Thread: Interesting mind bender RE: open carry law

Interesting mind bender RE: open carry law

Afternoon Ladies and Gents, turning 21 this month and preparing to open carry while waiting to recieve my chls from Az and Oh. I am going to use a safariland level 2 duty holster and this is where the interesting part comes in. Ohio law dictates that during transport my firearm must be in a closed package box or case and ammunition is to be in a seperate such closed package box or case. The other option is that it be in plain sight and secured in a rack or carrier made for such use. Seeing as a level two retention holster meets the requirement of a closed (safariland hood) case (item to protect and secure objects) it seems as though i would simply be required to remove the magazine prior to entering my vehicle and place it in a seperate closed container (glove box etc.) It also seems to me that with my holster being worn at the 2 oclock position while sitting down that would be in plain sight and a level 2 holster is clearly a carrier made for such use as securing firearms. I would like for someone with police or legal experince to comment as well as anyone who can present sections of the orc that i may have overlooked in my research. I do not want to risk my goal of joining law enforcement (doing ridealongs with various departnents currently prior to applying) but i also want to keep my experience as easy as possible. Thanks in advance and God bless

About a year ago I argued much the same thing - but I was wrong. A member who is a lawyer here in Ohio posted the relevant section of the ORC that tells the tale - and it isn't where you'd expect it to be. Here's a link to the post:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post2012186

So please, don't do that or you could end up in trouble.
    Last edited by JustaShooter; 01-06-2015 at 10:41 PM.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Thank you for the link, that section of the orc being seperate from vehicle transport laws is what I had overlooked. Looks like i will have to do the old glovebox/console routine until i get my chls back. Thanks again and God bless sir

Welcome to OCDO (Open Carry Dot Org)!

I'm pleased to see that your query was answered, and I hope you stick around to learn and educate others.

A suggestion - in the future it would greatly improve the readability of your posts if you break things up into paragraphs.

Again, welcome.

Bb, thank you for your suggestion. I am a little new here and dont have a pc so dping everything off my phone can be a little tough. I look forward to becoming a more active member here over the coming months. Thank you and God bless

Cool

hey man,

I just received my CCW less than two months ago. I work at a gun shop and open carried a lot before I received the permit. Safest way for you to travel in a vehicle before getting your permit is to disarm yourself, unload and clear your weapon, and then put the firearm in your trunk and keep the magazine /ammo in the cabin with you. I kept a range bag in my truck and would unholster my gun in there before getting in to drive. As soon as i got out, I would reload my weapon and holster it. The gun shop is close to a police station and a couple police officers saw me doing this with no issue. The CCW makes it a lot easier now hope it helps

Welcome to the forums.

Do your research on laws.

For the love of God, don't long gun carry.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDEWDjv View Post

Why not?
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    Why not?
    Darn good question.

Maybe its a perception issue.

OCT might benefit more if their patriots came off....

More like this
    Than this
    Last edited by Custodian; 01-26-2015 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Pics
    Subsisto tutus. Subsisto secundus emendatio.

Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes, as do those who do their bidding. Anyone who tells you that the threat of tyranny is long over, is either a fool, an enemy, or BOTH.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Custodian View Post
    Darn good question.

Maybe its a perception issue.

OCT might benefit more if their patriots came off....

More like this
    Than this
    Or like this?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uR3fiCCJk9...her%2Bback.jpg

Banned
    Why not?
    Cause it a-looks a-too scary...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Is that a self pic?
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDEWDjv View Post
    Why not?
    Perhaps a Texan could explain it to you.