• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoreline schools were on lockdown for reports of man with a gun

()pen(arry

My wife works in North Shore SD, and she said they received an email stating that a custodian at a Shoreline elementary school claimed to have been approached during morning arrivals by a man in a dark hoodie with a gun, who threatened to "shoot up some schools" and ran away. He was the only direct witness to this purported event. DYOC.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Do schools seriously not have security cameras? If the custodian was approached during arrivals, this happened on school property?

compmanio365

So martial law on hearsay?

I believe the "lockdown" for anything other than schools was voluntary. But a huge overreaction nonetheless. We have no evidence a gunman ever even existed.

I enjoyed the wailing from the plethora of mad mommies who lambasted me for daring to say as much on the KOMO forums. People obviously enjoy living in a constant state of fear in our society today. And they pass that down to their poor children.

Lockdown the school this supposed gunman was seen at, sure. Tell everybody else to keep an eye out, sure. Anything more is pure paranoia from a society that is constantly conditioned to fear guns and the people who own them.

sudden valley gunner

I believe the "lockdown" for anything other than schools was voluntary.

On the news this morning a mother talked about how she was refused access to her child by the police. Doesn't seem voluntary to me.

But a huge overreaction nonetheless. We have no evidence a gunman ever even existed.

I enjoyed the wailing from the plethora of mad mommies who lambasted me for daring to say as much on the KOMO forums. People obviously enjoy living in a constant state of fear in our society today. And they pass that down to their poor children.

Lockdown the school this supposed gunman was seen at, sure. Tell everybody else to keep an eye out, sure. Anything more is pure paranoia from a society that is constantly conditioned to fear guns and the people who own them.

+1
Condition people to be afraid and to cower to authority. Something both the fake left and right seem to be competing to outdo each other in.

WalkingWolf

Could it have been one of those umbrella guns, we have had a couple lockdowns in NC because someone called in a MWAU.

utbagpiper

Banned
My wife works in North Shore SD, and she said they received an email stating that a custodian at a Shoreline elementary school claimed to have been approached during morning arrivals by a man in a dark hoodie with a gun, who threatened to "shoot up some schools" and ran away. He was the only direct witness to this purported event. DYOC.

So I presume that a full time employee at the school is a fairly credible witness. And he didn't just call in a MWAG alarm over seeing someone walking down the street minding his own business. He says he received a direct threat from a man carrying a gun. One witness may not be enough to convict the bad/crazy guy in court if he (or someone the cops think is him) gets picked up later, especially if there is no gun present.

But how do we all expect the system to respond if someone walks up to us, gun in hand, says he is going to shoot us, and we respond with necessary force to stop that threat? What if the person who was threatened and then successfully defended herself is the "only witness to" the purported threat?

It seems there was some over-reaction. But I believe that given a credible witness to a specific and overtly expressed threat of criminal violence against the schools by a man who was in possession of some means to carry out that threat, does warrant some response of heightened security.

When someone pulls a fire alarm at a school, or calls in a bomb threat, we don't just assume it is a joke. It is entirely appropriate to make some effort to confirm there isn't a real threat before proceeding along is if there is no problem.

We all preach situational awareness but then get upset if a school district does anything at all to respond to a credible witness reporting an overtly expressed threat of criminal violence made by a man who at the moment he made the threat was in possession of the item needed to carry out that threat?

I think hostility to government is clouding some judgment on this side just as much as excess paranoia may be causing some over-reaction on the other side.

Charles

sudden valley gunner

Now I'm certain that "martial law" doesn't mean what you think it means.

Charles

Maybe you don't like this definition then...

According to the Supreme Court, the term martial law carries no precise meaning (Duncan v. Kahanamoku, 327 U.S. 304,66 S. Ct. 606, 90 L. Ed. 688 [1946]). However, most declarations of martial law have some common features. Generally, the institution of martial law contemplates some use of military force. To a varying extent, depending on the martiallaw order, government military personnel have the authority to make and enforce civil and criminal laws. Certain civil liberties may be suspended, such as the right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures, freedom of association,and freedom of movement.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Martial+lawBo