• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoreline schools were on lockdown for reports of man with a gun

mikeyb

I don't see a credible threat when a person with the means to do harm threatens and then runs away (if you accept that story).

I'm so glad that this guy announced his intentions, since history has shown us that school shooters always distribute a warning.

Like the kid who posted on some social media site that he was going to kill some school kids the next day with his dad's hunting rifle. Too bad his dad didn't have a rifle, or any other firearm. Nevertheless, school was closed that day.

BTW, sarcasm heavy in this post. If you can't figure out what's sarcasm... well... Gump's gonna Gump.

rapgood

Good post, and when its done by the state with armed people in costumes we could call that.....?

"Terrifying" in Seattle. I don't know about Shoreline, but I've heard that Shoreline PD are contracted King County Sheriff's Deputies and are generally considered decent and law-abiding LEOs. I have had no contact with them either personally or professionally, so I have no first-hand experience.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

"Terrifying" in Seattle. I don't know about Shoreline, but I've heard that Shoreline PD are contracted King County Sheriff's Deputies and are generally considered decent and law-abiding LEOs. I have had no contact with them either personally or professionally, so I have no first-hand experience.

Terrifying is a good description.

Primus

The article linked to by the OP indicates that the schools were secured for a total of 2 hours while police verified there was no threat present. That is not "most or all of the school day". For many high schools, that is slightly more than one class period.

Whether taking two hours to verify no threat is present, and then canceling school for the day is a better or worse response than looking for a potential threat while school is in session with people moving around seems like picking at nits.

Tell me that any response is made to a kid drawing a picture, or seeing someone legally in possession of a gun in the community, and I'll pile on with you. But when a direct threat is clearly expressed by someone visibly in possession of the means to carry out that threat, a response is warranted and I don't consider taking a couple of hours to verify security while not turning kids lose to become potential targets as they mill around the school grounds as tyrannical, paramilitary, or otherwise grossly out of line.

When a fire alarm gets pulled, we empty the building. Every kid knows that. We don't decline to empty the building to avoid teaching kids that pulling the alarm will empty the building. We impose proper penalties for false alarms.

Charles
+1

()pen(arry

The article linked to by the OP indicates that the schools were secured for a total of 2 hours while police verified there was no threat present. That is not "most or all of the school day". For many high schools, that is slightly more than one class period.

In the article linked to by the OP, it is reported that the threat was made against schools by a visibly armed man whose location could then not be nailed down. Some have already conceded that some precautionary response was warranted at all schools in the area when they responded "+1" to ()penCarry's post about what he thought the proper response was. That post made clear that some response was proper across the district.

You are bad at The Reading.
  1. "Law enforcement and the district" claimed "about two hours". First, the citation is ambiguous, at best, and unreliable, most like. You have no reason, whatsoever, to suppose that anyone actually attached to "law enforcement" or "the district" claimed anything of the kind, when no source is identified. Second, "law enforcement" has no track record of credibility in anything they claim, particularly when they are explicitly permitted to lie when not under oath. "Law enforcement" have, however, established an extensive track record of under-reporting their subversion of rights as a matter of course. You're believing a news report of what law enforcement claimed. I called you credulous before; you're begging for an upgrade. Third, when two entities ("law enforcement" and "the district") both are absolutely aware of exactly how long a career-promoting event has taken, yet claim "about <anything>", it is an outright guarantee that they are dissembling. ("Senator, how many times did BP fly you to Aruba?" "You know, maybe something like twice, or about that.") Fourth, I have already established that I am closer to a reliable source than you, having direct connection to an industry source of information. Be as skeptical as you please; I encourage skepticism in all news and/or law enforcement reports. In this situation, the proper response is, "Given that you claim to have more direct information, do you have a reason to assert that the school was on lock-down for more than two hours?" Instead, your response was to presume the veracity of a report by an industry notorious for getting everything wrong in crisis situations. Really, I'm not sure I can not upgrade you. Finally, the linked news article is from Ottawa. Ottawa! That's over 2500 miles away in another country! Here's a statement from Shoreline SD. 7:20AM to "about" 11:00AM. So much for "about two hours". I don't know what the schedule for elementary school classes is in Shoreline SD. My wife works in North Shore SD. The middle school she works at lets out at 1:05PM on Wednesdays. If we ballpark schedules, 4 hours out of 6 is most certainly "all or most of the day". I'm perfectly happy to stand by what I said. You, however, really oughtn't be.
  2. No one, especially me, said a response of the kind you imply† "at all schools" "was warranted". As I did not say it, no one agreeing with me concurred with such a sentiment. You aren't stretching, here; you're simply making sh't up.
It seems, from linguistic evidence, that you aren't stupid. Demonstrate a degree (any degree at all would be welcome) of circumspection in your observation of the world around you. I have no personal interest in you believing the media report of a law enforcement account of the situation. I have absolutely no reason, much less need, to convince you that something other than what that report claimed was true. What does concern me is you making false representation of what I said. Outright false. That you will please knock off, immediately.

† You have made it abundantly clear that you think the response enacted was appropriate, at least in kind. By claiming that I endorsed "a response" at all schools in the district, in the context of you endorsing the response that was enacted, you are necessarily claiming that I endorse a response of the kind that was enacted "at all schools". I fully expect you to deny that you claimed any such thing. However, language has meaning, context is fundamental to the meaning of language, and you said what you said. You're trying to twist my words to endorse the response that was enacted, and thereby twist the concurrence of my words by others. Stop it. I have disavowed you; you cannot hope to convince others that I concur with you.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
For those who won't read more than two lines:

My apologies to ()pen(arry if anything I wrote was inaccurate. Can we all try to be a little slower to take offense?

Charles

For those who want some details and maybe some food for thought, read on. But please nobody complain about the length when I already gave you the readers' digest version.

"Law enforcement and the district" claimed "about two hours".

I'm not quite ready to assume that everything that comes from the police or the government is a lie. Maybe it is. Maybe in this case it was. I simply don't start with that assumption. I took the info in the original article at face value.

Here's a statement from Shoreline SD[/URL]. 7:20AM to "about" 11:00AM. So much for "about two hours". I don't know what the schedule for elementary school classes is in Shoreline SD.

I seem to have missed reading these details previously. My apologies.

No one, especially me, said a response of the kind you imply "at all schools" "was warranted".

Nor did I intend to suggest you did. You did, however, say that some response was warranted across the district:

"A response is, of course, appropriate. ....

"Here's what that response ought to look like, given the evidence at hand: Shoreline police send a handful (<=6) officers to the school in question to establish a security presence, without interfering with normal activity; Shoreline police send an officer or two to each other school in the district to observe the campuses, without interfering with normal activity;..."

(emphasis added)

Again, I never intended to suggest nor imply that you supported the kind of response that was made. And if you or anyone else honestly got that impression from something I failed to explain clearly, I apologize.

But perhaps if we could all take a deep breath and assume that we are conversing with decent people who generally agree on issues of personal liberties rather than assuming that any disagreement is a sign of some jack booted thug who wants to send us re-education camps, those itching to violently overthrow the government and murder cops, or whatever other image may come to mind when someone doesn't agree with our view 100%, we'd have slightly fewer misunderstandings.

It seems, from linguistic evidence, that you aren't stupid.

I appreciate that. Thank you.

What does concern me is you making false representation of what I said. Outright false. That you will please knock off, immediately.

Now, since you don't seem stupid either, perhaps go re-read my post, carefully, and without any bias toward assuming I have any evil or ill intent, and see if I actually did suggest/imply that you supported anything close to the response made. I'm pretty sure I wrote that you had supported "some precautionary response ... at all schools" in the district in reply to some who seemed to be arguing that any district-wide response was inappropriate. If you find something I've posted that you can quote in context that rationally suggests otherwise, I'll apologize yet again, and edit my post to correct any misunderstanding. What more can I offer?

You have made it abundantly clear that you think the response enacted was appropriate, at least in kind.

Please re-read more carefully.

In my first post on the matter I wrote: "It seems there was some over-reaction."

Beyond that, I've far more taken issue with characterizing the response as "martial law", "tyrannical", or "paramilitary" based on what I read in the OP's linked article that included a report of a 2 hour security response and then letting school out early than defended the response itself. I have not condemned the response as strongly as some others have. I don't know whether a lock down and security sweep is the best response in this case or not. The response you suggested may have been entirely appropriate and adequate. You seem to be far closer to the incident with far better information. I wish it could be presented with a little less drama, accusations, and overt bias against police and government.

Again, I sincerely did not intend to imply that you endorsed the response that was given. You made that perfectly clear in your post where you asserted what the proper response would have been. So since you've conceded I'm not stupid, it makes no sense that I would claim something entirely opposite what you clearly, plainly wrote. I wrote only that you had agreed that "some precautionary response was warranted at all schools" (emphasis added).

If anyone, more removed from the emotion of thinking they were personally mis-represented honestly thought I was claiming you supported the response that was made, I'll both apologize and question their reading ability. I'll then go edit my post. (And I'm not slamming you if there was any emotion clouding judgement when you believed I'd mis-represented your position. I very much take issue when someone mis-represents my position. So I fully understand.)

As I posted earlier, if we get this kind of police reaction to something that obviously is not a threat, I'll join you in piling on about gross over-reaction. But as you noted, language matters. I think "martial law" and "tyrannical" have meanings that do not apply to a few hours of excess of caution when it comes to a credible witness (and if the school employee isn't credible enough to be honest in the report he made, he shouldn't be a school employee). Show me a lockdown for the purpose of keeping parents away from children and I'll join the chorus of "tyranny, tyranny".

But understand this. I start from a position similar to the founders/framers of believing that functioning governments are better than lack of government. I believe even today that most police officers have good intentions and are not evil thugs nor tyrants. Whatever the statistics may say, the emotion among the population--and so among those they hire and elect and empower to provide general security in society--is one of extreme caution when it comes to any hint of a school shooting. Simply put, I start from a position of benefit-of-the-doubt for the police when it comes to them responding to an overtly expressed threat of violence towards schools. It is clear that others start from a very different position.

This doesn't mean either of us are evil or wrong. It means that some difference of views will occur.

I would greatly appreciate if we could consider those differences without resorting to name calling or imparting of evil intent. I've gone back and re-read each of my posts on this matter. I've not insulted anyone. I've not suggested anyone supports rape. The closest I've come to incivility is being a bit curt and telling twoskins to "give it a rest" when he kept pushing on what I believe is an inappropriate use of of the term "marital law". (I also thought he misused "Hearsay" but he didn't quite pick up on that.)

Let just ask several of you this question. What is your purpose here? Is it to castigate and alienate anyone who doesn't agree with 100%? Or is it to consider some different viewpoints, to build some relationships with those you wouldn't otherwise meet, gain some ideas for being effective, maybe even work together to advance RKBA? Is it some healthy recreation with sometimes vigorous, but civil debate, which benefits might include thinking more deeply about our own positions? Or is to beat the other guy into submission? Do we want lots of gun owners and RKBA supporters, with diversity of views to feel welcome on the board? Or we want to limit participation to those who agree entirely with us or at least are willing to get down into the mud of personal accusations and written unpleasantness?

This is a pro-RKBA board. It is not an anti-cop board, or an anti-government board. Frankly, the posted story has (almost?) nothing to do with lawful OC, nor RKBA. It is about a police response to a man allegedly making a threat of illegal violence while in possession of a gun. I trust nobody here is going to suggest such a man nor his reported conduct has anything to do with lawfully OCing a gun, nor RKBA. Even fairly significant disagreement on this story should have nothing to do with our ability to work together on RKBA, and so our responses to each other should, likewise, be calculated not to harm the ability to work together on RKBA.

I can and did readily agree that the response seemed to me to be excessive. I quibbled only with the excessive use of language some used to describe it. I did so with far less vigor than you've responded to what you think is my inaccurate use of language.

Should either really warrant such venom?

I've been on this board 8 years. I've seen it ebb and flow. The current tone is pretty much a low point for civility and useful dialogue. And I admit I've been part of that recently. I'm trying to do better. I invite others to re-consider why they are here and join me in elevating the level of discussion a bit.

I do wish you all the best.

Charles

Last edited:

()pen(arry

me and utbagpiper said:

You've extended an olive branch and I would be a [feminine rinse]* to refuse it. I'm happy to make peace, and, hopefully, friends.

Here are my principles, particularly as they apply to this topic:
  • I do automatically mistrust any agent of government†
  • I am automatically skeptical of the representations of news media
  • I don't give government or news media the benefit of the doubt
I live in a world of humans. Particularly in light of the experiences I have of myself, I observe other humans with a great deal of skepticism and distrust. This does not preclude me trusting and enjoying other humans; rather, it makes trust and enjoyment of any given human a notably exceptional, and therefore actually meaningful, occurrence. I value merit always, and credential rarely. As a result, I trust what I observe and can verify, and protect myself against bare assertion. Those who propose to protect me from myself deserve at least scorn, and probably violence‡. Should I ever parent§ children, I will endeavor to train them up in circumspection, discernment, intestinal fortitude, and self-reliance. Presuming that the world behaves as it ought is begging for a kick in the pants.

In this situation, we readily observe gross over-reaction to unsubstantiated threat. This is par for the course. Such circumstances engender fearfulness and willful dependency on government. Is this what we should be teaching children? I submit that the answer is always "hell no".

* Love the censorship, folks :(

† All government action, no matter the objective or method, reduces to violence. Thus, any government agent is ultimately and fundamentally an agent of violence.

‡ Self defense is violent. I am not unsympathetic to non-violent philosophies; I'd like better to understand how they incarnate in the real world.

§ We'd adopt. I make no judgment regarding procreation; we simply prefer to give love and home to children already in need. I have 13 genetic or marital nieces and nephews, and am confident my considerably curmudgeonly nature will have its legacy extended, regardless of my procreative choices.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
You've extended an olive branch and I would be a [feminine rinse]* to refuse it. I'm happy to make peace, and, hopefully, friends.

Thank you.

Here are my principles, particularly as they apply to this topic:
  • I do automatically mistrust any agent of government†
  • I am automatically skeptical of the representations of news media
  • I don't give government or news media the benefit of the doubt

I can join you in automatic skepticism of the news media. I'm even skeptical of government. I draw a personal distinction between a healthy distrust of or skepticism toward government, and what I'd personally think is an excessive distrust of government.

My experience leads to believe most people are good and decent. I try to maintain what I think is a healthy and proper situation awareness without actually assuming most folks are out to get me in any way. This has lead me to many wonderful and enriching interactions.

But knowing where we each come from, we can understand our respective perspectives and not take personal insults when there are some differences of view. Which isn't to say that we won't, or shouldn't have some wonderful and vigorous disagreements. There is really not much fun in just saying "+1" all the time. :) But I look forward to disagreements without being disagreeable.

I suspect you have some rather interesting life experiences to share along the way.

As a side note, it has been interesting for me to observe in myself the changes that having children has brought to my outlook on life. I think it was in no small part my children, and realizing that I and my home were not an island but subject to some influence of larger society that moved me from pretty solid libertarian political views and back to more conservative views, moderated by some libertarian remnants.

Have a fine weekend.

Charles

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

It isn't just an over reaction, it is becoming more and more common exercise in martial law, tyranny.

It matters not how long the crime happens its still a crime.

It is still terrifying.

Some may want to ignore the signs of tyranny and rationalize them away just like a parent may ignore the signs of drug addiction in a child and rationalize away his odd behavior......it don't change the facts.

twoskinsonemanns

It isn't just an over reaction, it is becoming more and more common exercise in martial law, tyranny.

It matters not how long the crime happens its still a crime.

It is still terrifying.

Some may want to ignore the signs of tyranny and rationalize them away just like a parent may ignore the signs of drug addiction in a child and rationalize away his odd behavior......it don't change the facts.

Exactly right. It's not JUST an over reaction because THEY don't believe it's an over reaction at all.
Any time there is any event even remotely associated with "security" to any degree then any and all rights are virtually suspended. It's literally like a Totalitarianism Switch that is simply flipped on and off at will by LE any time there is an incident. The most dismal fact to me is why the media does not question this...

sudden valley gunner

Exactly right. It's not JUST an over reaction because THEY don't believe it's an over reaction at all.
Any time there is any event even remotely associated with "security" to any degree then any and all rights are virtually suspended. It's literally like a Totalitarianism Switch that is simply flipped on and off at will by LE any time there is an incident. The most dismal fact to me is why the media does not question this...

+1 I like that line. Will have to remember that one.

Primus

Ever hear of Beslan? That's a good example of why parents shouldn't be allowed around during times of crisis.
+1 I like that line. Will have to remember that one.
Per usual more fear mongering. Worse then antis. Its a matter of prudence. Studying incidents like beslan show why its bad to allow parents in or around crisis. These responses are based on prudence. Instead of realizing that guys go right to rhetoric.

With that I'll let you boys get back to your pep rally.

()pen(arry

Studying incidents like beslan show why its bad to allow parents in or around crisis.

This is the fundamental mindset that's so despicable. Cops, and other agents of state violence, are absolutely convinced that it's up to them to decide what's best for people. It simply cannot enter their minds that it is every person's right to make absolutely horrible, stupid decisions, and that the results of horrible, stupid decisions are better than any outcome that may or may not be engineered by government nannies. A society not faced with the consequences of bad decisions will continue to foster people who make even worse decisions. By attempting to nanny society, government makes society weaker. People like Primus are incapable of understanding that, and actively work to make it worse.

sudden valley gunner

This is the fundamental mindset that's so despicable. Cops, and other agents of state violence, are absolutely convinced that it's up to them to decide what's best for people. It simply cannot enter their minds that it is every person's right to make absolutely horrible, stupid decisions, and that the results of horrible, stupid decisions are better than any outcome that may or may not be engineered by government nannies. A society not faced with the consequences of bad decisions will continue to foster people who make even worse decisions. By attempting to nanny society, government makes society weaker. People like Primus are incapable of understanding that, and actively work to make it worse.

+1

sudden valley gunner

Ever hear of Beslan? That's a good example of why parents shouldn't be allowed around during times of crisis.

Per usual more fear mongering. Worse then antis. Its a matter of prudence. Studying incidents like beslan show why its bad to allow parents in or around crisis. These responses are based on prudence. Instead of realizing that guys go right to rhetoric.

Says the guy who relies on fear mongering to keep his job. And from the guy who is bringing up Beslan....LOL>....

I notice that you don't/can't counter that it was wrong, against our rights etc......

Beslan you mean the incident in a country that the population was unarmed.

I don't care what your reasons are for (which you have provided a valid one) restricting people from their children and from moving about freely is wrong.....

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

This latest troll snipe has actually convinced me to put you on the ignore list. Your comparing the horrific conditions of beslan to the OP and actually using it as justification for the everyday "standard operating procedures" of suspending civil rights any time you thugs choose is literally nauseating. Good bye.

Primus

This latest troll snipe has actually convinced me to put you on the ignore list. Your comparing the horrific conditions of beslan to the OP and actually using it as justification for the everyday "standard operating procedures" of suspending civil rights any time you thugs choose is literally nauseating. Good bye.
Adios my love. You will be missed. [emoji8]