• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oops, I missed the dog - man shoots unarmed & innocent woman in chest, killing her

Oldmountainman

There are times when not having a gun handy is a bad idea, and there are times when having one handy is not the best idea !! Anyone can train, and train and train about when and when not to use their fire arm !!! But its all just training, your frame of mind is a another story when the **** hits the fan !!! Yes the cop went home to his family but if he is any kind of man he was puking up his toe nails !!! I will not judge this man because I was not there !!

The Truth

Update.I will continue to await the findings of the investigation.

You ever been attacked by a dog? A shot of pepper spray is very effective. People even use high powered pepper spray to get 9 foot brown bears to leave them alone. If you're smart enough, you can stop an aggressive dog with voice and body language.

This specific cop is a complete moron and now someone is dead because of his stupidity, and the woman's husband and child got to witness their wife/mother killed.

My quotes are edited to reflect my updated opinion (which hasn't changed).

I'm glad you're taking "the high road" and playing devil's advocate here. Someone's got to do it. That being said, my opinion of the officer has not changed simply based on the fact that he was indeed bitten. Any normal citizen who is not armed with all the necessary defense items may have only had a gun. Maybe the cop only had a gun. Who knows, but he's obviously not a very responsible shooter, and a gun in close proximity to others was probably not the smartest option.

I want to see pics of this "bite." It better be brutal, warranting "in fear for my life" deadly force. Where I live it's illegal to shoot within 100 feet of the street, probably for this very reason. IT'S UNSAFE.

Allow me to share a story with you.

I had a stray pit bull get into my yard one night. I think I even posted about it on here when it happened. It was a very large dog, probably 80 lbs. or more. I can only assume he was trying to get to my female pitty. He was so huge that he leapt over my chain link fence in one bound, only pushing with his hind legs to keep his mid-air momentum going. It was impressive. We had a short standoff about 10 feet away and he took a very aggressive stance while we got a feel for each other. A combination of a 500 lumen flashlight and my dominant body language told him it'd be in his best interest to high tail it outta my yard.

I'm glad he didn't attack me, because I had my hand on my .40 (still holstered, but cocked into single action) and he was big enough that I would not have felt bad to dispatch him and save myself some hospital bills. Come to find out (after I posted here about it) I would likely have been arrested and my pistol seized because there is an ordinance in my county that states it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 100 feet of a roadway. Not sure I could've proven self defense.

Cops don't really have that problem, eh?

Last edited:

OC for ME

What would you guys do if that happened to you? Cop shoots & kills your wife while trying to kill your dog...?
Indeed what would we do. Would we use lethal force against the cop? I mean, he just shot your wife!

Based on current news reports it is very unlikely that the cop will suffer any criminal sanctions.

A civil remedy, if a civil remedy is sought and subsequently successful, will make all things right.:rolleyes:

Kopis

Why do these dogs attack cops so much? Ive been around dogs all my life. I see them out while running everyday. Some bark and run down the fence, some get out and chase me wanting to play but they aren't trying to run me down to eat me. Even stray dogs are usually nice if you beckon them and talk softly.

sudden valley gunner

Why do these dogs attack cops so much? Ive been around dogs all my life. I see them out while running everyday. Some bark and run down the fence, some get out and chase me wanting to play but they aren't trying to run me down to eat me. Even stray dogs are usually nice if you beckon them and talk softly.

Many dogs can sense bad people.

BlueSquid

This makes me mad. I'm abstaining from further comment right now because this has me not thinking straight. I don't know what I would do if I were that husband... I think it's safe to say the tax payers will be paying his bills for the rest of his life, though. Unfortunate, though, since it should be coming out of the pockets of that LEO who can't seem to hold his urine when being "startled."

Firearms Iinstuctor

I am a little late to the game here on this one been having some WIFI trouble.

I was a deputy for close to a decade have been running, biking for many more needless to say I have had a lot of dog encounters.

I have own and trained many dogs of my own and of others I have sprayed a lot of dogs it has worked when I have needed it. I have come close to shooting two. I have known one deputy who shot a dog is self defense He had bite marks top prove it. The bite became infected and he was off work for some time the dog that bit him was around 40lbs.

I well not take a bite to prove self defense, in a most states the standard for self defense from a animal is lower then a human.

My policy when I was serving papers was if I drove into a place and their dogs were out and about was to stay in the cruiser until the owners came out and put them under control if the dog seemed aggressive at all.

Working in a rural area 98 percent of the dogs were loose. Having decades of dog experience I can normally tell an aggressive dog from a now aggressive one.

The closest I came to receiving a bad bite was from a great Dane owned by the father of a fellow deputy. I was serving him in a fore closure matter. I had know the family for many year went school with the son ect. I pulled into the farm and out came his Dane. It ran up to the cruiser and stood by the window and looked me in the eye a big dog for sure. I beeped the horn and out came Chuck I asked him to tie the dog up he said famous last words my dog doesn't bite.

He called the dog away and I stepped out I told Chuck I had papers for him he said I know been expecting them. I handed him the papers stood around talking to him the dog by this time was standing next to me and I rubbed his ears and he seemed happy. I finished up said my good byes was about two steps towards the cruiser. Caught a flash of movement jerked by arm out of the way. The dog ripped threw my shirt sleeve I was I the process of drawing my revolver when the owner jumped in grabbed his dog. I backed away very slowly got in the cruiser thinking dam that was close.

So don't tell me your dog doesn't bite I won't believe you.

The other time was just about a year when the neighbors chessy came out and started running at me and my lab who was on a leash kind of caught me by surprise the dog was a good 200 yards from the house I heard a loud aggressive bark really close I turned and yelled as hard as loud as I could NO. the dog slowed I yelled again reaching for my spray my dog turn and acted like he wanted to play. The neighbors dog stopped about 10 feet away hair up growling a very low deep growl showing teeth. . I noticed the a strong wind in my face and though dam I most likely well get a face full of spray. I started slowly reaching for my pistol while yelling go home no go home the dog started to back off I got a bit more aggressive towards him in he walked towards its house I stood there yelling until he was a good 100 feet away then walked another hundred feet before continuing my run.

I called the neighbor explain what happen he said you should have shot him I said buy a kennel. haven't had any trouble from the dog again.

But I find the idea of shooting at a dog and hitting a human to be very unacceptable, criminally and civilly liable.

OC for ME

I...

But I find the idea of shooting at a dog and hitting a human to be very unacceptable, criminally and civilly liable.
I'll be completely surprised if any criminal action is taken against the cop. Dogs, except cop dogs, are not held in high regard under the law. A cop dog could attack you and you'd likely be held to account vs. the dog or his handler.

The cop has a out, the bite. There is also the possibility that no civil action will be successful, due to the bite. I have zero interest in the cop's feelings on this matter just as no cop gives a rip about my feelings when, or if, I'm abused by that cop.
A Carroll County Sheriff's Office K-9 that attacked a suspect during an incident in Green Forest bit the suspect's thigh for approximately 90 seconds despite a deputy's repeated commands for the dog to release, a video recording of the incident shows.

http://www.carrollconews.com/story/2126981.html
Notice that the deputy blames the perp for moving and thus deserving of the attack because that is what the dog is trained to do. The deputy is not responsible to be sure the dog does not attack a prone and restrained detainee. This is prototypical cop behavior...blame the detainee and not themselves.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/two-innocent-bystanders-attacked-orlando-k9-office/nfJNk/

http://www.wlwt.com/news/woman-transported-to-hospital-after-boone-co-sheriffs-dept-k9-bite/29678814

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/13/police-dog-attacks-wrong-man_n_5317948.html

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020474412_k9dogbitesxml.html

http://www.wthr.com/story/26057433/2014/07/18/fishers-family-plans-lawsuit-over-police-k-9-attack

http://www.kmov.com/news/editors-pick/Innocent-man-loses-his-ear-to-police-dog-285538211.html

It is obvious to me that a dog is lethal threat when it come after a cop, but a dog is a cop when it goes after a citizen and is no longer considered a lethal threat.

The cop will walk and the city may pay.

Firearms Iinstuctor

So in other words a little common sense and situational awareness is a great solution rather than shooting first and asking questions later. ;)

I was raised on a farm with animals large small and medium if every time one killed an animal that was, might, could have injured you one soon would be left with no animals.

Animals that became aggressive to often were shipped or taken care of on the farm.

One learned to be careful and wary of bulls, stallions, boars, sows with young. even cat, dogs, rabbits roosters and the list goes on.

Animals can hurt you no matter what they are.

You talk about common sense a large majority of people in this country have no practical experience with animals or with firearms. They do not know how to or what to really expect from both.

Political correctness has caused a lot of hiring of people who know very little of the real workings of the world.

Of all the training in the world if one could develop a common sense course and make every body pass it

It could do away with lots of other training developing common sense and some never get there can take a life time of learning.

What I see as common sense can be totally foreign to someone on else.

The answer to this is easy make me king and I'll solve all the problems. LOL

since9

Campaign Veteran
What would you guys do if that happened to you? Cop shoots & kills your wife while trying to kill your dog...?

Lots of ifs here, but the forum's age-old saying of "better to be tried by twelve than buried by six" applies rather well. In that situation the cop would have just demonstrated he intends grievous bodily harm or death to myself or my family. The moment he pulls the trigger and kills someone, "intent" no longer matters. His actions have just spoken louder than any words.

My response would be precisely the same as any law enforcement officer encountering a violent criminal brandishing a weapon.

OC for ME

I don't think cops get attacked by dogs any more than dogs attack anyone else. I think many cops are dogophobes.