trigger was either caught on something or inadvertently pulled, discharging the firearm.

I see absolutely zero evidence of him trying to show off to his wife.

Kopis

After watching the video several times, especially in slow motion, it appears he pulled it from his holster, attempted to put it into his jacket pocket, couldn't snake it in with one hand, so he changed his mind as the elevator approached the punched floor. He then tried to return it to his holster, whereupon the trigger was either caught on something or inadvertently pulled, discharging the firearm.

I see absolutely zero evidence of him trying to show off to his wife.

This video clip was shortened. In the longer clip, he draws it from the holster and kind of hefts it in his hand. Hard to explain. He was clearly talking about the gun. Ill see if i can find it for you.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cop-accidentally-shoots-himself-elevator-n280066

Here you can see he palms it right in front of her face.

Oh, looked like a Glock to me...who wudda thunk it.

Definitely not a glock if it's a .40 cal. That's a single stack in the video. It is likely a striker fired gun with a finger safety of some kind though. I dont know, i looked at it again and it may be a G42. Any bullet no matter the caliber hurts Im sure.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
This video clip was shortened. In the longer clip, he draws it from the holster and kind of hefts it in his hand. Hard to explain. He was clearly talking about the gun. Ill see if i can find it for you.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cop-accidentally-shoots-himself-elevator-n280066

Here you can see he palms it right in front of her face.

I appreciate your taking the time to find a much better version of the video.

After watching the new video several times, my conclusion remains the same: "It appears he pulled it from his holster, attempted to put it into his jacket pocket, couldn't snake it in with one hand, so he changed his mind as the elevator approached the punched floor. He then tried to return it to his holster, whereupon the trigger was either caught on something or inadvertently pulled, discharging the firearm."

While he does hold it out for half a second, he's not doing it to show off to his wife. He's probably saying something like, "This darn thing is more trouble than it's worth."

Just kidding about the comment, but it's a gesture supporting an observation, but a show-off move.