• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question of the Law in background check misinformation

djremy

I was recently contacted by a local detective letting me know that I was being charged with a misdemeanor and a felony for trying to purchase a gun from a gander mountain in my local area. The question that I unlawfully answered was in regards to felonies or misdemeanors in which i could be sentenced with more than one year of incarceration. I was unaware that my second DUI was considered in this question because all I got was probation for 1 year, no jail time. This offense occurred over 10 years ago and I did not think that DUIs were an issue. I am a little amazed that they are filing charges against me for ignorance, and I understand not knowing the law is not an excuse. However my lawyer did all the negotiating in my DUI case so I was not aware of what the penalties may have been, only what the penalty was going to be if that makes sense. To think that I may get a felony charge for not being aware is flabbergasting to me, and is there anything I can do, if anyone has had this happen to them or knows of situations like this?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Do not post more of this except on the advice of counsel.

Will delete this thread if you so request.

PM being sent.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
What council?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council

I would tell him to seek out legal counsel myself.

Maybe going after him for answering a question falsely on a form?

They may have to prove intent.

OP needs to shut up, not contact the po po and try to "talk himself into prison" and seek out a lawyer.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by davidmcbeth

What council?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council

I would tell him to seek out legal counsel myself.

you missed "accept"
:banghead: Fixed both.