• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BJ

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was saddened to hear that one of the great activists in Virginia has passed away.
Betty “BJ” Ostergren, 65, a longtime community activist in Hanover County, died Tuesday. Ostergren, of Mechanicsville, was vocal on government matters, and she received national media attention for her fight for Internet privacy. She was known by some as the “Virginia Watchdog” and founded The Virginia Watchdog website, where she advocated for more privacy online and retaliated against government officials by posting public records that included personal information about them.
As I found out this summer, our number can come up at any time so fight every day like it's your last, never sell your guns and never say "Sir" just because someone's wearing a three piece suit.

BJ opened the door to privacy in the Clerks office which the CHP people followed to keep their information secret.
Godspeed BJ....you are already missed.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I was saddened to hear that one of the great activists in Virginia has passed away.
Betty “BJ” Ostergren, 65, a longtime community activist in Hanover County, died Tuesday. Ostergren, of Mechanicsville, was vocal on government matters, and she received national media attention for her fight for Internet privacy. She was known by some as the “Virginia Watchdog” and founded The Virginia Watchdog website, where she advocated for more privacy online and retaliated against government officials by posting public records that included personal information about them.
As I found out this summer, our number can come up at any time so fight every day like it's your last, never sell your guns and never say "Sir" just because someone's wearing a three piece suit.

BJ opened the door to privacy in the Clerks office which the CHP people followed to keep their information secret.

Sad news, and well short of her "3 score years and ten." She -- and her activism -- will be missed.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Any link to her web site? Sounds like a true corruption finder !

Unfortunately, our generation may be the last to have so many activists ... for a while

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Any link to her web site? Sounds like a true corruption finder !

Unfortunately, our generation may be the last to have so many activists ... for a while
Kinda hard to find, unless you read all of the OP. :p

You may find it here.

Lafayette

May she rest in peace and be blessed by The Creator, and my condolences to her and her family and the whole firearms community of VA. It sounds like we just lost a really amazing person and I believe we should all commit ourselves to picking up the slack left with her passing.

TFred

Another article with many more details about her life's pursuits.

I met her once, at the very beginning of my present involvement with RKBA issues, at a mid-summer sub-committee meeting that was hearing an early bill on the privacy of CHP records. It was apparent from her interaction with both the committee members and others attending the meeting that she was quite a force to deal with!

TFred

Betty 'BJ' Ostergren dies at 65 after battling cancer