Thread: BJ

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

BJ

I was saddened to hear that one of the great activists in Virginia has passed away.
    Betty “BJ” Ostergren, 65, a longtime community activist in Hanover County, died Tuesday. Ostergren, of Mechanicsville, was vocal on government matters, and she received national media attention for her fight for Internet privacy. She was known by some as the “Virginia Watchdog” and founded The Virginia Watchdog website, where she advocated for more privacy online and retaliated against government officials by posting public records that included personal information about them.
    As I found out this summer, our number can come up at any time so fight every day like it's your last, never sell your guns and never say "Sir" just because someone's wearing a three piece suit.

BJ opened the door to privacy in the Clerks office which the CHP people followed to keep their information secret.
    Godspeed BJ....you are already missed.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I was saddened to hear that one of the great activists in Virginia has passed away.
    Betty “BJ” Ostergren, 65, a longtime community activist in Hanover County, died Tuesday. Ostergren, of Mechanicsville, was vocal on government matters, and she received national media attention for her fight for Internet privacy. She was known by some as the “Virginia Watchdog” and founded The Virginia Watchdog website, where she advocated for more privacy online and retaliated against government officials by posting public records that included personal information about them.
    As I found out this summer, our number can come up at any time so fight every day like it's your last, never sell your guns and never say "Sir" just because someone's wearing a three piece suit.

BJ opened the door to privacy in the Clerks office which the CHP people followed to keep their information secret.
    Sad news, and well short of her "3 score years and ten." She -- and her activism -- will be missed.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Banned
    Any link to her web site? Sounds like a true corruption finder !

Unfortunately, our generation may be the last to have so many activists ... for a while

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Any link to her web site? Sounds like a true corruption finder !

Unfortunately, our generation may be the last to have so many activists ... for a while
    Kinda hard to find, unless you read all of the OP.

You may find it here.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

May she rest in peace and be blessed by The Creator, and my condolences to her and her family and the whole firearms community of VA. It sounds like we just lost a really amazing person and I believe we should all commit ourselves to picking up the slack left with her passing.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Another article with many more details about her life's pursuits.

I met her once, at the very beginning of my present involvement with RKBA issues, at a mid-summer sub-committee meeting that was hearing an early bill on the privacy of CHP records. It was apparent from her interaction with both the committee members and others attending the meeting that she was quite a force to deal with!

TFred

Betty 'BJ' Ostergren dies at 65 after battling cancer

A true fighter

She fought the best way possible -- with knowledge and facts.