• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting mind bender RE: open carry law

dmstippling

Afternoon Ladies and Gents, turning 21 this month and preparing to open carry while waiting to recieve my chls from Az and Oh. I am going to use a safariland level 2 duty holster and this is where the interesting part comes in. Ohio law dictates that during transport my firearm must be in a closed package box or case and ammunition is to be in a seperate such closed package box or case. The other option is that it be in plain sight and secured in a rack or carrier made for such use. Seeing as a level two retention holster meets the requirement of a closed (safariland hood) case (item to protect and secure objects) it seems as though i would simply be required to remove the magazine prior to entering my vehicle and place it in a seperate closed container (glove box etc.) It also seems to me that with my holster being worn at the 2 oclock position while sitting down that would be in plain sight and a level 2 holster is clearly a carrier made for such use as securing firearms. I would like for someone with police or legal experince to comment as well as anyone who can present sections of the orc that i may have overlooked in my research. I do not want to risk my goal of joining law enforcement (doing ridealongs with various departnents currently prior to applying) but i also want to keep my experience as easy as possible. Thanks in advance and God bless

dmstippling

Thank you for the link, that section of the orc being seperate from vehicle transport laws is what I had overlooked. Looks like i will have to do the old glovebox/console routine until i get my chls back. Thanks again and God bless sir

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome to OCDO (Open Carry Dot Org)!

I'm pleased to see that your query was answered, and I hope you stick around to learn and educate others.

A suggestion - in the future it would greatly improve the readability of your posts if you break things up into paragraphs.

Again, welcome.

dmstippling

Bb, thank you for your suggestion. I am a little new here and dont have a pc so dping everything off my phone can be a little tough. I look forward to becoming a more active member here over the coming months. Thank you and God bless

philly

hey man,

I just received my CCW less than two months ago. I work at a gun shop and open carried a lot before I received the permit. Safest way for you to travel in a vehicle before getting your permit is to disarm yourself, unload and clear your weapon, and then put the firearm in your trunk and keep the magazine /ammo in the cabin with you. I kept a range bag in my truck and would unholster my gun in there before getting in to drive. As soon as i got out, I would reload my weapon and holster it. The gun shop is close to a police station and a couple police officers saw me doing this with no issue. The CCW makes it a lot easier now :) hope it helps